Author Topic: Dimensions - stupid math  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Mercilessmagic

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Dimensions - stupid math
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:52:49 AM »
So, I was doing some stupid math.  I have come up with the following. Albion Spire is 2 miles tall. It is also 2 miles in diameter. It is strongly implied that it does not taper at all. The roof is flat. There are 250 habbles. From that, I calculate that given a reasonable thickness for each floor, there is only 40 feet of headspace for each habble, my question is, does that sound remotely spire shaped to you? Somebody please show me where I went wrong.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Dimensions - stupid math
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 04:05:42 AM »
I think it's bigger than 2x2, but you're correct in that it's square. 

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:58:51 AM »
I think it's bigger than 2x2, but you're correct in that it's square.
I like to think of it as a giant stone marshmallow.  ;D

Overall though, the 10,000 ft high stat doesn't feel accurate.  I'd imagine the 50ft average distance to the roof is a much more accurate measurement by virtue of being able to physically measure it, and with the number of habbles the height of the spire has to be significantly higher.  Overall I'd put the number closer to 15,000 ft than 10,000.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 05:03:11 AM »
I like to think of it as a giant stone marshmallow.  ;D

Overall though, the 10,000 ft high stat doesn't feel accurate.  I'd imagine the 50ft average distance to the roof is a much more accurate measurement by virtue of being able to physically measure it, and with the number of habbles the height of the spire has to be significantly higher.  Overall I'd put the number closer to 15,000 ft than 10,000.
There was a WoJ that gave the exact measurements of the "spire", but I don't remember what they were.  It was a cube, though.  Maybe 5x5?

Offline ITheHellAmFan

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
Actually, I forget the page, but I'm pretty sure the book said the spire itself is round, the Habbles are square shapes within those round walls.  Hence, I am inclined to agree with the giant stone marshmallow.
"I will not treat your dusty path and flat,
Denoting this and that by this and that,
Your world immutable wherein no part
the little maker has with maker's art."
-Mythopoeia, J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »
There was a WoJ that gave the exact measurements of the "spire", but I don't remember what they were.  It was a cube, though.  Maybe 5x5?
The book itself is very clear that each floor/Habble is circular on the outer edge, with a square "town" inset on it, and teh remaining spaces house the support systems.  The WOJ describes them as essentially on the scale of a "Borg Cube," and in that he's pretty specific that it is a Cube rather than a Cylinder as described in the text and shown on the official Maps.  So I Dont Know....

Either way there is no taper, which I would have said was a key characteristic of a Spire. 

As to the 40ft per level, That's not unreasonable in terms of crazy high vaulted ceilings, or for two floors worth of a taller building.  That being said, I got the impression that the different Habbles have different purposes and facilities (akin to urban Zoning).  It's entirely possible that the Habbles arent a uniform height; the two primary shipping port Habbles could reasonably need more space allotted than a more industrial one. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 02:22:45 AM »
As to the 40ft per level, That's not unreasonable in terms of crazy high vaulted ceilings, or for two floors worth of a taller building.  That being said, I got the impression that the different Habbles have different purposes and facilities (akin to urban Zoning).  It's entirely possible that the Habbles arent a uniform height; the two primary shipping port Habbles could reasonably need more space allotted than a more industrial one.
We know for sure that not all floors are a uniform height.  Habble Morning at the top has an incredibly tall ceiling around 200ft (maybe 250, I forget the exact dimensions).  Either way much higher than the stated average of 50ft.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »
We know for sure that not all floors are a uniform height.  Habble Morning at the top has an incredibly tall ceiling around 200ft (maybe 250, I forget the exact dimensions).  Either way much higher than the stated average of 50ft.
And I could easily imagine the hellish lower level prison-mines being 10-15 feet max and have ceilings that make everyone stoop.  Maybe it's a sliding scale, with higher levels also having higher ceilings in some uniform progression?  The weirder corners of my brain is coming up with all kinds of weird and sinister reasons for that.  What if the spires have a specific etheric function, and humanity is more akin to an automated maintenance system than its actual primary purpose?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:44:45 PM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain