Author Topic: The Spy  (Read 14496 times)

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
The Spy
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:08:02 PM »
My Guess for the Spy

(click to show/hide)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
Re: The Spy
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:12:34 PM »
I thought it was implied that Cavendish was the spy for Albion.  She was the direct contact for the Auroran forces.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:15:22 PM »
I assumed she was more of a Rogue Element than the actual Spy.  I could be wrong. 

Offline Agravaine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 03:19:09 AM »
Bayard is a good guess.  Personally, I'm fitting Commodore Bayard for a Lord Nelson suit.

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 04:01:32 AM »
I think I favor Rook for this.  He appears to be more of a deal under the table while appearing all spit and polish aboveboard.  Cant get what he wants normally, lowball someone.  That doesn't work, threaten.  That doesn't work, oh well.  Guess I'll have to wait for my Auroran friends to show.

(click to show/hide)

Offline FrankyMcShanky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 03:46:49 AM »
Something else to consider that supports the Baynard theory; The attack on Baynard and Grimm near the beginning of the book.  Why would the Silkweavers attack them and potentially blow the Aurorians cover?  Why were they in Hobble Morning, hundreds of miles above Habble Landing?  Was Cavendash trying to take out Baynard (her spy) before he could be compromised?  It's not like she had a reason to be wary of Grimm yet.  She seems like the kind of gal to keep her puppets on a tight leash. 

The only thing that makes me not want to finger Baynard as the spy is that Fenrus seems to trust him.

My theory is that whatever attacked Baynard and Grim in the tunnels wasn't actually Silkweavers but something else and now Grim has some kind of important hoodoo running through his arm.

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »
Personally, I think Cavendish was the spy as the one who passed information to Olimpia, that dosen't mean there isn't a second spy, someone who passed information to Cavendish so she could send to Olimpia. Baynard is an option, especially if he resents the Spire for the treatment of Grimm. As for Rook, I think he is just a coward.

As for why the silkweavers attacked Grimm and Baynard, it's too random to be sure. Could be that Cavendish sent them to scout/clear the tunnels so the Marine attack on the cristals factories (vataries? don't remember the word used right now). And they just got out of her control with the distance and went feral.  Or it could be a plot so Baynard could take Grimm to the aetherist house and mark it for the marines who tried to kill him.

Too few information to do anything but especulate..

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »
Mirl told Rowl that there had been many reports of cats going missing, that they didn't know what was attacking them.  I'd say that points to silkweaver attacks becoming more and more common as their numbers grew, and Grimm was just unlucky enough for them to choose as a human target.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline FrankyMcShanky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »
Mirl told Rowl that there had been many reports of cats going missing, that they didn't know what was attacking them.  I'd say that points to silkweaver attacks becoming more and more common as their numbers grew, and Grimm was just unlucky enough for them to choose as a human target.

They specifically note that those attacks where in the lower hobbles.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 10:01:08 PM »
Not exactly.  If the silkweaver infestation was centered in Habble Landing, it makes sense that it would take time for attacks of opportunity to spread to the top of the Spire, though.  That seems to be exactly what happened.

Quote from: Aeronaut's Windlass Ch.6
Mirl twitched her ears in an amused flick, but her tone became more serious.  "He says that Longthinker has confirmed the reports of the Silent Paw scouts."
Rowl moved his eyes to the smaller cat.  "The new things in the air shafts?"
Mirl blinker her eyes in affirmation.  "So say the Shadow Tails, and the Quick Claws, and half a dozen other tribes besides them.  Cats have gone missing in other habbles as well--but none have seen what took them."

Offline Agravaine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 09:45:17 PM »
The Silk-weaver attack on Grimm and Beyard happened right after Grimm slapped Rook around and rejected his offer to sell Predator's core crystal.  Upon reflection, I don't think that's coincidence. 

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 03:32:11 AM »
I don't really need a reason to dislike Rook any more, but, yeah.  He's the spy in my mind, just based on his everything else.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 03:25:49 AM »
I don't really need a reason to dislike Rook any more, but, yeah.  He's the spy in my mind, just based on his everything else.

Is Jim that nice?  We already despise Rook, seeing him outed as a spy and losing everything would be deeply enjoyable and satisfying.  That's why I like Beyard for it.  That would hurt Grimm, and Jim seems to take great pleasure in that.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Phaeton Seraph

• Conversationalist
  • Diogenes. With fricken laser beams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 04:13:48 AM »

Habbles.

Hobbles are for keeping writers from escaping confinement while you force them to finish writing their book without interruption.

I'm better than a shirt.  I'm a sword....  Look, they're still breathing.   Stupid shirt.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »
Is Jim that nice?  We already despise Rook, seeing him outed as a spy and losing everything would be deeply enjoyable and satisfying.  That's why I like Beyard for it.  That would hurt Grimm, and Jim seems to take great pleasure in that.

Well, we don't know he's necessarily going to be as harsh on this new set of protagonists as he is on Dresden.