Author Topic: There You Are  (Read 18448 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
There You Are
« on: May 29, 2016, 03:35:22 PM »
My previous thread recording each instance of "there you are" in the text has been deleted by the year end monster, so wanted a place to have a listing of these instances.  I've wondered if perhaps some of these instances are somehow related to Uriel and Id Harry's hint that "No matter where you go, there you are."  It should be noted that this saying comes from two sources acknowledged in text.

Fool Moon
My double slipped around me and got in my way before I could leave the circle of light. "Hold it. You really don't want to do this."
"I'm tired. I feel like shit. I'm hurt. And what I really don't want is to waste any more time dreaming about you." I narrowed my eyes at my double. "Now get out of my way." I turned to my right and started walking toward the nearest edge of the circle. My double slipped in front of me again, apparently without needing to cross the intervening space.
"It isn't that simple, Harry. No matter where you go, there you are."

Grave Peril
I felt my smile harden, and I peered past the spotlights to the
dias. "Bianca, dear, there you are. This was a costume party, was it not? A masquerade? And we were all supposed to come dressed as something we weren't? If I misread the invitation, I apologize."

The crowd parted at one side, and Thomas and Justine came to us, blazes of pale skin and brilliant color amidst the scarlet and black. "There you are," Thomas said. He glanced down at my goblet and let out a sigh. "I'm glad I found you in time."
"In time for what?" I asked.
"To warn you," he said. He flicked a hand at the refreshments table. "The wine is poisoned."

Then I was in a new place. In the dark. Cold stone chilled me where I lay upon it. All around me where the whispers of things moving in the shadows. Scaly rasps. Soft, hungry hisses, together with the gleam of malevolent eyes. My heart pounded in my throat.
"There you are," whispered one of the voices. "I watched them have you, you know."

Summer Knight
I sat there, too tired to move, until the lights began to dim. I vaguely remember feeling Ebenezar heft me off the ground and get my arm across his shoulders. The Gatekeeper murmured something, and Billy answered him. I woke up back at my place, in bed. Billy, who had been dozing in a chair next to the bed, woke up with a snort and said, "Hey, there you are. You thirsty?"

Changes
“Martin and Susan are seeing what they can get off the disk,” I said. “They’ll contact me as soon as they know something. Meantime, I’ll get a couple hours horizontal, then start hitting my contacts. Go to the Council and ask them for help.”
“That bunch of heartless, gutless, spineless old pricks,” she said.
I found myself smiling, a little, at my coffee.
“Are they going to give it to you?” Murphy asked.
“Maybe. It’s complicated,” I said. “Are you going to get CPD to help me?”
Her eyes darkened. “Maybe. It’s complicated.”
I spread my hands in a “there you are” gesture, and she nodded. She rose and paced over to the sink to put her cup down. “What can I do to help?”

There you are,” she said irritably. “I’ve been calling your house all evening, Harry.”
“Sorry, Mrs. S,” I said. “I’ve been out.”
I don’t think she could make out the words very well, but she wasn’t stupid. “Obviously you’ve been out,” she said. “What happened to your nice new door? It’s wide-open! If we get another one of those freak thunderstorms, the rain will pour right in and we’ll have mold climbing up the walls before you can say Jack Robinson.”

Ghost Story
Stan hadn’t deserved it. He hadn’t been looking for it. And that creature, that demon, had murdered him. I felt my jaw begin to ache as it clenched harder and harder. I could feel my rapid pulse beating behind my eyes. There was a terrible pressure inside my head and inside my chest, and with it came a rising wave of anger, and something darker and deadlier than anger that came welling up like a great wave from an unlit sea.
It. Wasn’t. Right.
No, it wasn’t. But the world wasn’t a fair place, was it? And I had more reason to know it than most people twice my age. The world wasn’t nice, and it wasn’t fair. People who didn’t deserve it suffered and died every single day. So what? So somebody ought to do something about it.
My right arm and shoulder burned like fire as I felt my right hand slowly form a tight fist. The knuckles popped one by one. They hadn’t ever done that before. I turned to face the creature’s image in the reflection. It was crouched over Stan’s corpse, its talons tapping lightly on the dead man’s open eyes, its mouth still stretched into that horrible, wide smile.
And when it saw the look on my face, its smile widened and its eyes narrowed.
“Ahhhh,” it said. “Ahhhhh. There you are.”

