Author Topic: The Index  (Read 23363 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: The Index
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 11:17:05 PM »
eh...why not the same Wayists?
eh...why should it be the same Wayists?  ( ;))

For the simple sake of cultural diversity, Id enjoy seeing different agencies taking up the role of Preserver of Knowledge in the different Spires.  If there is a specific plot reason for the Wayist's to be the sole organization that gives a damn, then that's fine.  But if it's just another bit of Setting, I'd enjoy seeing more divergent cultures in each of the Spires. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2015, 11:46:34 PM »
I agree there could be other organizations that preserve knowledge, but Wayists in every spire should be doing it too.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 04:31:23 AM »
Say wayists have a temple and library in every spire, why would they have not shared such an ancient book with other spires before? And this spire had multiple copies, do we know if the printing press has been made yet. If books are so rare, they might not. So this spire might be where the book was first written.
 Each temple in each spire, likely to have the collective knowledge of that specific spire. I bet that it is possible that every book written publicly and many private ones were in the library.
k moinuddin

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 04:48:41 AM »
Well, that was why I wondering.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 01:38:08 PM »
I agree there could be other organizations that preserve knowledge, but Wayists in every spire should be doing it too.
Agreed, but do we know that they are present?  I dont recall if they mentioned other temples or referred to that one as one of many. 

The Library/Collection was introduced as The Great Library of Spire Albion, which at least tries to make is sound unique, in a Seven Wonders of the World sort of way.  In fact, as of now that is what I hope it is: one of the Seven Wonders of the Spire World (the spiritual successor to the Library of Alexandria).

Say wayists have a temple and library in every spire, why would they have not shared such an ancient book with other spires before? And this spire had multiple copies, do we know if the printing press has been made yet. If books are so rare, they might not. So this spire might be where the book was first written.
 Each temple in each spire, likely to have the collective knowledge of that specific spire. I bet that it is possible that every book written publicly and many private ones were in the library.
Interesting thought.  The printing press is historically important because it brought down the unit price of books and made literacy accessible to the masses.  But that was because the cost was labor-related; what if the material cost is the prohibitive factor? Paper and otehr wood products are and will always be crazy expensive, so it might not catch on.  On the other hand, the way you apparently have to strip leather off the meat slabs periodically to keep them growing would mean they'd have a glut of parchment and Vellum.  Though they call it paper, I think, so it could be actual plant pulp/paper. 

I dont think they actually have the printing press (at least not in Albion) since the monks had set up their preservation efforts by copying volumes by hand. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 02:20:41 PM »
Agreed, but do we know that they are present?  I dont recall if they mentioned other temples or referred to that one as one of many. 

Brother Vincent said they cannot mix with the war between spires and one of the reasons is that they are neutral Wayists in Spire Aurora. Or at least, that is what I remember, I can be wrong.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 02:53:10 PM »
Brother Vincent said they cannot mix with the war between spires and one of the reasons is that they are neutral Wayists in Spire Aurora. Or at least, that is what I remember, I can be wrong.
That rings a bell...  I need to reread those passages again.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 05:01:22 AM »
It seemed to me that burning the temple was a message to the organization. Or at least one faction in their order.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 03:33:19 PM »
It seemed to me that burning the temple was a message to the organization. Or at least one faction in their order.
Likely that too.  I imagine it had several goals, Some for Aurora, Some for Cavendish, some for The Enemy
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 06:34:45 PM »
What do the other spires view the wayists? They might not be that invested in a conflict between these two spires, but would disapprove or be against a spire that wipes out a wayist temple, even if they follow God in heaven.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »
What do the other spires view the wayists? They might not be that invested in a conflict between these two spires, but would disapprove or be against a spire that wipes out a wayist temple, even if they follow God in heaven.
Excellent question. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2015, 09:36:23 PM »
The fact they are using mist spiders as weapons will worry spires as they are barely controlled, and dangerous to everyone. It would be similar if an a nation had a known weapon of mass destruction program, specificity biological weaponry.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2015, 09:59:12 PM »
The fact they are using mist spiders as weapons will worry spires as they are barely controlled, and dangerous to everyone. It would be similar if an a nation had a known weapon of mass destruction program, specificity biological weaponry.
Well, that was Cavendish who is technically an Albion native (Albionian?  Albionite?).  I think it might be more analogous to a particular nation that was caught working with a corporate-backed terrorist group that was known to specialize in exotic weaponry (Maybe analogous to Red Mercury, as something multiple sides chased but could not achieve).  It's troubling in a diplomatic sense, but they'd know (if they listen to Folly) that the Auroran's themselves do not posses that capability. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 08:35:08 PM »
The fact they were willing to use them, has to worrying by itself.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 09:37:44 PM »
The fact they were willing to use them, has to worrying by itself.
Was there anything confirming that anyone outside of the infiltration crew knew about them?  It wasnt a critical part of the plan, the Auroran Command could conceivably not know about that part depending on how much actual contact they had with Cavendish, and how much of her wider plans she revealed to them.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/