Author Topic: Does anyone else picture Folly as...  (Read 27776 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Does anyone else picture Folly as...
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »
Does any one else have Luna Lovegood meandering through their imagination playing the role of Folly?  Here's a reaction to a particular line about her I wrote down when I read it.

(click to show/hide)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else picture Folly as...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 07:44:47 PM »
I got more of a River Tam vibe off of her.  Luna Lovegood is quirky.   River Tam is insane and dangerous, but well-meaning. 

Offline Dannyboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 04:26:05 AM »
I got more of a River Tam vibe off of her.  Luna Lovegood is quirky.   River Tam is insane and dangerous, but well-meaning.
This

Her need to speak indirectly to most people around her was pure genius.  Rowl is still my favorite PoV in the book.

Danny

Offline EdgeDS

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:16:37 PM »
Yes, I definitely thought of Luna a good bit whenever Folly came up.

Rowl is still my favorite PoV in the book.

I found it surprising after all the buildup, but the chapters from Rowl's POV were actually the ones I liked the least.  They were good, of course, but I found that I really preferred seeing the cats' interactions with humans when not from the perspective of the cat.  I think that I liked them being more inscrutable, which is easier to show from a different viewpoint.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »
I found it surprising after all the buildup, but the chapters from Rowl's POV were actually the ones I liked the least.  They were good, of course, but I found that I really preferred seeing the cats' interactions with humans when not from the perspective of the cat.  I think that I liked them being more inscrutable, which is easier to show from a different viewpoint.

Hmmm, I think I can see your point.  Probably a lot of the enthusiasm for the kitty PoV is a bit of a result of people who really love the novelty of such a PoV's interpretation of their own experiences with the fuzzballs they love.  Makes me wonder if too much of it might result in a collying sweetness for those readers.

I think I communicated that right...
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »
This was my first thought as well, but then Ive been subconsciously measuring each new character against the Serenity Crew-members from the get-go.  Still no Doctor, and we have a Scotty instead of a Caylee

(Im only about half-way through.  Damn you Real World and your constant demands that I keep Adulting!)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »
Captain Grimm reminds me more of Captain Lawrence from the Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik than Mal. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »
I have barely began the book (and so far I am loving it)  so I will stay away of this spoiler section, but as I've seen the name of this thread, I needed to come to say
(click to show/hide)

Oh, I'll drop a few early reactions here. I don't need them answered because I will read the book, I just wanted to say my initial wonderings.
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 03:17:17 PM »
Oh, I'll drop a few early reactions here. I don't need them answered because I will read the book, I just wanted to say my initial wonderings.
(click to show/hide)
Im not done yet either, but there is a particular character that makes me believe the answer is No.  It doesnt preclude him being undiscriminating in the style of Captain Jack Harkness (Dr Who), though
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 04:21:02 PM »
Captain Grimm reminds me more of Captain Lawrence from the Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik than Mal.

Yeah, Mal is somewhat less-than-impressed with the idea of always being calm, collected and utterly unflappable in front of the crew.  Maybe Mal pre-Battle of Serenity, but I doubt it.  Captain Laurence has the advantage of commanding a similarly greater number of crew members than Mal, however, plus his 'ship' is very much sentient. (I don't think I've ever heard a better description of Temeraire than 'insouciant but understands the need for cooperation'...)

I'm torn between Folly as an Odiana (albeit a non-sadistically malicious one) and a River Tam-type.  They're both far more dangerous than they'd seem, and both a few rungs short of a ladder to  the point of needing to be guided about.

Rowl is Kitai or Doroga. From his very first lines he sounded like a Marat.  (Probably due to the Marat thinking more about the here-and-now than Alerans, just as the cats think more about the here-and-now than do the humans.)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »
Yeah, Mal is somewhat less-than-impressed with the idea of always being calm, collected and utterly unflappable in front of the crew.  Maybe Mal pre-Battle of Serenity, but I doubt it.  Captain Laurence has the advantage of commanding a similarly greater number of crew members than Mal, however, plus his 'ship' is very much sentient. (I don't think I've ever heard a better description of Temeraire than 'insouciant but understands the need for cooperation'...)
True, but that is more the genre difference I think; the Space-western vs the victorian steampunk.  Mal also does not know down to the second how long it takes a cup of tea to cool to proper drinking temperature. Strip away those style trappings and I think they are pretty darn close
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Thana†os

• Participant
  • "You get what everyone gets...you get a lifetime."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 06:55:18 PM »
I have barely began the book (and so far I am loving it)  so I will stay away of this spoiler section, but as I've seen the name of this thread, I needed to come to say
(click to show/hide)

Totally this - exactly what I saw and read.
"You're just jealous because the Voices speak to me!"

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 11:08:29 PM »
I am not surprised (because of the text under your pic)  :D
I am glad I am not the only one.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline cornyphil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 04:40:59 AM »
I got a big "Auri" vibe from Folly.

She's a thin waif of a girl who is more knowledgeable/powerful than outside appearances indicate.

Also a strange way of talking and seemingly crippling social/communication issues.
One does not simply "parkour".  One shouts it aloud as one performs the act!  PARKOUR!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 04:59:21 AM »
Who is Auri?
Missing you, Md