Author Topic: Looking for ideas for the grande finale.  (Read 1936 times)

Offline McNulty

• Participant
    • View Profile
Looking for ideas for the grande finale.
« on: August 19, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
Ok, the story I'm running is coming to an end soon and I due the improvised nature of the game, I've run myself into a bit of a cul de sac. Soo.. let's see if I can generate  some extra ideas for the grande finale with these parameters:

The big bad of the story is spiritmancer, with a plan to create a necropolis which she can rule over. We are the the point where her next step is poisoning lots of the city population with a specially made drug. My players have been investigating of course, but don't yet know who is behind the events, or why. They already had a showdown with a vampire who was working for the big bad, so I'm trying to think something else than just an attack to the Evil HQ.

Some open questions are:

• What sort of clues could I feed to my players without going all deus ex machina (they can be sometimes a bit oblivious)?
  • What would make an interesting finale, other than the classical Meet Evil & Fight Until She Dies?
  • How would a strong spiritmancer defend herself, or what kind of defences in general (like wards etc)?
  • What sort of novel applications for spiritmancy are there?

Thanks in advance!

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ideas for the grande finale.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 06:10:32 PM »
What sort of clues could I feed to my players without going all deus ex machina (they can be sometimes a bit oblivious)?

Well, they've been investigating, right? So, maybe they find a location or three that is most likely where the Bad Guys will deliver their poison. Is it through the water supply? Etc.

Could someone in the organization have a change of heart and flip? They might approach the PCs and give them some knowledge before the Bad Guys show up to take out the turncoat.

Some obscure bit of knowledge or some rumor makes the PCs stumble onto something. Maybe one of the PCs with Contacts hears about the theft of some shipment of strange "something"--that seems random to steal to the mundane, but someone In-The-Know might recognize it as an important ingredient in a magic poison potion.

Give the PCs the why--maybe they can backtrack to the who.

Just don't forget, your PCs skills are independent of the players' ability to use them to their fullest. By which I mean, if you've got someone rolling Intimidation to interrogate a suspect, the player doesn't necessarily have to ask all the right questions--the PC would know what to ask....what useful information they get should be based on the rolls. Don't force your players to be experts in things they're not.

What would make an interesting finale, other than the classical Meet Evil & Fight Until She Dies?

Add more obstacles. Make them make choices--save the cheerleader or go for the warlock and save thousands? Split up the PCs and put one group into a death-trap they have to get out of. Reveal a twist where a PC's ally was really with the Bad Guys the whole time! All of these are compels, of course.

Or my personal favorite: the Bad Guy isn't the actual Bad Guy. Who is the warlock working for? Because Mr. Boss is there too, ensuring the plan goes off right!

How would a strong spiritmancer defend herself, or what kind of defences in general (like wards etc)?
By "spiritmancy" I'm assuming you mean ectomancy or necromancy, given their plan? Ghost sentries, zombie guards, thralls, wards, supernatural guards, etc. Hi-tech traps? Etc.

Don't set them up alone against the PCs or you're going to have a short finale. Goons, goons, and more goons.

What sort of novel applications for spiritmancy are there?
Read the books. There's a lot of things shown there. Calling ghosts into yourself to make you stronger, faster, more skilled--that's my favorite use of ectomancy in the books.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:37:47 PM »
I've had this idea for a story hook for a more spirit centered game, but I haven't yet been able to put it to fruition. Maybe you can put it to some use here.
The basic idea is this: A wizard on the white council had a wife, they were happy, she got pregnant, she was hit by a car. She didn't make it and the wizard, devastated by this, turns to necromancy to keep his wife's body alive. The child is born, but the council gets wind of what's going on and kills the wizard. The girl, now orphaned is put into foster care. A few years later, say around the age we first see Ivy, she suddenly falls into a coma without warning. She just collapses and nobody knows why. Her body is kept alive in a hospital, but her spirit is floating around the city, more or less thinking she is dreaming. Due to her circumstances, she's got tremendous natural power over ghosts, and if she's close, anything dying creates a spirit that sort of follows her around. Which doesn't go too well for regular folk, if she's looking for her "kitty", and it turns out it's the mad spirit of the tiger that just died in the local zoo.

