Author Topic: Shape of a Shroud?  (Read 4724 times)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Shape of a Shroud?
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:24:03 AM »
Sick in bed, so rereading Cinder Spires here, and I got to wondering if it is explicitly mentioned what sort of shape the shroud projects.  Barring other information I would assume it's a sphere, but this would mean that the front/back of the ship is more vulnerable to attack (closer to the edge of the shroud), and I don't remember seeing any mention of that.

(Obviously this wouldn't hold for ship with multiple cores).
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
Re: Shape of a Shroud?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:52:06 AM »
I want to say that ships have the ability to focus its shroud to specific portions of the ship, but I can't remember if that was actually in the book.  If so, spherical or elliptical seems the easiest to handle all around.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:08:43 AM »
I want to say that ships have the ability to focus its shroud to specific portions of the ship, but I can't remember if that was actually in the book.  If so, spherical or elliptical seems the easiest to handle all around.

I haven't seen a quote like that, but I will keep an eye out for it.  Maybe "the electrical runs" can somehow modify the shape of the shroud.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:47:02 AM »
I haven't seen a quote like that, but I will keep an eye out for it.  Maybe "the electrical runs" can somehow modify the shape of the shroud.
I think it was either in the Itasca chase at the end or when all the moored airships were getting destroyed at Habble Landing.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 06:21:34 PM »
I think it was either in the Itasca chase at the end or when all the moored airships were getting destroyed at Habble Landing.

Found it at the latter point.  They make the top hemisphere of the shroud stronger.  This basically solves it, as this is pretty much equivalent to extending the shroud in that direction.

Good catch.
DV Geek code:

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 07:03:42 PM »
I wouldn't expect the shroud to be extended so much as become denser, though.  For example, the shroud can't extend to protect the entire webbing.  (It isn't clear if it can't do this or if it just isn't a good idea to do this b/c it prevents the ship from sailing effectively)

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 01:08:35 AM »
I wouldn't expect the shroud to be extended so much as become denser, though. 

Sure, though for purposes of protection (over the covered parts) it's essentially equivalent.
DV Geek code: