Author Topic: Cinder Spires Setting discussion [TAW Sample Chapter SPOILERS]  (Read 29901 times)

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
Re: Cinder Spires Setting discussion [TAW Sample Chapter SPOILERS]
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 03:31:53 AM »
That's just an American thing though.  One day they will realize that some traditions are not worth keeping.  :D
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 05:45:20 AM »
Probably, My Spanish speaker is slightly annoyed not only by English being the TAW world language (except for a Latin reference) but for the use of not-metric units.
I think the base language for the book is "Albion". Every habble has their own language.
There was a scene where someone cursed in auroran
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 05:49:11 AM by Brightbane »
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2015, 05:57:17 AM »
Yes, I think Auroran and Olympian have their own languages. You are right in that.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Tarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2015, 08:38:13 AM »
Yes, I think Auroran and Olympian have their own languages. You are right in that.
Given that Albion means Britain, it does make sense that they speak the English language and use Imperial units.  And if you think it's bad reading about a place that uses a lot of Imperial units, imagine living here. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:48:17 AM by Tarion »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »
That's just an American thing though.  One day they will realize that some traditions are not worth keeping.  :D
We keep trying to get rid of it every generation or so.  Turns out it's ridiculously expensive to switch 320 million people and especially 4.3 million kilometres worth of road-signs to a knew system.  Not to mention we hate and fear change, and are often more than willing to share that opinion in a loud and belligerent manner.   In the early 90's they tried teaching us youngsters only metric in school, hoping if they got the newer generation exposed to metric first, it would force the nation to shift as they aged.  But it didnt get wide enough support to accomplish anything.  At this point Im hoping the internet and the internationalzation of culture (combined with the US losing their throne as the science/tech leaders) will finally push it out of usage. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2015, 02:13:37 PM »
I more find it amusing that the United State was one of the biggest supporters and drivers of the precursor to SI, as well as a strong support in the early days of SI as well IIRC, yet is currently is one of three nations that holds onto the Imperial system.

I will admit that Imperial can be nice in small measurements for quick math (feet and inches being in base 12 makes for nice fractions).  After that though, it just falls apart.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
I will admit that Imperial can be nice in small measurements for quick math (feet and inches being in base 12 makes for nice fractions).  After that though, it just falls apart.

We should just switch to doing all math in base 12.  Everything will be simpler.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2015, 03:34:13 PM »
In that case, we would need to create two more numerical characters.  Part of the awkwardness of imperial is using a base 12 math system with a base 10 numerical system

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »
In that case, we would need to create two more numerical characters.  Part of the awkwardness of imperial is using a base 12 math system with a base 10 numerical system

We already have ABCDEF for hex, so it's not like it's completely new, and as you say, it would solve the imperial problem as well as making a lot of everyday calculations a lot simpler.  The fact is that base 10 is in general awkward to use, and we only have it because of the number of fingers we were born with.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »
True, but I think it is an easier to have a population that is at large not scientifically inclined to shift their measuring system to match their counting system, then the entire world to re calibrate their counting system and thus their measuring system.  I am not a very skilled pure mathematician, so I cannot say if switching from base 10 to base 12 would truly complicate our constants and established measurements.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2015, 04:56:13 PM »
I am not a very skilled pure mathematician, so I cannot say if switching from base 10 to base 12 would truly complicate our constants and established measurements.

Actually I don't think pure mathematician would care as much, since the stuff they deal with is almost entirely number system independent.  This is more about the fact that your average person will need to divide things into 3 more often than into 5.
DV Geek code:

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2015, 05:25:58 PM »
Actually I don't think pure mathematician would care as much, since the stuff they deal with is almost entirely number system independent.  This is more about the fact that your average person will need to divide things into 3 more often than into 5.

Numbers are just extra letters when everything is said and done  ;D

We could always go with the Babylonian route and use base 60. 
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »

Really? I don't think so

I just skip the parts with units I don't get, that's too technical for me and I don't want to bother. I am more or less familiar with feet because of RPG manuals and I've got an idea of pounds. Miles and inches, I just ignore them.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2015, 06:17:13 PM »
Really? I don't think so

I just skip the parts with units I don't get, that's too technical for me and I don't want to bother. I am more or less familiar with feet because of RPG manuals and I've got an idea of pounds. Miles and inches, I just ignore them.
Using a particular base usually only changes how numbers are expressed.  I don't know of any important results that depend on which base you use.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »
I agree with that, I disagree with the divide into 3 more than into 5.
Let's see, I concede the 24 hours of a day, or the 9 muses. But 60 minutes or second divide by 3 or 5 with no problem. 30 days for a month, again divide 3-5. Many things are seven. We also have 4 directions. Many things come in pairs. There are flowers with 5 based corolles and with 3 based one, so it's a tie here. I agree insects have 6 legs, so divide by 3. But other animals have numbers not based in 3 or 5.
Missing you, Md