“Well, that’s what I mean,” I said. “The scale still isn’t balanced. And I don’t think you send people back just for kicks.”
Uriel regarded me pleasantly. He said nothing.
“So you did it for a reason. Something you couldn’t have gotten with your seven whispered words.”
“Perhaps it was to balance the situation with Molly,” he said.
I snorted. “Yeah. I bet all the time you go around solving your problems one by one, in neat little rows. I bet you never, ever try to hit two birds with one stone.”
Uriel regarded me pleasantly. He said nothing.
“I’m headed for the great beyond, and you still won’t give me a straight answer?” I demanded, smiling.
Uriel regarded me pleasantly. He said nothing. A lot. I laughed again.
“Tell you what, big guy. Just tell me something. Something useful. I’ll be happy with whatever I get.”
He pursed his lips and thought about it for a moment. Then he said, “No matter where you go, there you are.” I blinked. “Goodness,” I said. “Buckaroo Banzai?”
 “Confucius,” he said.

Cold Days
“Harry,” Thomas said.
“Harry, easy, easy. You’re safe.” There were lights in my eyes. They weren’t pleasant. I squinted against them until I could see Thomas’s upside-down head looming over me.
There you are,” Thomas said. “We were getting worried.”
He lifted his hands from my arms and gave the side of my face something somewhere between a pat and a slap. “You weren’t waking up.”
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:27:32 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Argonometra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: There You Are
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 11:22:09 PM »
Great, now I have the Portal turrets stuck in my head.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 02:21:44 AM »
one of the problems I see with the theory is Jim has a habit of saying the same things a lot.  He uses "snorted" a lot in the series if you watch for it....  So it could be Jim dropping hints or just his writing style.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline nistrum

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 03:13:40 AM »
I'm more interested in the full statement "where ever you go , there you are."  that line is a "Proverb" meaning sometime the problems you face are of your own making.  So the question is why do all these different people keep telling Harry "Where ever you go , there you are"? 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 04:17:28 AM »
I'm more interested in the full statement "where ever you go , there you are."  that line is a "Proverb" meaning sometime the problems you face are of your own making.  So the question is why do all these different people keep telling Harry "Where ever you go , there you are"?

I just saw something where the meaning is "One cannot run from ones problems indefinitely"
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 02:32:17 PM »
one of the problems I see with the theory is Jim has a habit of saying the same things a lot.  He uses "snorted" a lot in the series if you watch for it....  So it could be Jim dropping hints or just his writing style.
It's just his writing style.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 02:56:35 PM »
I will concede that not every instance of "there you are" is significant.  I say the phrase has potential in that say Harry for whatever reason does time travel say into the past.  I can see someone come up to him and say "there you are" mistaking this TT Harry for Harry.  Or, on the other hand, recognizing the TT Harry and saying the same thing.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 11:31:19 PM »
Changes
... I have to leave off at this point cuz i don't have pdf files for the rest of the books, I got kindle app for them and they don't allow me to copy and paste.  I'll return here.

I believe his landlady said something similar during the fire.

Offline Moglorosh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 01:08:45 AM »
I have all of them on the kindle app and I've never had a problem copy/pasting from it on android. 

On topic:  I'm leaning towards it being an incredibly common phrase with no real significance.  Of course I could be wrong.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 08:16:25 PM »
Just added instances from Changes on...

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 08:27:18 PM »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 08:31:58 PM »
It's clear that "No matter where you go, there you are" has some significance we just don't know yet.  My aim with this is to ask if perhaps part of the mystery lies in some of the instances in which "there you are" is used has added significance in a return to some of these instances.  Grave Peril being a prime candidate for Harry to return to in some capacity.  I'd argue Changes as being another instance, not to mention Harry's take down of HWWB when he was just 16 years old.

So, Id Harry tells Harry "No matter where you go, there you are."
Uriel tells Harry the same thing "No matter where you go, there you are."  This was something Uriel considered useful for Harry to know, though Harry was totally clueless as to what it meant.
Reviewing some of the instances' I'd say Mrs. Spunklecrief had a hidden conversation with another Harry that was present and overlayed on top of Harry in Changes.
Harry returns to some of the events in Grave Peril.  He returns in some capacity to Changes.
Some futuristic Harry assisted a younger self in the flashback to Harry vs. HWWB.  Alternatively, a Archangel whispered words into the ears of a young Harry to help him defeat HWWB.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:37:25 PM by raidem »

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »
raidem,

I want to shuttle this to the DFRC, but it is typically best to let topics bake in the spoilers section first, since active discussion happens here more than in the DFRC (which is as it should be).  Please don't let this one fall off my radar.  If it cools off and is done "baking" and you think it should be moved, nudge me.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 06:44:12 PM »
I will.  Thanks for the consideration. :)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 06:45:48 PM »
I still won't be surprised if Merlin turns out to be Harry who time travels to the distant past.