Author Topic: Help with query latter.  (Read 3996 times)

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
Help with query latter.
« on: July 12, 2016, 12:49:34 PM »
First I want to say thank you for reading this post and for any help you can give me.

My novel is finished and I am now ready to find an agent. The first, and I hope only, agent I want to submit to asks for a query letter, a synopsis of 1-2 pages, and the first 10 pages of my novel. My problem is every example of a query letter I've found looks like a synopsis. Also I have found no formating requirements for the sumission. Is there a standard for an email format i.e. double space, single space? I am confused and don't want to waste their time or mine with my novel if it will be tossed out of hand for not following the proper format.

Any insights would be great appreciated. Thank you.
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Help with query latter.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 02:30:03 AM »

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Help with query latter.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 06:20:01 AM »

Best query advice ever is Janet Reid's Query Shark blog. She has a good template. Keep it professional and short.  A query is not a cover letter and not a synopsis. It'll be an email these days, so format is straight forward business.

Generally, get to the point with your book specifics as Janet lists first paragraph. This is a formal business letter. Give a one or two short paragraph description of work (a bit more than a log line) and follow up w your writing credentials. Read Janet's advice if your creds are light.

THE GOAL OF A QUERY IS GET THEM TO ASK FOR PAGES. You don't get into long explanations anywhere, but make it zing. There are definite self-destruct word choices and phrases to avoid. No cute, "How will she save the world?" questions. See Query Shark. Add her via tweet too.

A synopsis is usually an attachment, I assume. Specifically,  it is single spaced and present tense. It is and isn't a listing of your plot points. And it needs to 'show' your voice and writing personality style for the work you are submitting. It shows you can be concise and professional. It will show your plot ability and that you can handle a long form work. And keep normal margins. Don't cheat. *smile* And don't hide the ending. You put it all out there.

My fav quote on synopsis was our Neurovore who said, "If I could tell my 400,000 word manuscript in two pages, I would have."

Honestly, if the editor or agent goes ape shit on synopsis ability, s/he and I will never get along anyway. I'd consider them ready for a mental ward. Not all agents ask for them and prefer those 1st 50 pages if they are interested, but here's their world...

Anyone can polish up the 1st 50 or pay someone to do it. A synopsis will show him/her that you can sustain it, understand plot structure, can create 3D characters, employ tension over the whole novel, and make the reader care/invest in your story.

And I don't think you'll sell your novel with either, but you might sell them on you. That's your goal. Aim for perking his/her interest in you..

Best wishes!

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess