Author Topic: Scion of Beowulf - any recommendations?  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Trum4n1208

• Participant
    • View Profile
Scion of Beowulf - any recommendations?
« on: October 23, 2015, 04:37:09 AM »
Hey all,

Joining a group on Roll20 where we'll be using the Vegas setting from Paranet Papers. I decided to play as a descendent of Beowulf who now works as a mercenary/supernatural muscle who was forced to go to Vegas as a vacation (he works too hard) and ends up embroiled in whatever is going on. I need some help coming up with the rest of my aspects, and a little bit of work with my Item of Power. We're doing six refresh, 20 skill points, skill cap of great. Any recommendations/suggestions would be much appreciated.

The character as he currently is:

Johan Hegg
High Concept:  Descended From the Great Geat
Other Aspects:
Trouble: Chronic Hero Syndrome
My Blade is a part of me
Standing Against the Onslaught
Skills:
Great: Weapons
Good: Might, Endurance
Fair: Athletics, Lore, Conviction
Average: Presence, Rapport, Guns, Alertness
Refresh: 6
Powers:
Item of Power: Naegling [+2]
- Inhuman Speed [-2]
-
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
- The Catch: Fire (Fire weakened Beowulf in the story, but not everyone would know Johan is his descendent, hence the +1) [+1]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:49:10 AM by Trum4n1208 »
Current Character: Alex Sharps, Sorcerer for Hire in the Big Easy

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Scion of Beowulf - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 04:47:39 AM »
Really quick, inhuman recovery is still a -2 power, you just add the catch value when calculating refresh.
"The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, the sky responded with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again."

Offline Trum4n1208

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 04:49:36 AM »
Really quick, inhuman recovery is still a -2 power, you just add the catch value when calculating refresh.

Totally right, my bad. Not sure how that happened.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 03:24:07 PM »
Aspects:
1) All work, no  play/Workaholic
2) I must kill the monsters before they kill me

Need to know more--family?  Siblings? Relatives?
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Trum4n1208

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »
Right now, not really. His closest friend is his business partner and co-mentor (with Hegg's Father), a badass/ancient Werebear named Sauli, who has known members of his family for a long time. Tends to get a long with other "fighting types," people who appreciate a good fight. His father is still alive but is not present. He's an only child.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
Here are a few suggestions for the build that you might enjoy:

Johan Hegg
High Concept:  Modern day viking and Descendant of Beowulf

Trouble: Monsters' ancient grudges against my bloodline

Background: Heroics run in my blood
Rising Conflict: Naegling is a part of me

Other Aspects:
I Stand gloriously against the Onslaught
All work and no play makes Johan a dull boy
Wreaking havok yet again with Sauli, my stalwart werebear comrade in arms.

Skills:
Great (+4): Fists (HtH Melee Weapons); +5 w/ Naegling
Good (+3): Endurance, Might (Grappling +4, Lifting +6)
Fair: Athletics (+3 when using Naegling), Discipline, Lore
Average: Alertness (+5 Initiative when using Naegling), Conviction, Guns, Presence

Stunts:
Extensive Training (can substitute Fists for Weapons skill when using HtH melee weapons)

Powers:
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch: Fire [+3]

Item of Power: Naegling [+2]
-It is a Sword: Wpn 3
-True Aim +1 to the wielder's Weapons skill [-1]
-It is Swift: grants its user Inhhuman Speed [-2]

Stress:
Physical OOOO[OO] armor 1, Mental OOO, Social OOO

Base Refresh: 6
Refresh Cost: -5

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
I'm looking at the mythology surrounding Nęgling and I'm noticing quite a few interesting tidbits. Firstly, it's an ancient, venerable sword and an old heirloom. Secondly, it breaks in the fight against the dragon, ostensibly because Beowulf was too strong and broke it.

I'd propose that it was, in the Dresdenverse, one of the Swords of the Cross and that when it broke it was not because Beowulf was too strong, but because he used it in a way that violated its purpose, making it vulnerable.

