Author Topic: Does anyone else picture Folly as...  (Read 27778 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else picture Folly as...
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
From Pat Rothfuss's books.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 06:30:31 PM »
Ah, thanks  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline hydrorox

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 08:49:02 PM »
Captain Grimm reminds me more of Captain Lawrence from the Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik than Mal.

I disagree, Captain Lawrence is too uptight to be Grimm.
and besides the whole crew screams FireFly.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »
and besides the whole crew screams FireFly.
Except they had a Scotty instead of a Caylee.  :D Unless Gwen became Caylee...?   :o
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline stevesully

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 06:55:02 PM »
I like the Auri comparison best; don't see much of the Firefly references certainly NOT Mal for Grimm.  I'm REALLY not happy reading the first book of an upcoming series this soon.  I'm not patient and really wonder as to how long until next book comes out.  I started reading DF around book 11/12 so I had a good backlog to go through.  No such luck here.  Reading through these spoiler topics help better understand (probably not the right word) the book I just finished. 

Offline DGibb

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 08:05:30 PM »
Folly reminded me very clearly of Delirium from Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Just how she was quirky and had a very deliberate, yet conventionally odd dress method. I may have also merged my mental image with the picture of Molly from Splattercon! with the pink/blue hair.

Captain Grimm will forever be Colin O'Donoghue (pardon the spelling) from Once Upon a Time based on the cover art of the book.

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 11:04:23 PM »
I have to say Folly reminds me of River from Firefly more than Luna.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 02:28:11 AM »
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 02:39:48 AM »
That is SUPER awesome!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 03:46:09 AM »
I got a big "Auri" vibe from Folly.

She's a thin waif of a girl who is more knowledgeable/powerful than outside appearances indicate.

Also a strange way of talking and seemingly crippling social/communication issues.
count me in the "Auri" camp.

Am I the only one who saw Mrs. Cavendish as an evil Polgara from the Belgariad series? 

I also got a sense that the competence of the Guilds from Habble Landing were sort of what the Patrician was aspiring to achieve in Ankh-Morpork

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 03:40:04 AM »
I see more of Luna than River Tam in Folly, mostly because the Etherealists aren't actually insane, they just seem that way to people incapable of interacting directly with the Ether.  Yes, they have their "holes", but none of them have behaved erratically (yes, I'm including Ms. Cavendish, she's sadistic and evil, but very predictable).  You never knew when River would go off, I don't get the same vibe from Folly.   
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 02:15:38 AM »
I got a big "Auri" vibe from Folly.

She's a thin waif of a girl who is more knowledgeable/powerful than outside appearances indicate.

Also a strange way of talking and seemingly crippling social/communication issues.
I concur with the Auri vibe.

Am I the only one who saw Mrs. Cavendish as an evil Polgara from the Belgariad series? 
It's been millennia since I read that series, but I think I remember it enough to say that sounds close.  The vibe from both are similar, although I remember Polgara being levels higher than Cavendish, and almost sadly sympathetic by the end.  Cavendish doesn't seem likeable, and redemption seems unlikely.

Offline the_doc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 09:10:28 AM »
Auri is a secondary character from "The Kingkiller Chronicle" by Patrick Rothfuss.
She appears in "The Name of the Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" and she is the protagonist in "The Slow Regard of Silent Things".
Auri is very sweet, but she is crazy because of her contact with magic.

Offline Rygar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 10:00:15 PM »
Except they had a Scotty instead of a Caylee.  :D Unless Gwen became Caylee...?   :o

Their demeanors are worlds apart though. So even if she did take over Mr Journeyman at some point, I think Predator would likely just have a much more proper Scotty than a Kaylee.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:10 PM »
Their demeanors are worlds apart though. So even if she did take over Mr Journeyman at some point, I think Predator would likely just have a much more proper Scotty than a Kaylee.
Fair points.  She's Caylee in appearance only, and even then only when wearing overalls and grease. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain