Author Topic: WAG from Left Field!  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
WAG from Left Field!
« on: October 01, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »
ok... i can totally see myself getting ripped for this, but i have to say it cause this feels so right.  :P
(click to show/hide)

yeah yeah yeah......come rip me up. i just feel it is so correct in guessing this lol. until there is a WoJ i will hope. ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:06:53 PM by Phariah »
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Agravaine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: WAG from Left Field!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 04:36:22 AM »
I had a similar thought, I must admit.  However, it's probably just a homage to WOT, not an actual story within its world.  GRRM did something similar by naming a noble house the Jordayne's of the Tor (Jordan and his publishing house Tom Doherty)

Eferous discusses what we would call the "classics" -- i.e. Greek mythology -- when making a joke at the bar.  If Spireworld were another WoT phase, that history would be long, long, long forgotten.  In WoT the "Age of Legends" was/is the age directly following our Age, so Spireworld would have to be several ages after Randland, so 20 thousand years later? or more

Offline NutJobismyJob

• Conversationalist
  • So crazy I just might work
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
Wouldn't it be some pretty blatant copyright infringement if this turned out to be canon? 
DV V1.2 BK++  RP  JB  TH+  WG++  BC+  MC----  SH [Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:36:54 PM »
the spires are built from black obsidian stone
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 04:39:39 AM »
That phrase about death being lighter than duty caught my attention too, but I think it's a homage rather than a subtext that the Spires are supposed to be an age in Jordan's mythos.  The eccentricities of the etherialists pale in comparison to WoT's madmen going on city-buster scale killing sprees until they're brought down or rot to death from the taint. Even Cavendish was at least metastable compared to that.

Plus, a male having a female apprentice wouldn't have worked in Jordan's universe, where each uses different power sources.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 10:20:19 AM »
Kids, lawn, etc:

Imperial Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors

[...]
The Rescript was issued by Emperor Meiji of Japan on 4 January 1882.
[...]
A famous precept in the Imperial Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors states that "duty is heavier than a mountain; death is lighter than a feather."