Author Topic: A question on the publishing process  (Read 4743 times)

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
A question on the publishing process
« on: December 31, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
Hi, all! Happy new 2016 (almost) :D

I have a question about the publishing process as I am writing a book about an author (very meta of me, I know 8) ) and I was hoping someone who knows the business will be able to help me out.

Basically, I would like to know the stages a book goes through from a publisher saying yes to the book hitting the stores.
I imagine that there will be several rounds of edits to start off, and then proofreading (galley proofs was the term wikipedia turned up for me), and then maybe some more minor edits (spelling, grammar etc) before printing and distribution. Is this correct? Or have I left out anything important? My author writes YA fantasy/sci-fi, by the way, if that makes a difference.

Specifically, I would also like to know when is the last time (like seriously seriously last time) an author can feasibly make plot changes to a book prior to publication. I  think (from Googling) that the last time one can make actual changes in terms of plot is in the first galley proof, as after this only spelling and glaring errors can be revised (because apparently it costs money to make changes at this stage), but as I say, this is all stuff I've gotten from the internet and it could all be untrue....also, would it make a difference if the author in question was very famous and/or a bestselling author (think JK Rowling bestselling)? Would they get more leeway in that case?

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 02:57:45 PM by arianne »
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: A question on the publishing process
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »
I self-publish via amazon so I can't help you there.  Maybe ask Panesgrey?  I know he had a book he was shopping around or goiing to be shopping around but I never did hear how it turned out.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline The Syntax Soviet

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 05:55:02 PM »
Hello Arriane,

I've been working with my brother for several years on editing and publishing his works. Our experience (prior to starting our own company) might be of some use...

Last question first: I'm not sure how the big five work. One consistent theme I've run across in author's blogs is "teams."
An editing team, (composed of a developmental editor and several peons) develops the content of the book, working through the various stages of editing that you mentioned.
An art team designs the internal and external appearance of the book, crafting cover art that fits both the book and the market. (Remember, cover art might be the number one selling factor of a book, so in the publisher's view, this team is probably going to be just as important as the editing team.)
Then you have a marketing team, which creates channels for book sales, promotions, etc.

From what I've gathered, much of the book development process is the coordination (or lack thereof) of the various teams working on the book.

Now, back to the question: do well-known authors get more leeway? Probably. If you want evidence of that, just look at Patrick Rothfuss or George R. R. Martin. Martin recently delayed his next book release for the five hundredth time, despite having multiple legal contracts that said otherwise. If he was just a midlist author instead of one of the best known authors on the planet? I'm guessing his publisher would have dropped him in a heartbeat. And probably fed him to the sharks as a warning to other upstart writers, while they were at it.

As far as the stages of editing, those depend on two things:
1. The publisher's editing style. All publishers maintain an in-house editing style, and so I would say that their editing process must be individual to both the publisher and the book as well. Some books need months or years of editing to produce a polished product. Others require far less work. Terry Goodkind claims that he submits his novels as nearly finished products, with only very minor revision necessary before publication.

2. The printing method the publisher employs. Digital printing is the realm of self-pubs, but many smaller publishing houses are now using it as well. Because they don't have much (if any) standing capital, the lack of initial investment in a book is worth the greater per-unit price. Traditional publishers, on the other hand, use traditional offset printing, which the requires the creation of an actual physical printing medium. (It's the modern version of those big wooden blocks that monks once carved letters into by hand). Traditional offset is expensive initially, but it produces individual books at around a third of the cost, so in the long run, it's much more cost effective.

Apologies, getting to the point now... Traditional offset printing requires the creation of very expensive "book plates." Once these physical plates are created, it's very expensive to create new ones, so your author can no longer make changes to his book.
However, with a small publisher using digital printing, there's only an electronic file. Making a change to the book is as simple as resubmitting the file, and costs almost nothing. The only real limitation is how much headache the publisher is willing to put up with.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I hope it was helpful! If anyone can correct anything I've said, please do.
Best of luck!

(P.S. If you own one of Butcher's books, then you're familiar with traditional offset printing. If you want to see an example of a digitally published book, look here: http://www.amazon.com/Sidewinder-Daniel-Stephen-Foster/dp/1941842003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452101969&sr=8-1&keywords=Sidewinder+foster)

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 04:31:21 PM »
Thanks, The Syntax Soviet!

Yes, your post was very helpful indeed. Helped me get a lot of things straight about the process.

Would you happen to know the last feasible time a plot can be changed during the process? I imagine it will be before the book plates are made, but how much before?

For example, would it be feasible for JK Rowling to say at some point during the publishing/pre-printing process (after submitting the final draft and going through the initial edits) "Sorry, I've decided to kill another character"? And if so, at which stage of proceedings would publishers be likely to reply, "Sorry, not gonna happen"? Or is she famous enough that she would be likely to given a lot of leeway (for example, they might let her change the plot even though the book plates had already been made?)
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline The Syntax Soviet

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:50:49 PM »
Sure thing, Arianne!

I'm honestly not sure. If you want definite information, you might be able to Google "delayed book release" or some variant thereof, and look for author blogs. Unless you know an NYT best-selling author personally, that would probably be your best bet.
However, instead of running down an individual case, you could probably just research the process and make up your own specific deadlines.

Every book that's published is going to have slightly different deadlines/restrictions based on the publishing house, developmental editor, creation and marketing teams, the author, and even the book itself. One thing I CAN tell you for certain is that publishing houses are businesses; their primary concern is making money. If delaying a book while the author makes changes will increase audience anticipation and potential sales? They'll do it. If delaying the book will cost them money? I doubt it.

Here's Bloomsbury's author-guide for their process. Might make a decent model: http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/academic/for-authors/a-guide-to-the-publishing-process/

Hope this was helpful! In bocca al lupo!