Author Topic: Cinder Spires Airship Specs So Far  (Read 18559 times)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Cinder Spires Airship Specs So Far
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »
just to be clear: when you say "need some tech" do you mean "Human's Residents would need some technical knowledge"?

I'm saying that if the residents technical knowledge ever went down to dark age (or pre-roman) levels, they would never make it back up.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2015, 03:37:45 PM »
I'm saying that if the residents technical knowledge ever went down to dark age (or pre-roman) levels, they would never make it back up.
Precisely.  They might make advances of their own (ie crystal tech) but the Spires themselves will be "winding down" and eventually, inevitably fail....

If The Enemy doesnt bring them down first.  *cue ominous music*
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
Precisely.  They might make advances of their own (ie crystal tech) but the Spires themselves will be "winding down" and eventually, inevitably fail....

If The Enemy doesnt bring them down first.  *cue ominous music*

It's more than just the "Enemy".  Unless we believe that the entire Auroran high command has been Nfected (for the lack of a better word), then there has to be a reasonable military reason why they were willing to spend so much to burn the library.  Consider that they only sent ~25 men to destroy the main crystal vattery which could have crippled Albion's fleet, while they were willing to spend 450 men to make sure the library burns completely to the ground.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
It's more than just the "Enemy".  Unless we believe that the entire Auroran high command has been Nfected (for the lack of a better word), then there has to be a reasonable military reason why they were willing to spend so much to burn the library.  Consider that they only sent ~25 men to destroy the main crystal vattery which could have crippled Albion's fleet, while they were willing to spend 450 men to make sure the library burns completely to the ground.
Are we sure those plans were formed by Auroran High Command and not Cavendish?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »

The major in charge of the marines talks about getting a promotion and how killing Cavendish would look bad back home.  Also, combined with the destroyer attack, it's pretty obvious that the attack was well planned out and sanctioned by the high command.  I suppose it's possible that Cavendish convinced them of the importance of that one book, but I would think that a more concrete advantage would be something more understandable by the rank and file.
DV Geek code:

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »
The major in charge of the marines talks about getting a promotion and how killing Cavendish would look bad back home.  Also, combined with the destroyer attack, it's pretty obvious that the attack was well planned out and sanctioned by the high command. I suppose it's possible that Cavendish convinced them of the importance of that one book, but I would think that a more concrete advantage would be something more understandable by the rank and file.
That was where I was going with it: that it's possible that she convinced them of the tactical advantage of burning the library without actually revealing the value (or goal) of that particular text.  It could go either way, if the Spirearch is aware of it there's no reason to think the opposing leadership might not as well. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2015, 06:45:45 PM »
That was where I was going with it: that it's possible that she convinced them of the tactical advantage of burning the library without actually revealing the value (or goal) of that particular text.  It could go either way, if the Spirearch is aware of it there's no reason to think the opposing leadership might not as well.

Yes.

Of course, the Spirearch is an etheriaslist himself (and one of the dangerous ones apparently), so he might have a leg up on the opposition.
DV Geek code:

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2015, 07:02:36 PM »
Yes.

Of course, the Spirearch is an etheriaslist himself (and one of the dangerous ones apparently), so he might have a leg up on the opposition.
Where did we find out that the spirearch is an etherealist?  It seems a little reckless to make the head of your government subject to the compulsions of an etherealist no matter how much of a figurehead he is.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2015, 09:14:43 PM »
Where did we find out that the spirearch is an etherealist?  It seems a little reckless to make the head of your government subject to the compulsions of an etherealist no matter how much of a figurehead he is.

Pretty sure I saw that claim when he first assembles the team.  Note also that Cavendish seems to refers to him ("that spider") as if he had powers. 
DV Geek code:

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2015, 10:29:05 PM »
Pretty sure I saw that claim when he first assembles the team.  Note also that Cavendish seems to refers to him ("that spider") as if he had powers.
I took spider as him sitting in the center of an information network.  I still doubt he's an actual etherealist.  He doesn't have any obvious compulsions, which according to Jim is a sign of real danger.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »

Not anywhere that I can find, and Ive been looking ever since that theory started circulating. And it would make him by far the most frightening and most dangerous character so far, because it would mean he has the Buried Crazy. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »
Not anywhere that I can find, and Ive been looking ever since that theory started circulating. And it would make him by far the most frightening and most dangerous character so far, because it would mean he has the Buried Crazy.

Yeah, I was just looking for it again myself but couldn't find it.  It would kinda fit with everything else we've seen about him, and yes, it would make him one of the "dangerous ones".
DV Geek code:

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »

I view the plans to burn that Library as being from the Enemy and not simply Cavendish or Aurora.  It puts more significant on the soul of the library and the Names within the Index.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2015, 08:16:33 PM »
Yeah, I was just looking for it again myself but couldn't find it.  It would kinda fit with everything else we've seen about him, and yes, it would make him one of the "dangerous ones".
What do you see it fitting?  Because I havent been able to figure out where that hope is coming from at all.  Im guessing there is more to it than an extension of the the traditional "Everybody needs to have Jedi powers, even Han, because characters cant be interesting without it."
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2015, 02:47:45 AM »
What do you see it fitting?  Because I havent been able to figure out where that hope is coming from at all.  Im guessing there is more to it than an extension of the the traditional "Everybody needs to have Jedi powers, even Han, because characters cant be interesting without it."

It's not a hope (frankly I agree with your sentiment), merely a feeling based on some of his intereactions.  All of this is circumstantial of course but:

1) He is definetly trying to hide his full competence, and it shows.   You've got him feigning to be a nobody in the shop, pretending he doesn't know what trim crystal are,  pretending not to care about politics, etc.   So what are his full capabilities?  We'll find out.

2) There's the quote from Cavendish (though I'll admit it can be read in different ways).

3) Maybe it's just me, but his manner of speaking is very similar to Ferus during his lucid moments.  Though maybe that's just the "scholarly voice" coming through.

4) He's making big decisions (the supercrystal for the ship, the away team, warning the guilds in habble Landing) that seems to imply a certain amount of foresight .  Sure, he could merely be a very good planner, but the set of coincidences that created this win seem a little "future vision" type thing.  For example, what's with sending the Lancaster girl as "the smooth talker"?  His one interaction with her must have shown him that she's way less competent than she thinks she is.  It is arguable that Benedict would have done better with any of their interactions (the marines, the innkeeper, the potential ambush on the way to the inn).  And yet sending her coincidentally allows Predator to be fixed in time.  Very fortunate.

All in all there's nothing here conclusive, but it's a feeling I can't deny -- so much that I thought I saw a quote confirming it.
DV Geek code: