Author Topic: Sails?  (Read 25971 times)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sails?
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2015, 03:11:17 PM »
It said in Ch.2 two that the Mistmaws are attracted to powered webbing.  The Webbing was being used during the dive, and he said he expected that Journeyman cut the line asap /after/ tehy pulled out of the dive.  This implies to me that it is technically possible to use the Webbing for motive force down in the Mists,

I just assumed that "dropping out of the aerosphere" meant going even lower than the mistmaws.   Considering that the mistmaws like to eat ether-related products, it seems not unlikely that they'd be living within the aerosphere.

Both, I think, maybe (depending on the definition of Aerosphere).  Gwen says of the first gen core: "IF the crystal was as old as journeyman claimed, it would be able to produce more electricity from less etheric energy than almost any crystal gwen had heard of-- which would mean that the ship could sail to more places, farther and farther from the main etheric currents, and do it more swiftly.  Im not clear on how the ether varies with altitude, but it seems to flow around the planet in large, jet-stream style currents by the sound of it, something relatively stable and/or mapable

Good quote.  All this makes me wonder about other crystals uses.  Do we say that gloves (or the etheric cannons) don't work as well outside of the aerosphere? 

Similarly, if we assume that "steam power" involves heating water to boiling temperatures by crystaltech, then does this imply that steam powered ships wouldn't work as well out of the aerosphere?
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »
I just assumed that "dropping out of the aerosphere" meant going even lower than the mistmaws.   Considering that the mistmaws like to eat ether-related products, it seems not unlikely that they'd be living within the aerosphere.

Good quote.  All this makes me wonder about other crystals uses.  Do we say that gloves (or the etheric cannons) don't work as well outside of the aerosphere? 

Similarly, if we assume that "steam power" involves heating water to boiling temperatures by crystaltech, then does this imply that steam powered ships wouldn't work as well out of the aerosphere?
Well, gauntlets are fueld by the currents directly, but need far less since they work in places where the ether is not strong enough to require goggle protection.  The Cannons work on electricity, so they can operate anywhere the Core crystal has sufficient ether to generate said electricity, which is partially determined by the age/design of the core.  As far as the fuel for steam power, Id assumed at first that it would need to be a separate fuel source from teh Core Crystals, on the logic that the the Itasca running steam engines along side their webs for extra speed wouldnt make sense if the steam engines stole power from a common source.  But I supposed if it has a dedicated power crystal that generates heat directly rather than electricity it would make sense. 

It's worth noting that it's possible to become "becalmed" in an area of low ether were webs dont work.  In those instances they switch to steam or wind, so the implication is that they can stay afloat on far less ether than they require to use the Webs. 

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
Well, gauntlets are fueled by the currents directly, but need far less since they work in places where the ether is not strong enough to require goggle protection.

This seems a little OP to me.   ;)  Depending on how versatile/accurate a glove crystal is,  I would think you could come up with a whole list of power tools/applications that would be pretty useful for everyday life.  Power tools, etc.

The Cannons work on electricity, so they can operate anywhere the Core crystal has sufficient ether to generate said electricity, which is partially determined by the age/design of the core. 

Do they?  I knew they projected some form of energy beam, but I wasn't aware the energy came from electricity somewhere along the way.

As far as the fuel for steam power, Id assumed at first that it would need to be a separate fuel source from teh Core Crystals, on the logic that the the Itasca running steam engines along side their webs for extra speed wouldnt make sense if the steam engines stole power from a common source. 

The problem here is that you'd think coal/wood would be extremely expensive to use.  Since we know that (at least some types) of crystals heat up after long use, using the waste heat to create steam might just be a way of making things more efficient.  Also, remember that Itsaca was using steam to help turn/move after their webs were raked.  At this point it makes sense to divert power from the web to the propellers.

But I supposed if it has a dedicated power crystal that generates heat directly rather than electricity it would make sense. 

If we assume that the gloves work everywhere, then this might imply that you can use them even where the ether is not thick.  Heck, if all your sailors/marines have gloves, might as well put those crystals to use (for heating water) if you're not preparing to repel boarders.

It's worth noting that it's possible to become "becalmed" in an area of low ether were webs dont work.  In those instances they switch to steam or wind, so the implication is that they can stay afloat on far less ether than they require to use the Webs.

