Author Topic: Creating NPC: Rumpelstiltskin  (Read 5115 times)

Offline MidgeyCricket

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Creating NPC: Rumpelstiltskin
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »
I'm a new GM developing a campaign set in Boston. I have a basic concept in mind for creating an NPC of Rumpelstiltskin, but was hoping folks might have some guidance/advice on powers/stunts, etc. For those of you unfamiliar with The Brother's Grimm tale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpelstiltskin (I'm also borrowing elements from the TV show Once Upon a Time).

I'd like to focus on the spinning straw into gold (Money Laundering), bargaining (Sidhe), name (catch = whoever posses the dagger with his name on it can control him), and never seen from again (exiled to our world).

High Concept: Money Laundering Attorney for White Collar Elite
Trouble: Disgraced Sidhe in Exile
Other Aspects: Everything Comes with a Price, Names are Power...

Any suggestions on refresh, skills, stunts, & powers for this NPC would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Creating NPC: Rumpelstiltskin
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 11:05:28 PM »
I'm not overly familiar with the Brother's Grimm tale, but after a quick glance at the link you provided I'll give his powers a shot.

Straw into gold could either be a version of the Incite Effect custom power, or Transformation Thaumaturgy.

He's a Sidhe, so I'd throw him some Greater Glamours.

That's really all to me. The dagger thing seems best handled as an Aspect.

"The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, the sky responded with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again."

Offline MidgeyCricket

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
That's fantastic. Thanks so much!

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 05:17:01 PM »
I'd just say that if they know his name, they have power over him:  Can bypass his toughness, summon him, weaken his powers, control him.

True Names are a Dresden staple and I think the story just illustrates how the Princess gained control over Rumpelstiltskin by learning his name.  She was in debt to him but then she was able to turn the tables able to dismiss/exorcise him.

Straw into gold would work well with transmutation.

I read an alternate version of Rumpelstiltskin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpqaOP3UdQ8

It was cute and a cool alternative to the fairy tale - giving an inside look into the the character of Rumpelstiltskin.

I might give him world walking as well.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »
Remember that names in Dresden aren't just the letters, but also exact pronunciation and inflection.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
Remember that names in Dresden aren't just the letters, but also exact pronunciation and inflection.

Which you would build into the rebate for the catch.  Just knowing the name might not be enough and it would require proper research etc...

Offline MidgeyCricket

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 07:53:30 PM »
Thank you all for the advice! I'm really looking forward to using this one in my upcoming game. I think I'm going to expand this character's influence into various enterprises, one being a bar (The Bull & Finch) where the magically inclined (transients or residents) may choose to sign the visitor's log affording them the protections of the owner...  though much like the Godfather, the day may come where Rumplestiltskin needs a favor... after all, the Bull & Finch is actually the bar from Cheers, you know, "where everybody knows your name."  ;D

Offline Kennifus Prime

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
I decided to take a shot at making a sheet for Rumpelstiltskin strictly based on Once Upon A Time. I haven't seen the season recently airing, but I pretty much based him off the early incarnations anyways. I tried to stay pretty true to the character, as much as the game mechanics would allow. Had to fiddle with Item of Power and The Catch a bit though. His spinning of straw into gold would be handled by Thaumaturgy (more specifically transformation). For his teleporting capabilities I threw in Worldwalker. Most of his other demonstrated powers (fireballs, curses, potions, etc.) would all just fall under Evocation and Thaumaturgy. I didn't list any Focus/Enchanted Items or Rotes, as he's not technically a Wizard, but I may add these later once I can recall if he had anything in the show that would pass as these mechanics.

MidgeyCricket: I know this isn't the character type you were looking for, as it's a man with powers rather than an outcast Sidhe, but I figured I'd post it in hopes it could give you some ideas. That or anyone who wanted to use the OUAT version would have somewhere to start as well. Hope this helps!

