Author Topic: The Spy  (Read 14504 times)

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
Re: The Spy
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 03:44:06 AM »
i do not see another person as the spy. Rook is just an overachieving greedy moron. Beyard is an opportunist most likely but not a bad guy.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 04:22:31 AM »
I was worried the whole book about
(click to show/hide)
because I was sure he
(click to show/hide)
and I really liked him. In fact, he is one of my favorites. But unless we will meet the spy in the next book, I don't see other candidates (well,
(click to show/hide)
but he seems too stupid)
At first, I thought
(click to show/hide)
but then the book continued and I don't believe it anymore.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 04:54:54 AM »
I don't see Rook for the same reason I didn't peg Langtry for a Black Council spy. Too obvious and it won't have the same impact beyond more enforcement of his negative traits.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 05:20:44 AM »
Oh, of course, it COULD be
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 05:25:20 AM »
I could see it being Creedy long before it's Rook.

And I'm not saying that because I hate Creedy. I actually like him? But even Grimm considers the question of how trustworthy he is early on, which would make a subtle hindsight moment if he were the spy.

Offline brighellac

• Conversationalist
  • Butters' next great quest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »
Who has just one spy in an area they're about to invade? 

The evil spire seems more competent than the second Bush administration after all.

Please take the second line as the joke it's intended to be...

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 03:49:30 PM »
Oh, of course, it COULD be
(click to show/hide)

I didn't even consider this!   Hmmm....   

My first choice still stands, but this option interests me.   

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
Reginal Astor makes a certain amount of sense. He bolted pretty quickly when the air raid siren went off - even lost his own second from the duel. Makes me wonder if he had warning.

And of course, it would make a certain amount of scheming sense for the number two House in the Spire to think they could play the Aurorans against the Spirearch and the Lancasters, and expect to come out on top as head of a puppet government in league with the Aurorans after they win the war.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
Reginal Astor makes a certain amount of sense. He bolted pretty quickly when the air raid siren went off - even lost his own second from the duel. Makes me wonder if he had warning.

And of course, it would make a certain amount of scheming sense for the number two House in the Spire to think they could play the Aurorans against the Spirearch and the Lancasters, and expect to come out on top as head of a puppet government in league with the Aurorans after they win the war.
Im not saying he's not stupid, but it would have been pretty stupid to rise to the proverbial bait of that Duel with Bridget if he knew it was going to go down right in the middle of an Invasion, forcing him to stand out in the open in a place that could get him killed (like it did his 2nd).  He was preoccupied with duels and reputation and the legalities of cat citizenship, which should have been pushed out of his brain if he knew of the impending attack.  Plus, he's a guys who's entire self-worth is based on the social order of the Spire, I dont see why he'd be willing to help tear it all down. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 04:56:17 PM »
Neen is one of the spies. That's the whole purpose of the silkweavers. It wasn't about humans, Cavendish used them to press the cats into service or at least to threaten them enough that they stay out of the way.

Neen was the only cat still walking around in Habble Landing.
His dad was not happy with him, but he wasn't in a position to oppose him, that's why he looked at Neen before he said "Send them to the ropes". Wearily. He was gambling that Raul and his humans might be able to survive and report back to the humans. But he knew that it was real risky.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 12:43:18 AM »
Any one else think the situation that caused Grimm to be discharged from the navy would be some how involved in the conspiracy, and likely reveal the true spy. I doubt it is co incidence that the two of his fellow officers just happened to be near by the enemy ship. If you can't get a hole in the enemy defenses, make sure that you co opt those you might encounter.
k moinuddin

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 07:05:48 AM »
I think it's a distinct posibility but I wouldn't bet on it either  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Rygar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »
After learning of Cavendish and the breadth of dreadful skills, I quit believing there was a double agent involved.  Just Cavendish using her certain set of skills to aid the Aurorans.  None of the inquisitors or the Spirearch mention the possibility of the presumed spy remaining at large in the Spire during the denouement after all.

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »
Dammit. I REALLY like this theory :(. Very very sad because Bayard is one of my favorite characters. Which is, of course, a perfect reason for him to be the traitor.

I agree with the earlier post about Abigail being mentioned more than was necessary being of interest, maybe she is the traitor.

The one thing I can think of to counter any of it is that both the Spirearch and Grimm mention that they think the traitor is in the Guard. Grimm even specifically says that as being one of the reasons Addison used the criminal guilds of Landing to be ready for a potential attack, and did not dispatch additional members of the Guard. Of course they could be wrong, and an aristocrat or high ranking member of the fleet would certainly be able to find ways of their own to gather such information. But for the moment they are proceeding from the assumption that the spy is in the Guard, specifically.

(oh hey, what about the Spirearch's batman?)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
If we go by Alera, then Reggie is Brencis, and the spy is simply Reginald's father.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html