Author Topic: Who is the main character? (possible spoilers)  (Read 4292 times)

Offline trixsterjl

• Participant
    • View Profile
Who is the main character? (possible spoilers)
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »
I finished this book a few weeks back and have had some time to digest it. I have read pro and con reviews of the book on good reads and other sites. The main issue most negative reviews seem to have is a flat nature to the characters. I personally marked this book 4 stars on Amazon and stated that I was thankful that J.Butcher skipped doing a full book of character backstories and development.
So, who do you think the main protagonist is? The "enemy" is purposefully unclear, but I find that I am unsure who the main character is. I can't really think of a successful book or series of books that does not boil down to 1 good (entity) vs 1 bad (entity).
*example* The Bible : God/Devil(human nature). The lord of the rings Bilbo, Soramon(sp). The Wheel of time: Richard vs many diff evil main chars.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:05:04 PM by trixsterjl »

Offline Bronze_Smith

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Metalmorphosis
Re: Who is the main character? (possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:43:14 PM »
I finished this book a few weeks back and have had some time to digest it. I have read pro and con reviews of the book on good reads and other sites. The main issue most negative reviews seem to have is a flat nature to the characters. I personally marked this book 4 stars on Amazon and stated that I was thankful that J.Butcher skipped doing a full book of character backstories and development.
So, who do you think the main protagonist is? The "enemy" is purposefully unclear, but I find that I am unsure who the main character is. I can't really think of a successful book or series of books that does not boil down to 1 good (entity) vs 1 bad (entity).
*example* The Bible : God/Devil(human nature). The lord of the rings Bilbo, Soramon(sp). The Wheel of time: Richard vs many diff evil main chars.

A good summary of "In Jim we trust."

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
I don't think this question really applies to Cinder Spires, at least not yet.  Having a single central character isn't a requirement for a successful series.  Just look at Martin's SoIaF.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 06:59:18 AM »
I don't think the characters are flat! I actually love practically all the characters. And I can't tell if there is a main one either but I think that is a good thing, making the story more interesting.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:10:12 AM »
Tavi is said to be distantly related to harry dresden. This is due to them having some kind of common ancestor or lineage. So it is likely the main character here would have a similar family link. The thing is both Tavi and harry wield great power, so it would make sense if if the main character had their own. But the thing is, there is only a limited number of people with such an ability but they are kind of broken.
 I wonder, Grimm has such a bond/link to his ship, could that develop into power like folly has. Just like Tavi started with just his wits, this guy could be the same. He has an advantage, his ship could fill the holes that the power created.
k moinuddin