ASPECTS
HIGH CONCEPT: The Dark One
TROUBLE: Bound to the Dagger
ASPECT:  Names are Power
ASPECT:  All Magic Comes with a Price
ASPECT:  A Man Turned Monster
ASPECT:  Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely
ASPECT:  I Will Find My Son

SKILLS (+45/45)
SUPERB (+5):  Conviction, Discipline
GREAT (+4):  Contacts, Deceit, Lore
GOOD (+3):  Alertness, Intimidation, Presence
FAIR (+2):  Investigation, Performance, Rapport, Resources
AVERAGE (+1): Athletics, Burglary, Empathy, Endurance, Stealth, Weapons

STUNTS
HONEST LIES [-1] (YS pg. 151)

POWERS
EVOCATION [-3] Power 5 / Control 5 (YS pg. 249)
Spirit 5/6
Fire 5/5
Air 5/5
Specialization: +1 Control to Spirit Magic

THAUMATURGY [-3] (YS pg. 261)
Specialization: Transformation +1 Control Bonus

GREATER GLAMOURS [-4] (YS pg. 166)

WORLDWALKER [-2] (YS pg. 171)

SUPERNATURAL SENSES: HEARING [-2] (Custom Power)
No matter where Rumpelstiltskin is he can hear his name called, though he does not have to answer.

PHYSICAL IMMUNITY [-8] (YS pg. 186)

THE CATCH: The Dark One’s Dagger [+1] (YS pg. 185)
Rumpelstiltskin may only be hurt by his own dagger. If killed the powers of the Dark One are transferred.

UNDYING [-0] (Custom Power)
Deathless: Rumpelstiltskin cannot be killed unless it’s by his own dagger.

ITEM OF POWER: The Dark One’s Dagger [+0] (YS pg. 167)
This item grants Rumpelstiltskin all of his Powers, but whoever physically holds it may command him.

TOTAL REFRESH COST: -22

STRESS
PHYSICAL: OOO
MENTAL: OOOO
SOCIAL: OOOO

EDIT: Fixed grammatical and spelling errors, as well as various typos.
EDIT: Updated The Catch from +0 rebate to +1 rebate, due to the fact that within the Dresdenverse a good Wizard's library (or Bob) would likely discover the link.
EDIT: Modified opening paragraph and separated out notes to original poster MidgeyCricket.
EDIT: Anyone have any ideas on summoning him based on his name? Not his True Name, but just like how you may call Mab by chanting her name three times. This works with fae in the Dresden Files, but as I've built the character to be a human with a mantle of power like the TV show (not a Sidhe) I'm not sure how that works. Obviously one could use a ritual circle, and attempt summoning/binding, but I more so mean just randomly trying to summon him by calling out to him. This is done a lot in the TV show, people call to him and he appears.
EDIT: To avoid confusion I changed "possesses" to "physically holds" for the description of Item of Power. As "possession" is more of an ownership keyword I think. Rumpelstiltkin OWNS the dagger, but you can HOLD it and command him.
EDIT: Added the UNDYING Custom Power.
EDIT: Added the SUPERNATURAL SENSES Custom Power.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:10:52 AM by Kennifus Prime »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 02:10:26 PM »
I'd give a +1 rebate for the IoP

Maybe another for the physical immunity(if he always carries it on him), since the source of his catch is always 'readily available' if you know about it.

Kind of like Nic's noose.

I haven't watched Once Upon a Time but, certainly, no magical dagger appears in the fairy tale.  Is there some kind of connection made between the two stories?

Offline Kennifus Prime

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 06:08:53 PM »
I'd give a +1 rebate for the IoP

Maybe another for the physical immunity(if he always carries it on him), since the source of his catch is always 'readily available' if you know about it.

Kind of like Nic's noose.

I haven't watched Once Upon a Time but, certainly, no magical dagger appears in the fairy tale.  Is there some kind of connection made between the two stories?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've included my responses in a spoiler tag below for those who do not want spoilers from the TV show Once Upon A Time.

(click to show/hide)

Spoiler-Free / tl;dr
No IoP rebate due to not keeping the dagger on his person, but rather hidden away. And I may change the rebate to +1 for The Catch since the dagger link could be discovered by a good Wizard's library (or Bob lol).

EDIT: Anyone have any ideas on summoning him based on his name? Not his True Name, but just like how you may call Mab by chanting her name three times. This works with fae in the Dresden Files, but as I've built the character to be a human with a mantle of power like the TV show (not a Sidhe) I'm not sure how that works. Obviously one could use a ritual circle, and attempt summoning/binding, but I more so mean just randomly trying to summon him by calling out to him. This is done a lot in the TV show, people call to him and he appears.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:21:40 PM by Kennifus Prime »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »
Well, things with no free will are compelled to answer a call.

Since he's got free will, it'll be a crap shoot if he shows or not.

Ideas:

1. Give him an aspect that involves him wanting to answer summons.  Have the GM compel it.

2. Give him a supernatural sense that let's him hear his name.  Then leave it up to the player to decide whether or not to answer.

3. Combine 1 and 2.