Author Topic: The Index  (Read 23376 times)

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Index
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 10:43:59 PM »
An index is useful as it show where info about a specific name is located in a page, book or section. But she seemed so much more focused on the names, what if it show which name was specificly linked to which available piece of lore, so knowing who is responsible for what. That is specific information needed to solve issues.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »
An index is useful as it show where info about a specific name is located in a page, book or section. But she seemed so much more focused on the names, what if it show which name was specificly linked to which available piece of lore, so knowing who is responsible for what. That is specific information needed to solve issues.
Hmmm, What if the Warriorborn Half-souled arent actually the only example of genetic manipulation floating around?  What if that is simply the most common and most obvious? 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 11:25:54 PM »
The question is are they the result of a unique heritage, or magical tansformation.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2015, 08:32:43 PM »
The question is are they the result of a unique heritage, or magical tansformation.
Good point.  With the Half-souled I was originally assuming a lost form of genetic manipulation by The Builders.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »
I wonder if half souled means they are only half way through their transformation, similar to the semi rcv. I always thought the Wcv were only partially transformed, so the Warriors could be something similar.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
I wonder if half souled means they are only half way through their transformation, similar to the semi rcv. I always thought the Wcv were only partially transformed, so the Warriors could be something similar.
Well, keep in mind that Half-souled is exclusively the Cat term for them, and I hesitate to credit the cats for possessing any kind of secret knowledge regarding that.  At least until we find out more details of why they can talk now
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2015, 03:22:47 AM »
What if the cats sense the Warriors are somehow incomplete?
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2015, 03:43:03 PM »
What if the cats sense the Warriors are somehow incomplete?
Well, i suppose it's possible.  Though a race that does battle by studiously ignoring each other does not, to my mind, get high marks for subtle perceptiveness :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2015, 06:22:07 AM »
That would be a social awareness not sensory awareness.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2015, 01:48:02 PM »
That would be a social awareness not sensory awareness.
True, though one often masquerades as the other  :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2015, 09:59:26 AM »
Something else to consider is that the power contained in the book must not be something obvious or something particularly useful to a common reader. Otherwise, Cavendish would never ask basic Marines to make copies of the book after she attained it.

My first thought was some kind of lineage thing. I kinda like the idea of it relating to the builders and/or their decedents somehow.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2015, 02:08:36 PM »
One thing to remember is that the amount information that Cavendish was looking for was large.  It's not merely about a few names (that could easily be copied down).  She essentially memorized the entire book.

I think this implies that the importance of the information comes from the set of names as a whole (e.g. for statistical information?), than about a few important individuals.  Either that, or Cavendish still doesn't know which names are important.

It might be about bloodlines if the "names" refer to actual people, but I'm not convinced we can make that assertion yet.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2015, 01:32:07 AM »
It might not just be the names, but their associated references.
k moinuddin

Offline skybluemonk

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »
my thoughts
Its a Wayist Document and they are independent of spires. If the book was not a public document it can be assumed it contained information the Wayist and /or some other power/organisation wanted kept secret/. Its existence would have been suspected and maybe its nature but not the contents. For example the Spirearch does not seem surprised when given 2 copies and recognises its importance. As far as we know Ferus showed no interest in it yet Cavandish did so  its not necessarily something central to an etherealist. So means to an ends rather than having any power in itself and Cavandish was securing it for the Aurorans or for her Master. Its value it seems is in the content remaining secret  now its in Cavandish's memory and in her physical copy the actual book she had is irrelevant. That Albion has it is of no concern. Also of interest given that she has memorised it she does need a physical copy. In her memory it would make her more important but she cant risk that or she wont defy orders to provide a physical copy.
Content is names clearly burning the copies is an attempt to delay the knowledge of the content from being known to others but not an absolute necessity or Cavendish would have destroyed her copy when memorised. The burning of the Monastery is a definite primary  target of the incursion of the marines sending a message to others and acquiring the Index. Destroying copies useful but as subsequent actions of hers shows not absolutely essential.She wants more copies in her control as she orders for Marines to make copies. She is not worried about the marines seeing or knowing the names. Either because she is planning to kill them  or because the names as such are meaningless to them. Some other knowledge or context is needed to make sense of the names. The index is some link in a chain. That the Spirearch doesn't open to read suggests he knows this is not immediate knowledge he needs or not immediately available to him simply by reading.
Names can be of things and of people. Which, really we have no clue and can be of both ie names of Spires and of people in them.  From the  mass of pages on her table  on to which Cavendish was  copying her memory  the index was a book of some size and therefore a large number of names
By the way we only have Cavendish's statement that it contains names, is that all it contains, is she lying?
"An index is an indirect shortcut derived from and pointing into a greater volume of values, data, information or knowledge"
That its called an index  suggests the latter part  shortcut to information or knowledge. Names of other books people who hold knowledge or where it can be found. There is a suggestion of secret knowledge and not much of a stretch to associate that with the Builders and what will unfold as a race to its discovery.

Offline Fedd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2016, 02:24:22 PM »
One thing to remember is that the amount information that Cavendish was looking for was large.  It's not merely about a few names (that could easily be copied down).  She essentially memorized the entire book.

I think this implies that the importance of the information comes from the set of names as a whole (e.g. for statistical information?), than about a few important individuals.  Either that, or Cavendish still doesn't know which names are important.

It might be about bloodlines if the "names" refer to actual people, but I'm not convinced we can make that assertion yet.

Maybe they are Names in the Name of the Wind sense.