Author Topic: Cinder Spire World  (Read 6015 times)

Offline SUPERsmitty

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Cinder Spire World
« on: July 05, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »
So I am only about halfway through the Audio Book and I am enjoying it so far.

I've been thinking about the series and the world the book is set within and I had a thought....
Alera was colonized by Romans (Specifically a lost Roman Legion). Does that mean Cinder Spire world was colonized by Greeks?  Or I wonder if perhaps the Builders were Altanians?

Just a thought.....what do y'all think?

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Cinder Spire World
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 03:34:08 AM »
Naw, I dont think so. It does seem to remind me of echos of the old countries.
Consider the flags of the various ships.

Offline Rozarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 03:33:56 AM »
Honestly I think that it is earth. Way in the future.  Albion is the english spire. Olympian greek. And so forth.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 01:55:16 PM »
My current working theory?  Cinder Spires is a future post-apocalyptic world, set after the Butcher equivalent of the Protoss invaded.

It lets me dream of an Alera Cinder Spires crossover where the vord-Zerg and some crystal energy wielding "Archangels" duke it out. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline lt_murgen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »
My belief is that this is a retro-future world.  Imagine a world where settlers from Earth arrived ages ago.  They planned to live in their space-ships for a decade or so until they got habitable natural cities built.  But they found that the atmosphere, somehow, was corrosive to their metal. 

So the spires are giant, tube-shaped spaceships covered in earth to protect their exteriors. 
Lol! I allwyas liked the big Bird = trex. It explains why they have t get new kids each season..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
My belief is that this is a retro-future world.  Imagine a world where settlers from Earth arrived ages ago.  They planned to live in their space-ships for a decade or so until they got habitable natural cities built.  But they found that the atmosphere, somehow, was corrosive to their metal. 

So the spires are giant, tube-shaped spaceships covered in earth to protect their exteriors.

Ill have to go looking to find the link, but I believe in a recent interview Jim stated that the different Spires are all different shapes and sizes.  That would still fit pretty well with spires as ships from a last-ditch Earth Evacuation fleet, which would need mass support systems similar to what the spires have.  Good Idea, I like it; simply being another planet with earth colonists would make the Mist and Ether much easier to explain, rather than it developing on a future Earth somehow.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline lt_murgen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
What brought me to that conclusion was the vat grown meat.  We know they can't farm the land, since the ground is repeatedly described as horribly dangerous.  We know they grow meat in vats.  It is likely they grow vegetables in vats as well.  With air ducts and power conduits described, it seemed very spaceship-like to me.

Lol! I allwyas liked the big Bird = trex. It explains why they have t get new kids each season..

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:25:36 PM »
What brought me to that conclusion was the vat grown meat.  We know they can't farm the land, since the ground is repeatedly described as horribly dangerous.  We know they grow meat in vats.  It is likely they grow vegetables in vats as well.  With air ducts and power conduits described, it seemed very spaceship-like to me.
Ya, they mentioned that, Gwen found the idea of plants grown in dirt instead of nice clean hydroponic nutrient vats to be gross. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/