Author Topic: Social Status of Warriorborn  (Read 13778 times)

Offline Agravaine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Social Status of Warriorborn
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 05:58:47 AM »
I also think that the more human-like nature of cats is significant somehow -- as if some cats (i.e. the ones surviving on spires) and some people (i.e. warrior born) kind of swapped some traits.

Rowwl talks about having a "thumb-paw", obviously sports a 100+ IQ, speaks a verbal language, has a distinct culture, etc. 

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 04:00:54 PM »
in DF, cats are uniqu beings. Able to freely pass circles and able to perceive more than most.

I wonder if the Warriors are a purposely created or a side effect. Etherialists are the born, made or taught. Those people have the ability to percieve ether which cats could provide. Due to the limited number of etherialists in comparison to warriors, I wonder if the lesser etherialists simply become engineers.
k moinuddin

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »
Maybe Warriors were the result of a genetic experiment. At some point in the distant past people badly needed super-power fighters and some Dr. Frankenstein had the bright idea to steal a few cat-genes and implant them in male human embryos. They were never meant to procreate, but they did anyway. By now, the (recessive) genes are in virtually every bloodline. As we've not seen a female warrior yet, I'm assuming that women can pass the gene down the line for a couple of generations without anyone noticing until some day, in some family, a male baby is super-hungry and super-strong.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
I wonder if these warrior and uplifted cats are all descended from their own progenitor, or a group/family of them.
 Why don't ships have more contact with cats? In sailing stories there is often tales about a ship's cat. I can see the spire recruiting adventuring cat from their population to cat the ships.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 03:18:37 PM »
I wonder if these warrior and uplifted cats are all descended from their own progenitor, or a group/family of them.
 Why don't ships have more contact with cats? In sailing stories there is often tales about a ship's cat. I can see the spire recruiting adventuring cat from their population to cat the ships.
The only thing I can come up with is that theses cats are so much more social/organized, and only somewhat rarely seem to have positive dealing with people, that they havent wanted to be the solitary Cat on a human vessel.  Separately, I suspect that the ships have to deal with Rat problems far less than their sea-fairing ancestors, which was the primary reason for domesticated cats on board.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 06:23:14 PM »
Cats are on ships to deal with the rat population that invariably shows up. Maybe there aren't rats on that world so it never became a crossover?
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 10:48:33 PM »
Cats deal with almost any small pest that t.hreatens cargo or supplies.

If warriors are a bloodline thing, then I would expect for there to be warrior based houses to augement the noble ones. Even if it is not a dominant heritage, those that don't express would still be able to apply for the spire reach guard or military service, so be known as a militant family.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »
Cats deal with almost any small pest that t.hreatens cargo or supplies.

If warriors are a bloodline thing, then I would expect for there to be warrior based houses to augement the noble ones. Even if it is not a dominant heritage, those that don't express would still be able to apply for the spire reach guard or military service, so be known as a militant family.
Benny was from a splinter/branch Family of gwen's yes?  I wonder if they have a higher tendancy of Warrior-born?  Given that Gwen mentioned a Warriorborn would be an acceptable mate if he were the actual heir to the house, I have to think it can manifest unexpectedly in, so perhaps it doesnt breed particularly true, or at least doesnt manifest reliably?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 03:21:37 AM »
Nobility often intermingled with warrior families. Their ancestors rewarded for their actions in battle. But I would think they would be eager to marry daughters to warriors, to bolster their influence and power.
 I can see them making advantageous marriages in the cadet lines, so even if the high nobility disdain them, the lower ones would be eager to accept them.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 02:54:59 PM »
Nobility often intermingled with warrior families. Their ancestors rewarded for their actions in battle. But I would think they would be eager to marry daughters to warriors, to bolster their influence and power.
 I can see them making advantageous marriages in the cadet lines, so even if the high nobility disdain them, the lower ones would be eager to accept them.
Depending on the pervasive levels of the racism involve, you may well be right, from a logical standpoint.  But racism and logic...?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 06:14:35 AM »
It is one thing to be racist to a minority or underclass, it is another to act in such a manner to people who are literally made to fight. Even if they are nobility, don't mess with those whose duties keep you in power. Sure there might be idiot but eventually enought will be killed, that the nobility will have removed all those too prejudiced to survive.
k moinuddin

Offline Silentbrick

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 09:17:51 PM »
I didn't really notice anyone digging into what struck me as the immediate answer to why.  Warriorborn are effectively genetically engineered super soldiers.  Yes they are useful and make excellent guards but the fact they are only partly human.  The Saurons from Pournelle's CoDominium series is a good example of why normals might fear them.
"No Nuke Too Big, No Target Too Small"