Author Topic: Windlass Cosplay  (Read 6193 times)

Offline nedserD C B yrraH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Windlass Cosplay
« on: March 28, 2016, 03:02:28 AM »
Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting; apologies in advance for awkwardness. I want to cosplay as Benedict this year at DragonCon. So far I know I'll need contacts and I already have fangs. I have plans for the clothes, and I plan to be wounded. I just need a better idea of what the gauntlets look like.  I remember that they touch the wearer's palm. Gwen has some straps, specifically #3, adjusted on hers. It fires from the palm, "Iron Man" style. There is a wire framework that heats up with too much use, long guns have a type of coolant system to help them with the higher power and frequency of use. The cannons combine 2 types of crystal plus a barrel. I can't take notes cause I keep getting swept up in the story.

I would love to see anyone's sketches or even just thoughts on how the weapon crystals work. I can probably fabricate a few different ideas if I get started in the next month, but I need a sounding board. I appreciate everyone's help.
I'm not a Fanboy, I just Squee a lot.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 53.1%

All scores:
Supernatural Power:75.7%
Social Skills:45.5%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:41.8

Offline pamswann

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Windlass Cosplay
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:27:55 PM »
Hello. Already planning my aeronaut 's captain coat for Dragoncon. (My god I'll need a hat!) My book is currently on loan amoungnst my brood and a second on the way to dissect for costuming. Alot of his descriptions are vague, relying on the reader to provide the imagery. The gauntlet requires room around the arm but can be worn under a coat, but atop a shirt to slow burns.  Leather to hold and copper spiraling around encasing the palm and arm/forearm  (control? energy transfer which the crystal amplifies?) Again, the sneaky depends on reader supplied imagery. Clothing roughly Edwardian twisted for upper air streams (spires are 10,000 feet tall- almost 2 miles)and LOTS of steps. When talking to my cosplayer, they remarked "like your wind thingys in the flower bed?" when I described the gauntlet. I find that as good as any place to start. It's the goggles that are giving me issues on design and wear ability (with a HAT! A largish hat?).

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 04:04:20 AM »
If you still need a better idea of what the gauntlets look like, Jim describes them here at around the 30:15 mark.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:37:06 AM »
Thank you.  I was really curious about how the cage around the forearm connected to the crystal at the palm. Wires.  I've often wondered about the insulation that would be needed in this world since electricity clearly seems to follow familiar rules. I remember the cages get hot with waste heat similar to gun barrels over-heating, maybe from conducting the ether to the crystal.  Do you know of any WoJ that deals with the the gauntlet cages? I know in AW mention is made of twisting around the forearm. Just want as amany points of reference as possible.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

All scores:

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 05:16:18 PM »
Sorry, that's the most detailed version I'm aware of.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 05:17:18 AM »
There is a Cinder Spires Photoshoot group on FB for DragonCon.

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:26 AM »
I was super lucky and photographed Jim and his friends in Cinder Spires cosplay at DragonCon 2015. You can check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/113471438698423/photos/?tab=album&album_id=943332925712266 This will give you a better idea of the gauntlets

I am planning a group shoot for Cinder Spires at DragonCon this year. You can join the group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/967783269949138/

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 08:04:48 AM »
Hello. Already planning my aeronaut 's captain coat for Dragoncon. (My god I'll need a hat!) My book is currently on loan amoungnst my brood and a second on the way to dissect for costuming. Alot of his descriptions are vague, relying on the reader to provide the imagery. The gauntlet requires room around the arm but can be worn under a coat, but atop a shirt to slow burns.  Leather to hold and copper spiraling around encasing the palm and arm/forearm  (control? energy transfer which the crystal amplifies?) Again, the sneaky depends on reader supplied imagery. Clothing roughly Edwardian twisted for upper air streams (spires are 10,000 feet tall- almost 2 miles)and LOTS of steps. When talking to my cosplayer, they remarked "like your wind thingys in the flower bed?" when I described the gauntlet. I find that as good as any place to start. It's the goggles that are giving me issues on design and wear ability (with a HAT! A largish hat?).

FYI, despite what you see Jim wearing in his Grimm cosplay at DragonCon, I have it directly from the source that Grimm's hat is this style: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c5/2f/a8/c52fa8fcb470b5b1a92118ce94a7decf.jpg It is NOT a bicorn or tricorn (as interesting as that would be).

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 03:56:30 PM »
Here's what I have so far.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/dramarook/Benedict%20Gauntlet1_zpshxhgowtg.jpg

It needs some details and I plan on adding "ethersilk" connecting the 3 silver nodes to the crystal. It is motion reactive and wired up.

Thank you to everyone on this thread for keeping me inspired.

All scores:

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 08:38:31 PM »
Oooh, it looks very good!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)