Author Topic: Well Done  (Read 14408 times)

Offline Hillmd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Well Done
« on: September 30, 2015, 05:10:42 AM »
Loved it. Good storytelling JB.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.~ Ayn Rand

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
Re: Well Done
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
Fished the book  yesterday
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline dimumurray

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 01:19:16 AM »
Well...that was quite the enjoyable read! Looking forward to the next one.

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 06:44:38 PM »
Just getting started, but already loving it :)

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:21:19 PM »
awesome book....
 ok that took me 9hrs an 22 mins...

GIMME MORE!!!!!!   ;D

(that fix should hold me till next DF....)
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline llwaynest

• Conversationalist
  • Major General Toot Toot Minimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 11:24:16 AM »
HUZZAH! What a fun ride. Well worth the wait.
"I would rather be drunk than eaten"
Master Ferus

Offline Thana†os

• Participant
  • "You get what everyone gets...you get a lifetime."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »
Just finished it last night. I'm ready for the second book now...go on, you can release it :)

Awesome world - it reminds me of a mash up of a few D&D worlds I can think of. After reading it, I now want to play D&D lol.

Great story - It was fun and action packed and despite it being about the beginnings of a war, it wasn't overly grim n' gritty. Yay!

PoV Changes - normally I'm not a big fan of this, because authors often stay too long in one, but I felt these were perfectly paced.

Overall - Home run - well done :)

Thanks for all the hours of enjoyment.
"You're just jealous because the Voices speak to me!"

Offline 2,176,847

• Participant
  • "Polka will never die!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 10:16:36 PM »
Agree, so far I think it's quite well done as well. I was mildly concerned as this is my first non-Dresden Files Jim Butcher read but 200 pages in and I'm loving it.

Kudos, cheers, hip hip hoorays and so forth.
"I'm no philosopher, Harry, but here's something for you to think about, at least. What goes around comes around. And sometimes you get what comes around. And, sometimes you are what's coming around." -Michael Carpenter

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 01:24:24 AM »
Can't say this is what I expected in steam punk...but I'm not really sure what I expected in that.

I am absolutely loving this book.  About halfway through, but has already become a re-read for me.  Gotta see what I can pick up a second stroll through.

Offline 2,176,847

• Participant
  • "Polka will never die!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 02:34:34 AM »
Can't say this is what I expected in steam punk...but I'm not really sure what I expected in that.

I am absolutely loving this book.  About halfway through, but has already become a re-read for me.  Gotta see what I can pick up a second stroll through.

Yup.  ;D

All Jim's books since SN are must re-reads to me. First read is all Id, ego and super-ego hide in closet while id chases the tornado saying things like "holy-cow, which way is it going next, LOOK OUT, go go go, this is the biggest one yet". The second read happens in a nice safe space where all the data can be processed.
"I'm no philosopher, Harry, but here's something for you to think about, at least. What goes around comes around. And sometimes you get what comes around. And, sometimes you are what's coming around." -Michael Carpenter

Offline Dawnmist

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 04:08:35 AM »
Let me add my kudos here...I devoured the book the day it was out.  Loved the new world, the cast of characters and the nice tease on the story "big bad".  I am very much looking forward to the next installment.  Well done, Mr. Butcher! :D

Offline FrankyMcShanky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 03:57:27 AM »
I enjoyed it a lot.  Finished it in two days and now I'm listening to the audio book.  I don't know why but it really reminds me a lot of Codex Alera.

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 04:15:18 AM »
I enjoyed it a lot.  Finished it in two days and now I'm listening to the audio book.  I don't know why but it really reminds me a lot of Codex Alera.
Hmmm.  Making me think about it again.  Steampunk isn't really my thing.  If it had been written by another author, I never would have given it a thought in the first place.  And I'm not really in a good head space right now to start something new.  But I loved Codex Alera, so that's a little tip to the scales in favor.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline FrankyMcShanky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 04:19:25 AM »
Hmmm.  Making me think about it again.  Steampunk isn't really my thing.  If it had been written by another author, I never would have given it a thought in the first place.  And I'm not really in a good head space right now to start something new.  But I loved Codex Alera, so that's a little tip to the scales in favor.

I don't really see the steam punk in Cinder Spires at all the be honest.  It's just.... British.

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 03:28:39 AM »
Well, the one ship had a steam engine and that one guy that pushed for the duel was a punk, so.... :p