Author Topic: Core Crystals...  (Read 8238 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Core Crystals...
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »
yeah I do not believe it is the crystal in of itself. they changed out the core crystal yet she is the same I am guessing in personality from how she talks to Folly. i cannot get a solid guess but i am thinking it might be the ship itself when has the personality and gains awareness/ life of some type when it gains a crystal to spark it and reacts w/ the Capt & crew.

if it was just the crystal the personality/ awareness should be totally different than after it was changed.
The core crystal wasnt changed, it was the main Lift Crystal and the various Trim Crystals.  The Core Crystal is the main Power supply for the rest.  I recall in that scene they mentioned how the new more efficient Lift Crystal would let them devote far less of the Core Crystal's capacity than they had rpevisouly, so that it left more for shield and weapon systems.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 08:03:46 PM »
The core crystal wasnt changed, it was the main Lift Crystal and the various Trim Crystals.  The Core Crystal is the main Power supply for the rest.  I recall in that scene they mentioned how the new more efficient Lift Crystal would let them devote far less of the Core Crystal's capacity than they had rpevisouly, so that it left more for shield and weapon systems.
damn yeah my bad. misremembered that last crystal as a core replacement ty for correcting me. damn so than yes it is the core than. gotta rethink this than. damn.  ??? :-X
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
I like that Folly began to ask Grimm direct questions when on the ship.  Its like Grimm, while on the ship, counts as a crystal.  :)
I think this ties into my previous comment about how the ship's soul is only active (or only fully active) when Grimm is present.

She could talk to him because he was a part of the ship at that moment, and she only has trouble talking to people (and cats if I'm remembering right, but I read the book quickly and can't quite recall her interactions with Rowl)
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 12:52:31 PM »
I think this ties into my previous comment about how the ship's soul is only active (or only fully active) when Grimm is present.

She could talk to him because he was a part of the ship at that moment, and she only has trouble talking to people (and cats if I'm remembering right, but I read the book quickly and can't quite recall her interactions with Rowl)
I love that idea, and her whoel eye contact with him thing might lean that way.  To be fair, another explanation (that is less fun) is that Predator wasnt talking before because it's crystal systems were still severely damaged, so she may not have "woken up" enough until she got her new trim and lift crystals installed. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline dimumurray

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 06:13:59 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »
I do not believe it was wanted more so than others. Grimm specifically states that it is for stockpiling of them. that they are wanted in general.

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
I do not believe it was wanted more so than others. Grimm specifically states that it is for stockpiling of them. that they are wanted in general.

I imagine any and all surviving First Generation Core's are basically worth killing and dying for, from what I gathered. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 12:07:27 AM »
The books were alive because of the thoughts of the authors poured into them.    The flyers in the book also seemed to have a very close emotional connection to their ships, especially the captain.  This lends the possibility that the ships gain "soul" from their crew -- and the ships with the longest crews and most devoted crews would thus have the most "life".

that in turn argues that famous ships are more dangerous for more reasons than elite crew. They ship itself might be more capable because it is more alive.   

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 12:12:06 AM »
Hmm. Raises some questions about the Itasca-- a ship that has been considered an elite appointment, one that is known to be very, very powerful.  I imagine the crew would have quite a bit of loyalty to that ship, which would feed into the core crystal, which would make it more likely to be successful, which would inspire more loyalty...yay for feedback loops!

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 06:08:02 PM »
Hmm. Raises some questions about the Itasca-- a ship that has been considered an elite appointment, one that is known to be very, very powerful.  I imagine the crew would have quite a bit of loyalty to that ship, which would feed into the core crystal, which would make it more likely to be successful, which would inspire more loyalty...yay for feedback loops!
Aha, but would the fact that Itasca has Three Core Crystals make it more or less prone to developing such a personality (assuming it's not unique to First Gen Cores)?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 06:42:25 PM »
the thing I am curious about is does the personality develop because of the ship or is it present upon creation and comes forward because of the life and crew on the ship. as to the multiple crystals could they all develop personalities and function as a group or does one come forth as a dominate?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 07:03:08 PM »
the thing I am curious about is does the personality develop because of the ship or is it present upon creation and comes forward because of the life and crew on the ship. as to the multiple crystals could they all develop personalities and function as a group or does one come forth as a dominate?
The book's only been out a week and already we are asking the Nature vs Nurture question regarding an Airship?   ;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 11:08:10 PM »
The book's only been out a week and already we are asking the Nature vs Nurture question regarding an Airship?   ;)
lol damn ::)..... it was just a curiosity born from what others started speculating on about the crystals an ships ;)..... not all my fault :P....

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
lol damn ::)..... it was just a curiosity born from what others started speculating on about the crystals an ships ;)..... not all my fault :P....
Hah, at least we havent tried to quantify the energy output of the crystals yet.  Though I think we are going in that direction over in the Airship Specs thread.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/