Author Topic: Folly Refers to ...? (Spoilers)  (Read 14519 times)

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
Re: Folly Refers to ...? (Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 12:10:03 AM »
I know the WoJ about Dresden and Alera happening at the same time. That comparison was to illustrate Alera's historical development. It did not suggest conneted universes, at least not to me.
Both the Alera and Dresden Storyworlds are fictional versions of our own, yes. But are they the same fictional version? There is nothing to suggest that.

Unless that WoJ about Harry and Tavi sharing a bloodline exists, which i don't know.
They're part of the cosmere. Well, Jim's version anyways
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 04:52:02 PM »
They're part of the cosmere. Well, Jim's version anyways
Nah, the Cosmere is a single universe (actually a single solar system for the most part irrc)  Jim's book's, if they tie together all meta like that, look like they'd be more of a Multiverse.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Morenath

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 12:02:56 AM »
Assuming Tavi is part of a lost Roman legion, it's 2000 years roughly since they got to Alera.  That would easily put them at the same time.  Dresden being related is a stretch, since the whole legion was swallowed.  He'd have to have been related to a family member that wasn't swallowed by the portal 2000 years in advance.  Just stretches the imagination.

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 02:07:49 AM »
Assuming Tavi is part of a lost Roman legion, it's 2000 years roughly since they got to Alera.  That would easily put them at the same time.  Dresden being related is a stretch, since the whole legion was swallowed.  He'd have to have been related to a family member that wasn't swallowed by the portal 2000 years in advance.  Just stretches the imagination.
Well, all the knights so far are related to the same king so it's not that hard to believe
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 05:39:32 PM »
Well, all the knights so far are related to the same king so it's not that hard to believe
I dont think they are.  Michael is related to Charlemagne, Sanya to “Salahuddin, King of Syria and Egypt during the Crusades?”, and Shiro "was a direct descendent of the last king of Okinawa."  Sure, there are genological theories that like 1/3 of all people alive today are related to Gangis khan or whatever, but so far they all have closer and more specific relations.  Granted, we dont know what relation Murphy or Butters have, and the closest one we can confirm with Susan is technically the Red King himself (if Vampire bloodlines count)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 04:30:45 AM »
Harry and Tavi are said to be part of the same bloodline, not necessarily descended from the same person. That heritage bestows something important. Like how Constantine had a heritage that allowed him to face epic level magical threats.

It is not the cops are but local multiversal region, I would say it would be akin to the else where's of the dc multiverse. But instead of based on the same world, the else where's are are different what ifs while these are entirely new worlds.

Harry has said the never never potentially allows access to alien worlds, so those different worlds could potentially be in the same universe. Nothing we have seen has definitely made it know that these are differing worlds, just that these humans are no longer on earth, and their magics have gone another path.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »
It is not the cops are but local multiversal region, I would say it would be akin to the else where's of the dc multiverse. But instead of based on the same world, the else where's are are different what ifs while these are entirely new worlds.
These are words, and they are clearly English, but I cant for the life of me figure out the idea you were trying to convey with it  :-[

Harry has said the never never potentially allows access to alien worlds, so those different worlds could potentially be in the same universe. Nothing we have seen has definitely made it know that these are differing worlds, just that these humans are no longer on earth, and their magics have gone another path.
Not alien worlds, just far reaches of NN.  Per WOJ you cant get much further than the Moon via the NN, and it HARD to get that far. Here's that WOJ, there's also another that Im having difficulty locating where he went into more detail about how Harry's particular universe is very Earth-centric, so that's kind of it's reality bubble (my interpretations) but that other universes that are less Human-centric might have more stuff/races/worlds out in the galaxy. 
My question “Could you use the NeverNever to travel to other planets like Mars for example?”
You can’t get much farther out than the moon, in terms of moving through normal space–and it’s /hard/ to get that far.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 06:21:09 AM »
That would suggest that these other worlds are beyond the outer gates, as I doubt humans can survive long term in the never never.
 We know the attacks on the gates vary, could the humans that established those world got there during down times.

I thinks cops is Cosmere auto corrected somehow.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »
That would suggest that these other worlds are beyond the outer gates, as I doubt humans can survive long term in the never never.
 We know the attacks on the gates vary, could the humans that established those world got there during down times.

I thinks cops is Cosmere auto corrected somehow.
I dont think they are Beyond the Outer Gates, just infinite branching layers of Inside; parallel worlds but still within that boundary (or in possession of it's own equivalent boundary, depending on the true nature of the Gates)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 09:51:12 PM »
I wonder if these new gates are sall gates equivalents.
k moinuddin

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 08:28:27 PM »
Unless that WoJ about Harry and Tavi sharing a bloodline exists, which i don't know.

The WOJ in question was that a fan asked if there was a shared bloodline, and Jim gave a really sarcastic denial along the lines of "I'd neeevveerr do something like thaaat".

So it's not admitted to, but he was definitely winking at the possibility.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016, 08:43:20 PM »
Dresden being related is a stretch, since the whole legion was swallowed.  He'd have to have been related to a family member that wasn't swallowed by the portal 2000 years in advance.  Just stretches the imagination.

Not necessarily that much of a stretch. The 9'th legion disappeared from Britain roughly contemporaneous with some of the feats attributed to the original Merlin; he could easily have lost a parent, child or sibling among its numbers. And many fans suspect the chain of mentor-pupil relationships linking Merlin to Ebenezar McCoy consists of wizards training their own offspring.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 09:59:51 PM »
this thread reminded me of a series by Harry Turtledove... the Videssos Cycle, is anyone on here familiar with it?  it's based on the 'mis-placed legion'
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:34:10 PM by RobReece »

Offline nedserD C B yrraH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 12:06:31 AM »
I'm not but it sounds like some of the inspiration for the bet that led to CA.
I'm not a Fanboy, I just Squee a lot.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 53.1%

All scores:
Supernatural Power:75.7%
Social Skills:45.5%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:41.8

Offline saejin1983

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 05:33:59 AM »
I know it's an old thread but, just now getting to read the book.  I'm not done with it yet.  It seems to me like this book isn't its own parallel universe.  It seems to me that this is post apocalyptic Alera.  It was alluded to in the final Alera book that it would take the queen in the Canine territory about a century or so to reproduce enough for an invasion.  In that time Tavi or a descendant would have made plans for the future.  Most likely building up towards the skies made the most sense and maybe, the spiders couldn't live at such altitudes until recently. Perhaps the queen evolved or her offspring evolved to tolerate the altitude and light. Their technology and  the way of harvesting powers would change too, if the spiders ended up taking over their world.  Yes I know there is still soil but that's not to mean there isn't also croach.  I'm hoping they'll do an expedition to the ground.  Find ruins of Ancient Alera...The Builders.  As I recall Tavi had a mind for architecture and other means to build something that will last without powers or magic.  I'm also wondering if Ferus is actually Fidelias somehow. I'm guessing that the queen (I'm referring to Cavendish) is the one from the Canine country as she seemed the next, most human.  Or more, she longed to feel a bit human because she displayed jealousy at her mother's "flaws".  Plus she's stickler for manners which the original queen was as well. To feel more human.  It seems to me that the cats and her servant were just taken and replaced as before. Just saying, it seems like a possible theory.  Thanks for letting me ramble.