Author Topic: Thaumaturgic blocks  (Read 8153 times)

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Thaumaturgic blocks
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2013, 04:30:30 AM »
It never should have been 'designed' as a block in the first place.
The fact that it's narrated as preventing action rather than inflicting harm has no bearing on the fact that the intended result is to remove a character from the conflict.  That is the effect of a Taken-Out result.

The subject of the block isn't taken out of the conflict and can still act, though, if the block is strong enough, they would be well advised to act in ways not covered by the block, possibly building up enough assessments, maneuvers and declarations to get themselves out or at least continuing to influence the conflict, albeit in a circumscribed manner.

A simple zone barrier could have the same impact in the right circumstances, delaying the conflict until it could be overcome, that is no reason to model it as a zone attack.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013, 05:15:35 AM »
...the intended result is to remove a character from the conflict.

Is it?

I didn't think so.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2013, 11:30:26 AM »
I guess since Dresden is a flexible system you just have to adjudicate every spell the same way you adjudicate any custom power or stunt.

Is it fair? Is it balanced?  Does it maintain the desired fiction/narration.

My feeling is permanent combat related blocks are not balanced while others may be.

Can someone give me a link where it's mentioned by a developer that one should buy powers to replicate long term thaum effects.

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 04:47:20 AM »
See bolded: I think this was something recommended by the game designers.

Hey! I know where this can be found! I have it bookmarked because its valuable in understanding how the magic system was designed and intended to be used. These are old posts from threads talking about the game before it was released.

This is Thaumaturgic Shapeshifting

This is Thaumaturgic Skill Boosts
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks Troy, that first link clears a lot up.

Offline ironwolf16

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2016, 01:07:49 AM »
what if the block had a time of instant?  lets say you had a block against mental attacks you are looking at a 10 shift to get it to last a day that's a pretty hefty ritual.

Offline ironwolf16

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
actually rereading the rules thaumaturgy cant do blocks only wards and wards are immobile.  evocation is the only thing that can provide a block or enchanted items (yes crafting is thaumaturgy but can act as evocation)  so the metal block would have to be some type of item/potion.   

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »
actually rereading the rules thaumaturgy cant do blocks only wards and wards are immobile.  evocation is the only thing that can provide a block or enchanted items (yes crafting is thaumaturgy but can act as evocation)  so the metal block would have to be some type of item/potion.   
Actually, it is perfectly legal to raise a Thaum. ward against mental attacks, assuming you have time/resources.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
If you are behind a ward/threshold, you will be protected from mental attacks. 

If you have items that block mental attacks, those will protect you.

You could raise a spirit evocation block against mental attacks but that would be short lived

You could do a 'quick' thaum ritual (like how Harry protected himself against Elaine's mind fog).  Which would last for the whole scene. But you'd be stuck in a circle.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 11:43:54 PM »
If you are behind a ward/threshold, you will be protected from mental attacks. 
Based on Harry's recollection of the events in "Grave Peril," that's not always a sure thing--though I'm at a loss how to adjudicate it myself. 

That said, I understand your point.  I might be nit-picking here were I to say that barring special circumstances, the above normally applies.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2016, 11:46:54 PM »
It's never a sure thing.  It just acts as a block.  If the attack was higher than the block you'll still take damage. 

Or, if the attacker is inside the threshold with you, use the threshold rules.