Author Topic: Folly Refers to ...? (Spoilers)  (Read 14500 times)

Offline Underwood

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Folly Refers to ...? (Spoilers)
« on: November 26, 2015, 10:36:09 AM »
I haven't finished the book yet, but when Folly saves them in the tunnels, she refers to the presence as The Enemy. What are the chances that this is the same Enemy from the Dresden Files, or at least related to it? Thoughts?

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
Re: Folly Refers to ...? (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »
From a storytelling perspective, sure. Both are ominous, powerful and ancient (that's a guess for TAW), and serve the same purpose.

From an in universe perspective... i don't think so. There is absolutely no evidence that Butcher's story worlds are interconnected in any way.
As far as we know Alera was it's own universe, as is Dresden Files, as, i suspect, is The Cinder Spires.

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »
Actually, there is a WoJ about the universes being connect in someways.. About Tavi and Dresden sharing the same bloodline.. If I'm not miss remembering and confusing it with a discussion instead of WoJ...

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 12:08:22 PM »
Actually, there is a WoJ about the universes being connect in someways.. About Tavi and Dresden sharing the same bloodline.. If I'm not miss remembering and confusing it with a discussion instead of WoJ...
I know there is something about the dresden files and codex alera world connected somehow. But I don't know anyhint about the same bloodline.
I know that codex alera and the dresden files is happening around the same time at least.
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
Well, Jim has mentioned Dresden Files is a multiverse.. So, since we have infinite possibilities, it is connected with everything and in one of those universes they share the same bloodline..

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 04:04:55 PM »
I personally think that Grimm is the member of that unique bloodline.
k moinuddin

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
Alera and Dresden are connected in that the original settlers from Alera are from earth. They are the lost roman legion
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 08:29:22 PM »
I just don't see how this world are based on a misplaced human population, it seems to purposeful for that. I think this world has a purpose or mission, but no idea what it would be.
k moinuddin

Offline Nimblegrund

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »
Personally, I rather hope not... I know fan theories linking wildly different stories by the same maker are all in vogue (pixar universe theory...) but I would prefer if things were simply recurring motifs rather than literal recurring elements in a patchwork nonsense universe. It seems restricting and confusing to think of it this way.  But that's just my take.

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 12:49:04 PM »
Well, shared universes can be used or not at all in the stories. Rarely are the authors who actually crossover character from one series to another, usually are small details you notice, or the really big players/god's that make apparance in both series.

So even if Jim makes it a shared universe for his series, I don't think we are in any danger of seeing Tavi in Dresden's Chicago or see Dresden taking on a mistshark..

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 06:25:24 PM »
I could see harry developing magic or techniques that mimic fury crafting or etherialists.
k moinuddin

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 06:46:25 AM »
I could see harry developing magic or techniques that mimic fury crafting or etherialists.
I couldn't. Fury crafting reminds me a lot of channeling spells, and harry exclusively does one offs
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 09:52:55 PM »
Possibly not the active spells, but the fury stone stuff, could be used in his enchantments.
k moinuddin

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 04:44:46 PM »
I know that codex alera and the dresden files is happening around the same time at least.

Alera and Dresden are connected in that the original settlers from Alera are from earth. They are the lost roman legion

I know the WoJ about Dresden and Alera happening at the same time. That comparison was to illustrate Alera's historical development. It did not suggest conneted universes, at least not to me.
Both the Alera and Dresden Storyworlds are fictional versions of our own, yes. But are they the same fictional version? There is nothing to suggest that.

Unless that WoJ about Harry and Tavi sharing a bloodline exists, which i don't know.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 10:46:25 PM »
There was a subtle reference to the furies of alera so it makes me think that time might be running differently there or it is further into the future.
k moinuddin