Author Topic: Sneaky line?  (Read 10078 times)

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Sneaky line?
« on: October 02, 2015, 07:40:33 PM »
TAW Hardback pg 338

"He must be a private captain."
"Olympian, I should think, from the colors and the fur trim of his coat," Master Ferus put in. "Olympian and, it would seem, possessed of fury. Which is funny, if you know enough history."

Key words being Olympian and Fury, of course. I havent finished the book yet so there might yet be some background info on Spire Olympia I dont know yet, but is this a (not so thinly) veiled reference to Codex Alera being the distant past in TAW? Olympia being Roman, of course, and referring to the Roman legions of Alera and their Furies.

Well, if I have to spell it out at this point you prolly dont get it, but I thought it was pretty clever :). So the question in my mind will be where do the Dresden Files fall in the grand timeline of things, if at all?

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaky line?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 02:23:13 AM »
Furies being prominent in parts of Greek mythology, and Olympus being the home of the (Greek) gods, it could just be an historical pun.  Doesn't mean it's Alera, just means it shares at least some history with Earth.

Offline cornyphil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 04:35:22 AM »
Furies being prominent in parts of Greek mythology, and Olympus being the home of the (Greek) gods, it could just be an historical pun.  Doesn't mean it's Alera, just means it shares at least some history with Earth.

There is at least some potential that WE (being modern humans) are the Builders.  That's why language puns like that exist...

Of course that would make Cinder Spires set in a massive post-apocalypse scenario where much of technology was lost... which isn't unreasonable I suppose.
One does not simply "parkour".  One shouts it aloud as one performs the act!  PARKOUR!

Offline Fedd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 03:46:20 PM »
There is at least some potential that WE (being modern humans) are the Builders.  That's why language puns like that exist...

Of course that would make Cinder Spires set in a massive post-apocalypse scenario where much of technology was lost... which isn't unreasonable I suppose.

Isnt there also a line where someone says a version of "Semper Fi"? It seems like the story might be set in a future version of Earth where the Enemy drove us off the surface.

I dont remember the part of human history where we mastered anti gravity tech (lift crystals) and advanced energy weapons. Compared to the Builders who built miles high indestructible buildings there tech is post apocalypse, but still pretty advanced compared to us. They can forge steel, and artificially generate meat and utilize electricity but its too expensive .  Which makes sense since it would be difficult to maintain large fuel reserves when living in a self contained spire.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:51:41 PM by Fedd »

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 04:47:21 AM »
Isnt there also a line where someone says a version of "Semper Fi"? It seems like the story might be set in a future version of Earth where the Enemy drove us off the surface.
Yes, and a more-or-less direct quotation from the Bible during the mass funeral scene.
I dont remember the part of human history where we mastered anti gravity tech (lift crystals) and advanced energy weapons. Compared to the Builders who built miles high indestructible buildings there tech is post apocalypse, but still pretty advanced compared to us. They can forge steel, and artificially generate meat and utilize electricity but its too expensive .  Which makes sense since it would be difficult to maintain large fuel reserves when living in a self contained spire.
I was sort of figuring that the CRYSTALS!tech and aether mechanics and such were either from technological development between us and the apocalypse . . . or side effects of the apocalypse itself.
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline Fraeg

• Conversationalist
  • Mango fiesta turnip delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 06:32:07 PM »

this is how I read that bit as well. 
Jesus Loves Me, I Only Like Him, It Is Awkward.

Offline NutJobismyJob

• Conversationalist
  • So crazy I just might work
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 07:03:58 PM »
The thought crossed my mind too.  It'd be a pretty oblique reference, but I could see it.
DV V1.2 BK++  RP  JB  TH+  WG++  BC+  MC----  SH [Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 10:39:59 PM »
There is a recent interview where Jim hints that a common backstory could be applicable.  He answered that its possible for him to do a Tavi and Harry book with Tavi as the thief and Harry as the wizard.  So I think in Jim's mind its entirely possible for them to exists within the multiverse he seems to be building in Dresden Files.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline BrianC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 02:59:18 AM »
Really. I would love a link link, please.

There is a recent interview where Jim hints that a common backstory could be applicable.  He answered that its possible for him to do a Tavi and Harry book with Tavi as the thief and Harry as the wizard.  So I think in Jim's mind its entirely possible for them to exists within the multiverse he seems to be building in Dresden Files.

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
  • RIP Fox Sticking-Tongue out Profile Pic- 2007-2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »
Really. I would love a link link, please.

The interview link was in this thread, and Raidem helpfully added some highlights:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,46218.0.html
Pew pew PEW!

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 05:59:09 PM »
Q: Will you ever do a crossover between your universes?
A: It would be kind of cool.  I’m not sure if it sounds cool or cheesy.  Harry’s the wizard, Tavi is the thief…I’m not sure if that would be cool or cheesy.  Though really that’s been my entire career.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 06:00:10 PM »
I think there are many references that indicate that future us are the Builders. One of the clearer ones is the "no smoking" comment.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 06:42:27 AM »

Its the specific phrasing saying that he possesses a Fury that makes it stand out more to me.

Offline Fedd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 09:01:36 PM »
I was sort of figuring that the CRYSTALS!tech and aether mechanics and such were either from technological development between us and the apocalypse . . . or side effects of the apocalypse itself.

Brings up the whole "chicken or the egg" sort of thing. Is Iron-Rot a consequence of whatever drove the Builders off the surface or part of the cause? In addition the animals that exist on the surface seem like exaggerated versions of current species. But spiders dont hunt humans in packs, and as far as we know, cats dont have a spoken language or intricate societies.

Offline wildone654

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 03:44:53 AM »

This was my assumption when I read the book.