Author Topic: Codex Alera?  (Read 4758 times)

Offline vadaniels1

• Lurker
  • Stupid latin correspondence course.
    • View Profile
Codex Alera?
« on: October 21, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »
Ok I've been listening to Aeronaut's Windlass and I couldn't help but notice something that Master Ferris said.  "And it seems he's born of a fury, which is quite funny if you know your history."  Also the Silk Weavers remind me a bit of the Vord.  So my question is, is it possible that the Cinder Spires shares a universe with Codex Alera?  Or am I reading way way to much into this.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:07:15 PM by vadaniels1 »
Hey! I'm not a lurker I'm more of a stalker.  See you tonight.  ;)

Offline PlatinaD

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Alera?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:19:06 PM »
Just prior to that it was mentioned that the captain was from Spire Olympia. Which would reference that the Furies were a part of Greek Mythology.

Offline Vinnypop

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 09:56:35 PM »
I had the exact same thoughts. The warrior born sound very Murat to me as well. there is a duel between to "citizens", And there is scary crap in the mists and winds. That said There is some external evidence. Jim has said that if he ever returned to the world of Alera it would be much later on and probably have a steampunk setting.

But we could just be reading too greedily and too deep.

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 01:35:36 AM »
Everything I have heard, this is likely not a Codex Alera setting.  Or if it is, it is so far removed from that timefrae as to be something altogether different.  It would seem odd to me that Furies now only manifest in manufactured crystals, when they used to just manifest by nature?  It may be revealed later on that this is in fact Alera, but I would be skeptical until Jim has outright stated either in-universe, or by interview.

With regards to the Vord, keep in mind that Alera was not the first place they have been.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline vadaniels1

• Lurker
  • Stupid latin correspondence course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »
You do make some good points Mith.  It could just be my paranoia, but Vinnypop also brought a good point about the duels which is very much like the Juris Macto.  So it is possible that this is very long time after Alera has fallen for whatever reason.  But I'm more than likely reading to far into this and having "shared universe fever".   
Hey! I'm not a lurker I'm more of a stalker.  See you tonight.  ;)

Offline Maredudd

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • My Website . . . or is that my wife's?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 01:40:07 PM »
You do make some good points Mith.  It could just be my paranoia, but Vinnypop also brought a good point about the duels which is very much like the Juris Macto.
The duels are also very "Age of Sail" . . .
The question isn't "Can I do this . . . "
The question you should ask is "Should I do this . . . "

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »
The duels are also very "Age of Sail" . . .
They are very "Every Period But the Current One."   :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain