Author Topic: Soul WAG.  (Read 2428 times)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Soul WAG.
« on: October 14, 2015, 12:27:50 PM »
Something I was thinking about this morning, just noticed it was previous articulated here:

This lends the possibility that the ships gain "soul" from their crew -- and the ships with the longest crews and most devoted crews would thus have the most "life".

I think there are a bunch of hints that support this theory:

- Remember the whole "ships that are treated as transport don't preform as well" claim?  It would fit very much.  Note also that the claim (along with "there's no evidence") sounds very much like the Alera books where Furies in wild were stronger (and had more personality) than Furies in the city.

- It certainly explains how power cores get more efficient.  More soul to devour.

- You have to "will" a crystal glove to work.  Pouring soul power into it?

- Etherialists seem to be able to manipulate energies without using a crystal.  Perhaps they have more soul (and why they start having "holes")?  By extension, could Archangels be all soul (i.e. DF reference)?

- Mentioned here as well, but perhaps the Enemy is a power crystal that has been around long enough to gain enormous power?  After all, it's Folly that talks to crystals. 
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
Re: Soul WAG.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »
Grimm said..."You can't expect a cat to change his fur because you think it would be better."

Creedy blinked at that. "I...I don't understand.

"A ship is more that wood and crysttals and ethersilk, Byron." Grimm said. "Some thick-skulled vat counters here have always said it was nonsense, but the men of the ship know better. Airships aren't just vehicles-and the men who treat them like more than that get more out of them."

"In the academy we were taught that it has never been conclusively-"

"I went to the acaademy, too, thank you," Grimm said. "The academy is where knowledge begins - not where it ends. You're a solid man. You'll understand in time.

I was actually going to post this last night but none of the threads seemed quite right for it
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45:42 PM »
I was actually going to post this last night but none of the threads seemed quite right for it

Yup, that's the quote I meant. 

DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline SetStndbySmn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 01:17:49 AM »
Folly's observation lesson in the Wayist library, as well as how she compares the souls of Predator and Grimm are sound evidence as well.  Predator is likely an aggregate soul of her crew pouring their blood, sweat, and tears into her, and I'd also venture to guess that her ancient power core plays no small part in adding additional depth and awareness to her.