Author Topic: Albion  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Queen Mabb

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Albion
« on: December 10, 2015, 02:32:04 AM »
I just looked up the word "Albion" and wouldn't you know, it's a little town in Oklahoma in Pushmataha county!  As a reader from Oklahoma, I am thrilled to see Mr. Butcher named one of his Spires after one of our towns! ;)

Offline Maredudd

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • My Website . . . or is that my wife's?
Re: Albion
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 04:13:15 AM »
Albion is also one of the earliest known names for the British Isles.
The question isn't "Can I do this . . . "
The question you should ask is "Should I do this . . . "

Offline ITheHellAmFan

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 02:47:55 PM »
Not to put words in their mouth, but given the  ;) emoticon, I'm guessing Queen Mabb realizes that and meant her comment as a joke.
"I will not treat your dusty path and flat,
Denoting this and that by this and that,
Your world immutable wherein no part
the little maker has with maker's art."
-Mythopoeia, J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline mountainsoul

• Conversationalist
  • #34. I will not turn into a snake. It never helps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 01:55:45 AM »
Always amuses me that I live about 4 miles from Dallas
The original Dallas
It's 1 street in the middle of Moray in north Scotland but it's very pretty!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.5515394,-3.4663876,1100m/data=!3m1!1e3 if you'd like to see it :)
Great things are done when men and mountains meet, these are not done on the jostling street - Blake.

Tarvek - "You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it."
Agatha - "If that's what you think then you're DOING IT WRONG!"

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:48:19 PM »
I grew up near what is quite possibly the only 'Lincoln' in the U.S. *not* named for Abe-- it's named for the place the town founders emigrated from. Lots of towns in New England have old world parent/sister cities-- unfortunately, sometimes it means you have to ask which state, since the names are often repeated!

Offline Beereakfast

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:29:16 AM »
Nova Albion was the name Sir Francis Drake called the place he landed in California, now called Pt.Reyes. As a history dork who used to backpack there. Thanks for a better understanding of the name. And please excuse my intrusion on your forum! Cheers!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 08:12:57 PM »
I grew up near what is quite possibly the only 'Lincoln' in the U.S. *not* named for Abe-- it's named for the place the town founders emigrated from. Lots of towns in New England have old world parent/sister cities-- unfortunately, sometimes it means you have to ask which state, since the names are often repeated!

We have a town called "Lincoln" in Argentina  :). It was named for Abe, though. The legend (probably false) goes that it was the first town in the world who received its name after Lincoln's assassination and so it was decided to give it his name in a sort of hommage (It is true the city was named in the same year Lincoln died, and it was probably the first Argentinian town which received its name after that moment, what I doubt is that it was the first town "in the world").

We also have the Lincoln cookies  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:04:04 PM »
There's a "Washington" in England, in Durham County. So we have the original "Washington, DC" ;D