Author Topic: Starting a topic causes errors in my browser  (Read 6048 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Starting a topic causes errors in my browser
« on: September 23, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »
Ok, I'm pretty sure that this has been happening to me for a while now, but since I don't do start topics very often, I didn't exactly realize there was a problem.

Starting a topic causes my browser to have some kind of error where the parent forum doesn't reload afterwords.  There have been occasions where I refreshed a minute or two later and somehow this caused a double post of the topic.  At least one of these was when I used the admin power to move a topic and ended up with two move announcement topics being generated. 

One of the places I browse from generates the following error (with some additional info that I don't think applies)

Network Error   

tcp_error  

Exception:   A communication error occurred: ""

Cause:    The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.   
HTTP Error Code:   503   
Primary Contact:     Click here for additional guidance and procedures for requesting access to blocked content.   

I did some tests in the curator section to see if this repeats, and to capture the above message since I had closed the tab it had happened to me on earlier.  One of the tests showed that when I generate a topic from my iPhone, I don't get the above message, I just get a blank page.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a topic causes errors in my browser
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 03:50:35 PM »
When I start a topic with a picture in the first post (as it happens with most birthday threads) always happens that the post is "being upload" forever. I mean, it never ends, so after a minute or so I leave the "posting window" and sure enough, the post is there. But then, I have to go "see" it a couple of times before it stops being labeled as "new".

I don't know if it's related with your problem, I only add my 2 cents
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

wizard nelson

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:23:03 PM »
Mine messes up whenever I have posted one for awhile actually, I just always assumed it was on my side... More disconcerting I was modifying a post just now and my screen jumped to top and erased everything I had added *sigh* set me back an hours work....

Offline mattig89ch

• Conversationalist
  • Sharp as a Marble! Black as a Marshmallow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 12:33:51 AM »
I've actually had errors when I post as well.

I get 404 errors, or just blank pages after I click the post button.

Typically I just refresh the page, and the topic/post I just made is there.  But it is a might anoying to have to wait for the error, hit the refresh page, then check the sub forum to see if the thread was posted.

Its not paranoia, its common sense.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »
When I start a topic with a picture in the first post (as it happens with most birthday threads) always happens that the post is "being upload" forever. I mean, it never ends, so after a minute or so I leave the "posting window" and sure enough, the post is there. But then, I have to go "see" it a couple of times before it stops being labeled as "new".

I don't know if it's related with your problem, I only add my 2 cents
I get this same behavior.  Ive just gotten in the habit of going to the bathroom or something after I post a new thread, letting it spin its wheels for a bit, then close the tab and check the main index.  Sure enough it's always been posted, but it never actually figures it out in original window
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 09:21:43 PM »
I get this same behavior.  Ive just gotten in the habit of going to the bathroom or something after I post a new thread, letting it spin its wheels for a bit, then close the tab and check the main index.  Sure enough it's always been posted, but it never actually figures it out in original window

You can actually see it basically immediately. Any new topic I make has never loaded on the initial page, not once. But open up another tab and go to the board, sure enough its right there. Doesn't even take minutes, I could hit post, refresh the second tab and it would be there. I always leave the initial tab open just in case but this has been going on since the first topic I ever made.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:36:03 PM »
OK, interesting.  What browser is everyone using?  I'm use Firefox almost exclusively when Im here, though occasionally it will be via Chrome. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline mattig89ch

• Conversationalist
  • Sharp as a Marble! Black as a Marshmallow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 10:17:43 PM »
I'm using firefox 40.0.3

Its not paranoia, its common sense.

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 10:21:38 PM »
OK, interesting.  What browser is everyone using?  I'm use Firefox almost exclusively when Im here, though occasionally it will be via Chrome.

I.E. for a long time, then Firefox. Happens on both.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

wizard nelson

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 10:30:28 PM »
I.E. for a long time, then Firefox. Happens on both.
Foxfire, Google Chrome and E explorer that I can directly recall all do the same thing.... interestingly I'd swear way back in 2013 when I first joined, that it didn't have this problem...?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 10:35:59 PM »
Foxfire, Google Chrome and E explorer that I can directly recall all do the same thing.... interestingly I'd swear way back in 2013 when I first joined, that it didn't have this problem...?
I think you are right, but then I dont post new threads too often.  And thats long enough it could be in the site code, or it could be some random update to Java or some such underlying bit that is hanging it up. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »
I am using Chrome now.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Sibelis

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
So, from the perspective of a new profile, this freezing up on the posting screen despite hitting post and the thread taking the message is happening almost every time I try to post. Not new threads but just posts... Idk maybe my systems jumpy right now I'll let you know if it doesn't stop eventually.
*It stopped apparently.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:51:52 PM by Sibelis »

Sibelis

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 11:29:34 PM »
@ Iago, thanks whatever you did mr wizard. Uhh ip you can ignore that last email.

Jaken

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 11:08:11 PM »
Huh....? It worked...