Author Topic: Folly's speech  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Fenn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Folly's speech
« on: October 06, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »
Maybe I read it incorrectly, but it seemed as though Folly changed her speech pattern at the end of the book. On the ship with Grimm she seemed to be talking directly to him.
Also, the voice told her she was whole. I wonder if Briget might have helped with that.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
Re: Folly's speech
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:42:49 PM »
It was mentioned that Grimm counted as a crystal when he was on his ship for Folly.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Agravaine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:42:48 PM »
Yes, it would seem that Folly considers Grimm to be the Predator (and vice versa) when aboard.

Offline Fenn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:37:10 AM »
Thanks. I can't believe I missed that.

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »
More interesting to me is that she also changed her speech when confronted by both Cavendish and by the Enemy. The fact that Cavendish could have quite likely taken offence to Folly's normal speech patterns makes me suspect that Folly can force herself to speak directly to others, it's just hard for her (she mentions that her Master keeps himself from falling apart through willpower).

I wonder if Folly's direct speech with the enemy is a clue as to the enemy's nature, somehow.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline feliscon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:46:14 PM »
More interesting to me is that she also changed her speech when confronted by both Cavendish and by the Enemy. The fact that Cavendish could have quite likely taken offence to Folly's normal speech patterns makes me suspect that Folly can force herself to speak directly to others, it's just hard for her (she mentions that her Master keeps himself from falling apart through willpower).

I wonder if Folly's direct speech with the enemy is a clue as to the enemy's nature, somehow.

She also talks directly to Efferus, so I think it's more about etherialists being a special case in a similar way to how Grimm is a special case when aboard Predator (and yes I think that is significant).

I don't think that Folly can force herself to speak directly to others who aren't in her exceptions, I think the reference to willpower is that he still mostly gets on with life ok and keeps his compulsions to a relatively narrow area. He still can't use doorknobs even to go treat a dying girl, or function without his collection even to save the poisoned crew.

As someone with Asperger's the etherialists really stuck a chord with me. I'm fortunate in that I'm high functioning and CAN overcome the way my mind works in some cases through willpower, but there's always a cost and mental energy is a preciously scan resource sometimes. I get how it could be impossible to break the patterns even in life or death situations for some people, and I was pretty happy with how it was portraid and other characters reactions to it.

Offline Agravaine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »
Just to follow up, Folly I believe can directly speak to beings that use Aetherial (sp, cause I listen to books on audio, not read) Energy -- so she can directly address Eferous, Cavendish, the Enemy, Predator, her crystal collections and ... Grimm.  Grimm maybe very, very close to an Aetherialist while aboard Predator. 

She also stated that she didn't talk to Puppets, even though she technically addresses Cavendish directly.  Apparently, the "holes" in Cavendish are filled up with the Enemy, whereas Eferous and Folly have to do other things to fill up the holes.  That's why Folly and Eferous are more benign, but also more broken the Cavendish appears.  Other than her fixation on courtesy, Cavendish appears to be much more functional.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
Apparently, the "holes" in Cavendish are filled up with the Enemy, whereas Eferous and Folly have to do other things to fill up the holes.

I gather that Cavendish holes are filled with tea parties and polite behavior.  And the Enemy has some link to her besides that. 
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 05:19:35 AM »
I gather that Cavendish holes are filled with tea parties and polite behavior.  And the Enemy has some link to her besides that.
Yeah, this is sort of my view on it so far. The 'holes' are random weird quibbles and I don't think they can be filled by a person/thing they aren't in constant contact with
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 05:48:59 AM »
She also talks directly to Efferus, so I think it's more about etherialists being a special case in a similar way to how Grimm is a special case when aboard Predator (and yes I think that is significant).

I don't think that Folly can force herself to speak directly to others who aren't in her exceptions, I think the reference to willpower is that he still mostly gets on with life ok and keeps his compulsions to a relatively narrow area. He still can't use doorknobs even to go treat a dying girl, or function without his collection even to save the poisoned crew.

As someone with Asperger's the etherialists really stuck a chord with me. I'm fortunate in that I'm high functioning and CAN overcome the way my mind works in some cases through willpower, but there's always a cost and mental energy is a preciously scan resource sometimes. I get how it could be impossible to break the patterns even in life or death situations for some people, and I was pretty happy with how it was portraid and other characters reactions to it.

I agree with what you said. Remember when she speaks about how she "sees" people, like shadows or something, probably ethearlists look like cristals to her, so she can talk to them.  I believe Grimm ONLY in the Predator works as an etherealist, because he can "read" his ship.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)