Author Topic: So just what the heck is a Habble?  (Read 19105 times)

Offline kdx7214

• Participant
    • View Profile
So just what the heck is a Habble?
« on: September 12, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »
Okay, I've read my ARC and enjoyed it.  My ONLY question throughout the whole thing is wtf is a habble?  Google was no help, neither was an OED.  I'm assuming it's just a made-up word for a place to live, but it seems odd that JB would do something like that without reason.

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
Re: So just what the heck is a Habble?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »
Is it a typo for "hovel" then?
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 05:11:14 PM »
I would guess that habble is more than just a place to live.  The prologue takes place in Habble Morning, but the characters give it political weight as well.  Perhaps a habble is a major subsection of a Spire?
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:14:23 PM »
I want to say it's a play on habitat.  That's what I assumed in my reading of my own ARC.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 05:48:06 PM »
I want to say it's a play on habitat.  That's what I assumed in my reading of my own ARC.
I wouldn't doubt that it has some roots in that general vicinity.  Perhaps a portmanteau of habitat and rabble = place for the people to live?
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:03:40 PM »
Like the Gretna Green housing project in Chicago, from the Dresden novels?
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Eami

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 03:36:34 AM »
Halfway through the book I'm resonably a certain a habble is what they call a level (or floor, if it was a building) of the spire

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 07:53:44 PM »
I would guess that habble is more than just a place to live.  The prologue takes place in Habble Morning, but the characters give it political weight as well.  Perhaps a habble is a major subsection of a Spire?

Yah, I think this is correct.  I believe it's a unit of the spire's population, and if I remember correctly, it's the population living on one level of the spire.

I think it's a municipal/political unit as well.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 03:53:29 AM »
They're physically (and probably culturally and economically) separated political entities.  More like cities or greek polises than countries.  Maybe the closest analogue is the early days of the US (or current EU) where there is, technically, centralized leadership but in practice each unit governs itself mostly-independently.

Spoilering to be safe, but it's not anything beyond Serack's level of info.  No plot stuff.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 04:48:05 AM »
I was going in context of the original post.  Having actually read the sample chapters, I would never have thought of it as a typo.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 12:45:33 PM »
They're physically (and probably culturally and economically) separated political entities.  More like cities or greek polises than countries.  Maybe the closest analogue is the early days of the US (or current EU) where there is, technically, centralized leadership but in practice each unit governs itself mostly-independently.

Spoilering to be safe, but it's not anything beyond Serack's level of info.  No plot stuff.
(click to show/hide)

Fun formatting tip:  If in the first part of the spoiler code you put "spoiler=not anything beyond Serack's level of info.  No plot stuff." the stuff after the "=" shows up in the spoiler button

(click to show/hide)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Josh_W

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 06:00:53 PM »
Habitat + Bubble ?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 08:14:44 PM »
OK, found a good reference.  A Habble is indeed a political distinction in the sense that it has a semi-autonomous government, and representation on the Spire Council and whatnot, but they are also geographic.  Each Habble is also a single layer of the Epire.  Each layer is a circular slice, with a square contained within.  Each square is where the living space is, while the leftover bits on the cardinal directions contain the tunnels and support machinery that makes the whole spire operate and support it's inhabitants.  There is also mention of a central spiraling stairs/ramp/walkway that each habble has rights an allotted percentage of the space/traffic, and that they charge a premium for any who use it. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 02:35:57 AM »
Per Jim at the signing tonight, a hobble is a level of a Spire.  Go up a ramp and get to the next hobble.  I recorded it this evening, but need to compress and upload.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »
Per Jim at the signing tonight, a hobble is a level of a Spire.  Go up a ramp and get to the next hobble.  I recorded it this evening, but need to compress and upload.
yup.  Well, except the one that was divided into two layers after the fact.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain