Author Topic: Ending (mayor spoilers, obviously)  (Read 6462 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Ending (mayor spoilers, obviously)
« on: October 13, 2015, 06:53:56 PM »
I am very scared too. I don't want to see the Predator destroyed, specially not after we heard her "talk". I am also worried for the Albion sphere itself, as it the home of the characters and their families, but I think my worse fear is for the ship. After what Jim did to the Blue Beetle I don't think anything is safe and Folly's vision terrified me.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Ending (mayor spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:02:05 PM »
As long as Grimm can recover the Power Core, I think 'she' will be ok.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
The Mistshark has a similar 'heartbeat' to Folly's senses, fwiw....   ;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Altra

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 09:32:26 AM »
True, but one person (or ship) simply can't be replaced by something "similar".

I was rather scared to. And annoyed. I hate hate hate stuff like that at the end of a book.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 02:30:41 PM »
I would have had no problem with an ominous but less specific dream. But yes, that was too much.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Ending (major spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
True, but one person (or ship) simply can't be replaced by something "similar".

I was rather scared to. And annoyed. I hate hate hate stuff like that at the end of a book.
I didnt mean that, I'm just hoping that it implies Mistshark
(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 06:49:07 PM »
I think that sentient ships are the ones that earn a name for themselves in history, such as the Argo, which had a talking masthead.  So a regular ship would not start as sentient, especially if the power core is new.  But the older the core, the stronger the personality becomes.  I would think it also depends on the captain and crew as well.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 04:00:26 AM »
I think that sentient ships are the ones that earn a name for themselves in history, such as the Argo, which had a talking masthead.  So a regular ship would not start as sentient, especially if the power core is new.  But the older the core, the stronger the personality becomes.  I would think it also depends on the captain and crew as well.
perhaps the faceting puts limits on the core?  or perhaps they all have the potential for sentience, but it takes centuries for it to develop.  That they become more powerful as they age would make me think this is possible.

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 03:13:07 AM »
perhaps the faceting puts limits on the core?  or perhaps they all have the potential for sentience, but it takes centuries for it to develop.  That they become more powerful as they age would make me think this is possible.
I think the faceting would hasten the process of becoming sentient. The unfaceted one Grimm has took much longer to get to it's level than one that had been created at the same time with the faceting tech of the current day and age would. (Completely unfounded opinion but that's what I think would happen)
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 04:45:55 AM »
The lift crystal was the faceted one.  I expect the core crystal to be the "house" of the Predator's consciousness, since that's the crystal that's been there all along.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 05:42:39 AM »
The lift crystal was the faceted one.  I expect the core crystal to be the "house" of the Predator's consciousness, since that's the crystal that's been there all along.
Agreed, the other crystals on a ship are secondary to the main power one. I just meant that the faceting and more advanced techniques of creating lift crystals shortens the time it takes for a crystal to gain a soul, as it were.

But thinking about it, how does a ship with multiple power crystals function as a single sentient being?
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline fish321

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 09:26:57 AM »
If they are sentient it's entirely possible that the power crystals do not gain in personality because of age but are instead crystallized forms of....something. however you look at it if this world were earth 20000 years from now perhaps some gods of the dresden verse hid parts of themselves in crystals when they saw what was coming, perhaps 20000 years post Alera we are seeing what became of furies, perhaps predator was a great fury, or maybe Artemis or Sekmet while mistshark was a dark god and the Itasca power core came from the three graces or furies. If they are sentient they could even work well together or not so much depending on who they are. I'm just inverting what yall are saying somewhat, the age of the crystal doesn't effect the personality so much as the personality is what chooses to create the crystal. We have seen that bits of human souls can be broken away into books so why not natural or godlike powers putting pieces of themselves into the power crystals, maybe they even cut a deal to do so.
Wile E. Coyote.....Suuuuuuper genius

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »
I am hesitant to call this a future of either the DV or Codex Alera.  The best connection that I can see would be that the Vord show up at some point.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 03:19:08 AM »
I am hesitant to call this a future of either the DV or Codex Alera.  The best connection that I can see would be that the Vord show up at some point.
I don't see it as the world of Alera, but the Enemy - particularly with Cavendish being a "puppet" - seems somewhat Vordlike.  could this be TDF Earth thousands of years in the future, with whatever happens in the BAT altering the atmosphere enough and magic evolving into etherealists?  possibly, but i don't think Mr. Butcher would canon-weld everything together.