Author Topic: Hard time with new player's concept -- need some advice  (Read 6963 times)

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Hard time with new player's concept -- need some advice
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 02:19:38 AM »
The main thing that popped into my head when seeing this, was just incite effect (luck), and a relevant aspect for you to compel when you want the "bad luck" to interfere.

Errr not bad luck, but failing on her part.
"The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, the sky responded with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again."

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »
How about allowing her the ability to give out Sponsor Debt, but have the compels always fall on her head? There'd need to be a limit, perhaps it only works once or twice a scene, but it'd model what she's after fairly well.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 02:17:03 PM »
The main thing that popped into my head when seeing this, was just incite effect (luck), and a relevant aspect for you to compel when you want the "bad luck" to interfere.

Errr not bad luck, but failing on her part.
I looked at Sponsored Debt... it seems to interleave fairly well with her concept of having inherited some variant of the Midas Curse, I'm just not sure how to fit the source/sponsor in -- for the long-term play and reveal.  I'm sure I can find a fit later on, but I really feel more comfortable having something like that in place from the beginning so that any cluebats I drop are solid and appropriate; not overly generic. /shrug.  This idea is still on the table, to be sure.

I came here looking for an idea or two and now I'm swimming in possibilities.

You guys are awesome.  tyvm
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 02:52:51 PM »
I looked at Sponsored Debt... it seems to interleave fairly well with her concept of having inherited some variant of the Midas Curse, I'm just not sure how to fit the source/sponsor in -- for the long-term play and reveal.  I'm sure I can find a fit later on, but I really feel more comfortable having something like that in place from the beginning so that any cluebats I drop are solid and appropriate; not overly generic. /shrug.  This idea is still on the table, to be sure.

Like I said, as a bloodline curse, this should work fairly well. Hell, you could have her ancestors show up as ghosts, and they will only rest if the curse is lifted. Maybe their variant on the curse can manifest in some ways as well, which could make for some really messed up situations to be sure. :D

It could even be that original Midas was cursed by a Sidhe who is still around. I'm not too familiar with the Midas story, maybe there's something in there?

Maybe the curse is similar to the Loup Garoux curse. Only one person can have it at any given time. Now maybe a relative of her knows about the curse and thinks it's a gift and her birthright and tries to get access to it.
Maybe another relative knows about the curse, he had it and lost it because he technically died a few years ago, before your player got the curse, and is now determined to end the curse for good, by ending the bloodline.
Maybe someone wants to trigger the original Midas curse for gold to make an easy profit.

Maybe it is possible to trigger past versions of the curse occasionally. Maybe by channeling one of the ancestor ghosts. Or maybe they can force that on her occasionally.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »

If you want a specific intellegent being, any god that deals with Fate or Chance or Destiny could work.  Norns and Morai and such fit too, as could angels or djinn or even a leprochaun king. 

Conversly you could go with a more abstract, less anthropomorphic Sponsor like "Karma" or "Kismet" or any variation on "Cosmic Balance" but then you might have to work a little harder to tie in a fitting Agenda for something only semi-sentient; you'd need to compell the PC toward getting involved with larger Balances as well as the situation/scene level ones. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »
I have this vision of ALL the bouncers and doormen in Las Vegas being on the lookout for her.

OR...she could be the solution for Las Vegas's problem(s). 

Finally, I can see various entities trying to kidnap her for her powers, depending on how they work out.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »
I have this vision of ALL the bouncers and doormen in Las Vegas being on the lookout for her.

OR...she could be the solution for Las Vegas's problem(s). 

Finally, I can see various entities trying to kidnap her for her powers, depending on how they work out.

Agreed.  I think
(click to show/hide)
from the Paranet Papers would be very interested in such a character if she were to come close to
(click to show/hide)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »
New power:

[-2 Refresh] Lucky: Once per scene, this ability lets the character with the power reroll the dice on any action they take to affect a target within the same zone.

