Author Topic: Duel with Reggie  (Read 5564 times)

Offline medaron

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Duel with Reggie
« on: October 02, 2015, 02:25:25 AM »
Any ideas why this is never brought up again, by any one, after the initial attack?  I don't think Reggie is mentioned again after the heroes rescue Barnabus Astor.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the pace of the plot keeps them busy, but it just seems so very odd that no mentions that the duel was not completed. You just know that Reggie will not let this go. Or that Rowl, her second for the duel never says anything to Littlemouse about it.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Duel with Reggie
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »
We should probably start a thread for listing unresolved bits and pieces like that...I'd give it a week or two for people to get the book and finish reading.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »
Reggie isn't mentioned again in this book, but the group wasn't in Habble Morning for very long after the duel was interupted either.  Maybe a whole 24 hours at most?  I'm sure Reggie will feature in the next book somehow.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:38:33 PM »
they are at war. I would think that any personal disputes would be put on the back burner. also they saved his relative that was his second. I am thinking some other way will be done to resolve the situation in another book. tbh though war has a way of interrupting and delaying things.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 09:37:28 PM »
They're following the codes of war! No unnecessary dueling during wartimes. We'll have to see if Reggie gets Adolin to replace barney
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 01:21:56 AM »
If Reggie survived the initial attack, he might show up in a later book.

However, he will no longer be facing the Cat Girl from a dying house.  Now she will have distinguished herself in her duties and may be considered a war hero.  Before he was a bully throwing his weight around without fear of reprisal from anyone else.  Now he may decide to just let it go rather than have others look down on him for pressing a relatively petty concern.

Offline cornyphil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 04:42:25 AM »
Reggie might still be able to make a case - especially if the events of the book are kept as a "classified" event.

However, he would be in for a very rude awakening. 
One does not simply "parkour".  One shouts it aloud as one performs the act!  PARKOUR!

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 02:00:31 AM »
Reggie might still be able to make a case - especially if the events of the book are kept as a "classified" event.

There is that.

However, he has another wrinkle.  She was one of the people who saved his second/cousin's life.  Barny may try to talk some sense into him or ask him to drop it all together in deference to that.

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 02:15:48 AM »
There is also the fact that she graduated to a full military person. If reggie hasn't then he wouldn't ever come across her to try and get the duel started again
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 04:03:13 AM »
Then again, this is the same author that has the spell used by Victor Sells come back as the spell being used by the Red Court 11 books later...

I'm thinking this will come back in some form.

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »
Reggie will probably be a continuing adversary/rival in the series for Bridget. I doubt the dual will continue, at least for now.

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 11:56:03 PM »
Reggie was trapped in a duel where he could not help but look bad.  My guess is that he will let it drop once he cools off and several people point out to him that no matter what happens he will look bad.   

of course, that does not mean that Reggie will not be a pain and social enemy.   Just that the duel will not repeat.   After all, it was not to the death or anything.   

Offline Qazi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 06:18:18 AM »
It was mentioned again. Used as a parallel for the "duel" Bridget gets into in chapter 59.

But perhaps not as fully as you're complaining about.

Offline Eami

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 06:16:07 PM »
Jim's Jim, so it could be important later on, But I think it served a pretty valid narrative purpose already by being the reason our characters started working together/become friends. So It's probably alright if it stays unresolved.

On an unrelated note, I'm new to this type of genre, but with the whole duel thing I couldn't not think of that episode of The Simpsons: "Glove slap, baby, glove slap... "
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:33:07 AM by Eami »

Offline Tarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »
I think it would be a great open to Book 2 to start with the duel. 

It'd be a fantastic opportunity to highlight character development, and would fit with the "seeing the mistmaw" talk at the end of the book - The cast has changed dramatically, but everyone else hasn't.  Reggie is still Reggie and she's still on the hook for the duel. 

Hopefully Jim will have Bridget just beat the hell out of him - She's not the same timid girl she was at the start.  She's beaten a man to death with her bare hands, carried a man out of a burning building, and wrestled with a cat in a airshipp battle.