If the players find her, she could become quite a powerful and important ally to them in locating the spiritmancer.

What sort of clues could I feed to my players without going all deus ex machina (they can be sometimes a bit oblivious)?
Players usually are. And I'm saying that both from a player and a GM standpoint. As a player, I feel incredibly daft a lot of the time. Then again, as a GM, you know all those little connections and tend to overlook the things that are important to actually be able to get something.

That being said, the important thing to know here would be: what are your player characters? That could be important when it comes to the kinds of clues you can put in.

What would make an interesting finale, other than the classical Meet Evil & Fight Until She Dies?

How would a strong spiritmancer defend herself, or what kind of defences in general (like wards etc)?

Now when I think spiritmancer, I think ghosts, I think memories, I think soulgazes. One of the things I would have the spiritmancer have available as a defense would be some pretty nasty ghosts. I mean make Freddy Krueger flinch nasty. And then I'd send them inside the characters minds, forcing a soulgaze with that spirit onto them. They would basically be sucked into the spirits memories and be trapped in them, until they find their way out of it. You can do that a few times, as long as those spiritscapes are different enough. Though more than 3 times is probably going to become boring. You don't need any extra rules, either. Just treat everything as if it was reality. It's especially nasty if wounds translate to the real world.

If you have one of your players who you know can pull it off and would like it, have their character possessed by a spirit and let them act against the group. Nothing like a good exorcism to add in some nice drama.

After a buildup with these kinds of things, you can easily have the fight against the spiritmancer be fairly anticlimactic. In the physical realm, her powers are useless.

What sort of novel applications for spiritmancy are there?
Well, some applications are described above. I would probably have her set up everything in advance, since the real powerful stuff just takes time. And she's probably not too kindly to spirits, so they won't just work for her unless bullied into it.

Now if you want to have a bit of a freaky fight in the end, how about this: She's bound tons of ghosts to her stronghold. But not in one piece, she's ripped them to shreds, small enough to not have any individuality but big enough to hold a lot of power. She's got so many of them there, that the nevernever is bleeding into reality. She's basically got the "demesne" power in that place, because she controls those ghosts, so she controls the nevernever that bleeds over. I would probably have her pull from the former ghosts' demesnes, just to have a theme going through, but anything is doable here, really.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 02:16:21 AM »

The vampire tells the players everything when they interrogate it, maybe after some dice-rolling.

A minion makes a mistake distributing the drug, and the players are able to follow them back home.

Whatever lead they're currently following turns out to be incredibly fruitful.

She flees into the Nevernever, and the players have to chase her through some horrible hellscape.

People start dying from the drug, and the public freaks out. Rioting in the streets! Defeating the villain might be easier than restoring order...

When the players get past all of her defences, she reveals that she has a horrible spirit-monster sealed in a glass jar. If they don't let her go, she'll smash it and the entire city will be in deep trouble. The final battle is social, not physical, as the players try to convince her to give up and she tries to threaten them into letting her escape.

Offline McNulty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 11:13:31 AM »
Golden stuff here, thanks everyone. For those interested, the group contains following PCs:

Focused practitioner: Geomancer
Focused practitioner: Crafter
Emissary of power: Basically emissary of the river that runs through the city, but in reality a bit more complicated
Were-Crow
Revenant (basically undead)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 01:07:31 AM »
She flees into the Nevernever, and the players have to chase her through some horrible hellscape.

oooooh...
She's already GOT her necropolis... it's in the Nevernever.

She's working to make more and more of it align with the PC's city, and when she gets enough dead, she can sort of thin-the-veil throughout the city and make it and her Nevernever-stronghold merge...