[-1 Extra Refresh] Fortune Favors My Friends: The ability lets the lucky character choose an ally within the same zone to use their reroll instead of them.  Prerequisite: Lucky.

[-1 Extra Refresh] : Fortune Doesn't Favor My Enemies: The ability lets the character use their reroll to force an opponent of the character's choice within the same zone to reroll the dice.  Prerequisite: Lucky.

[-1 Extra Refresh per extra zone] In the Zone: the character can affect rerolls two or three zones away. Prerequisite: Lucky.

[-1 Extra refresh per extra reroll] Lucky Streak: the character can get an additional reroll in the scene for every point they spend.  Prerequisite: Lucky.

[+1 Refresh] Restoring the balance: every time the character uses this ability, the GM gets a Fate point for enemy NPCs to use. Prerequisite: Lucky.

Minimum cost on this ability will be one.

If the character wants to only use the ability on others, that should be an Aspect, or it can be a power limitation that reduces the refresh cost by one.

These powers exist already.  I have a character who's used them.  They require you to create aspects to tag or to have FP's.  They are pretty awesome.  Combine 'Controlled Fate', 'aura of control' and 'Probability Manipulation', 'stacking the deck'

Although, Probability Manipulation is probably the most important power.  It even lets you take sponsored debt.

I managed to survive some pretty epic fights with no other powers just by creating aspects and having lots of FP's to toss around.  It makes a great support character.

(click to show/hide)

Honestly, though, I bet you could do this with 2 stunts:

One to replace contacts with resources and one that lets you spend a FP to have +4 to a resource roll.

Now  you're rolling contacts at +4.  Attach it to an aspect that states that the character doesn't actually get any of the money (since it's always through someone else) and also let it be worded so that you can compel the character to lose out on stuff because of the 'curse'.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:30:38 PM by Taran »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 08:29:34 PM »
double-post:  I'll link that character because it might give you some ideas. 

FYI, his High concept is:  Luckiest Man in the World
His Trouble aspect is : Unluckiest Man in the World

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,41023.msg2027360.html#msg2027360

It's a high refresh game, but it certainly might spark some ideas.

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 01:25:47 PM »
I've been trying to bone up on Sponsored Magic and have run into a road block.  Didn't the Paranet expansion have something in it involving Self-Sponsored magic?  Where did I see that? I can't find it.  Anyone know?

ty

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
There are quite a few self sponsored magics on the custom powers list. I don't think they are an official thing.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »
For sponsored debt that's attached to powers like the one I posted above, there's no stress track (apparently that was added in the paranet papers.  It's simply compels paid in advance.  This is fairly easy to keep track of.  I suppose you could have a stress track, but that seems complicated.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 04:02:02 PM »
There are quite a few self sponsored magics on the custom powers list. I don't think they are an official thing.

Here are a bunch of Spoonsor magics, all Fan Made I think, but there are a bunch that are self-sponsored and/or lack traditional sponsors.  (One is sponsored by "Science!" )

https://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/Sponsored+Magics
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 04:11:18 PM »
For sponsored debt that's attached to powers like the one I posted above, there's no stress track (apparently that was added in the paranet papers.  It's simply compels paid in advance.  This is fairly easy to keep track of.  I suppose you could have a stress track, but that seems complicated.

The only sponsored magic that got a stress track in PP was Soulfire, which given it's source and how it's been modeled in book, makes the most sense.

Also: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,31204.0.html
"The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, the sky responded with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again."

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 06:17:08 PM »
Ok, I've had a chance to talk to this gal and she wants the "Luck" power to be passive.  It's not something she does, it's something that happens.  It's a family (bloodline) curse of a sorts.  They don't get direct benefit, per se.

For now,  I'm going to try using the "Karma Track" Haru suggested previously and see if that works. It will probably end up working as a set of invokes/compels that shift the marker on the track indicating bonuses to the recipient and negative to her character.  This is going to have to bear observation.