That's why I thought maybe lift crystals aren't dependent on ether at all.  It's only the fact that the core crystals produce less power away from the ether that creates the lift limitations.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2015, 05:50:38 PM »

This seems a little OP to me.   ;)  Depending on how versatile/accurate a glove crystal is,  I would think you could come up with a whole list of power tools/applications that would be pretty useful for everyday life.  Power tools, etc.
There are some scalability issues (gauntlets vs long-guns) and clearly overheating is a constant issue, but Im not ready to discount power tools, both etheric and electric
Do they?  I knew they projected some form of energy beam, but I wasn't aware the energy came from electricity somewhere along the way.
Yup, Folly said specifically that "the most complex crystals of all, power-core crystals, expressed their energy in another form--Electricity. [...] the power-core crystal was grown with complex pathways needed to route etheric energy into a rising surplus, converting it into bottled lightning."  Combine that with the fact that several mention that the Core is waht powers the Lift/Trim crystals, the shroud and the cannons, with the power distribution being a priamry tactical concern.   

Previously Folly had  said that lumen crystals convert ether into "a trickle of light" and weapon crystals did the same only with heat and force.  Gwen listed Weapon crystals and Cannon crystals separately at one point, so I think that they are distinct in design.

I think crystals are an etheric analog of semiconductors, in the sense that they are all more or less made of the same substances, the only differences being in the size and the patterns they are grown to. 
The problem here is that you'd think coal/wood would be extremely expensive to use.  Since we know that (at least some types) of crystals heat up after long use, using the waste heat to create steam might just be a way of making things more efficient.  Also, remember that Itsaca was using steam to help turn/move after their webs were raked.  At this point it makes sense to divert power from the web to the propellers.
Fair points all.
If we assume that the gloves work everywhere, then this might imply that you can use them even where the ether is not thick.  Heck, if all your sailors/marines have gloves, might as well put those crystals to use (for heating water) if you're not preparing to repel boarders.
Agreed.
That's why I thought maybe lift crystals aren't dependent on ether at all.  It's only the fact that the core crystals produce less power away from the ether that creates the lift limitations.
Agreed, they arent, at least not directly; they are powered with electricity from the Core Crystal, which in turn needs some amount of ether dictated by its quality.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2015, 06:26:30 PM »
So then there are two main classes of crystals:

1) Ether --> Energy (Power/Weapons/Light)
2) Electricity --> Other (Lift/Weapon/Shroud/Trim).

We know that Lift/Trim crystals decay over time and Power crystals get better.   I wonder if this difference is true for the others in the same category (though the idea of "spent" light crystals kinda negates this).
DV Geek code:

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2015, 06:38:44 PM »
This video comes to mind every time I see this thread in my inbox
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2015, 07:02:01 PM »
So then there are two main classes of crystals:

1) Ether --> Energy (Power/Weapons/Light)
2) Electricity --> Other (Lift/Weapon Cannon/Shroud/Trim).

We know that Lift/Trim crystals decay over time and Power crystals get better.   I wonder if this difference is true for the others in the same category (though the idea of "spent" light crystals kinda negates this).
So far yes, though I wouldnt put it past the setting to have crystals convert other energies, perhaps heat to electricity, or Ether to Lasers?

Also, I havent been able to find any mention of a Shroud crystal, I was under the impression it was a direct property of the Core crystal for some reason (perhaps the way
(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2015, 01:17:25 PM »
So far yes, though I wouldnt put it past the setting to have crystals convert other energies, perhaps heat to electricity, or Ether to Lasers?

Also, I havent been able to find any mention of a Shroud crystal, I was under the impression it was a direct property of the Core crystal for some reason (perhaps the way
(click to show/hide)

I should the shroud was something you couldn't keep up 24/7 as it was too taxing. 
DV Geek code:

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2015, 01:43:22 PM »
I should the shroud was something you couldn't keep up 24/7 as it was too taxing.
Hmm, that's true.  And that implies a way to control it, which at this level of tech would either need it to be a separate crystal system they can regulate the power feed to, or else I suppose it could be emitted from the core but suppressed/dampened so that it doesnt use up the full level of energy. 

If it is indeed a separate type of crystal, Im really curious to hear how it functions.  I mean, Force Fields...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/