Could be an interesting take for you to go with, whether it being one of the three canon swords or a fourth one that has been kept hidden for a long time.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Trum4n1208

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 06:44:33 PM »
Shaft, great suggestions! Like the aspects, I like the stat up, though unfortunately I don't think my DM will let me use the stunt. I'll check though. Mind if I ask why Catch Fire is a +3?

PirateJack, I like the idea of that, Beowulf wielding a Sword of the Cross, butsame deal, I don't think I'd get away with that. I was going to play off Naegling breaking as a literary embellishment. The way I figure, Beowulf used that Sword for 50 years after he leaves Hrothgar, surely it wouldn't have broken out of nowhere. Also, it's readily apparent that whoever wrote the poem down changed a lot of it. The Christian elements are certainly added later (clumsily done, in my opinion) so that lends a bit of strength to the "they embellished the story later" argument.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:58:52 PM »
Shaft, great suggestions! Like the aspects, I like the stat up, though unfortunately I don't think my DM will let me use the stunt. I'll check though. Mind if I ask why Catch Fire is a +3?

That's a pretty reasonable stunt...moving skill trappings around is pretty par for the course. Would he let you take it in reverse (can fight HTH based on Weapons training)? Otherwise, pick "Sword" and another weapon and take that Fists stunt that lets you use a couple Weapons with it.

The Catch of Fire is +3 because, as you said, there's a +1 rebate for needing to research it, and most people consider Fire to be +2 availability since it's easy to make. Don't have a weaponized fire? Yes you do; borrow a lighter and some hairspray for instant flamethrower.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:00:41 PM by dragoonbuster »
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 07:03:33 PM »
Double post

...a fourth one that has been kept hidden for a long time.

Can't have a 4th Sword of the Cross when there are only three Nails to go around...the Nail is the defining characteristic of a SotC.

My bet is Naegling would be an early version of Esperacchius, if it were any of the Swords. Before Beowulf slays Grendel, IIRC, it's pretty hopeless over there.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Trum4n1208

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »
That's a pretty reasonable stunt...moving skill trappings around is pretty par for the course. Would he let you take it in reverse (can fight HTH based on Weapons training)? Otherwise, pick "Sword" and another weapon and take that Fists stunt that lets you use a couple Weapons with it.

The Catch of Fire is +3 because, as you said, there's a +1 rebate for needing to research it, and most people consider Fire to be +2 availability since it's easy to make. Don't have a weaponized fire? Yes you do; borrow a lighter and some hairspray for instant flamethrower.

Yeah, the group is setup to where people can either run an ongoing game, or do one shots. The group creator flipped out over the stunt (an earlier version of the character had a similar stunt) and said "that's way too powerful."

Granted, I'm not sure how the Vegas GM would treat it, he seems much more reasonable.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 07:50:31 PM »
Shaft, great suggestions! Like the aspects, I like the stat up

Thank you!

though unfortunately I don't think my DM will let me use the stunt.

I got it from Karrin Murphy's writeup in the Paranet Papers.  You can use Armed Arts (with Swords and Knives) as an alternative if you're looking for Stunts that are written up in Your Story.

I'll check though. Mind if I ask why Catch Fire is a +3?

It's very common and accessible to almost anyone who can buy matches and vodka in a corner store.  I'd say it's easy to research if you lump in "try setting him on fire and see if it hurts" as part of a scientific analysis.  Any spellcaster with the fire domain or Fae of the Summer Court can blast away at him without going out of their way.  So can any male model who can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
Can't have a 4th Sword of the Cross when there are only three Nails to go around...the Nail is the defining characteristic of a SotC.

There's nothing that says you can't have a fourth nail (some depictions of Jesus on the cross show him with nails in both arms and both legs).  In my game, we have considered the possibility that a fourth lost sword (Honorachius) is out there.  Or corrupted. 

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 08:18:57 PM »
There's nothing that says you can't have a fourth nail (some depictions of Jesus on the cross show him with nails in both arms and both legs).  In my game, we have considered the possibility that a fourth lost sword (Honorachius) is out there.  Or corrupted.

Fair enough. Personally I like and prefer the Faith, Hope, and Love trichotomy and I think a fourth sword would cheapen that a bit, but that's my game.