Author Topic: Request a purge of sticky threads  (Read 8423 times)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Request a purge of sticky threads
« on: September 03, 2015, 04:30:13 PM »
The issue was brought up in the DF Spoilers forum, but it was suggested that this would be a more appropriate place for it.

I (and others) have noticed that there are a LOT of sticky threads that just hang out forever, even, literally, years after the last person posted in them  (and often the post is a request to unsticky it).  So far two were removed, but I think there's still several threads that could be trimmed.

For example, in the DF spoilers, there's a thread specifically for saying it's Spoilers OK and that it's an On Topic board, which could probably be combined into one general rules thread?  And maybe Early Spoiler Rules, since the thread we have now is for Ghost Story, about which there's nothing early.

Likewise, the Skin Game Predictathon is outdated, and even locked, so I suppose that's just here for bragging rights now?

Also, it was mentioned that the Book Club subforums are fairly dead as well, and we don't even have one for the most recent book.

My suggestion would be to have four sticky threads (and this is DF Spoilers specific, other forums would be different); a combined "Rules" thread, a "request help finding topics" thread, an Interview thread for all the media and publicity stuff Jim does, and a general clearinghouse of questions to ask.  And maybe not even that last one, since it was last used over a year ago.

And then just the DF Reference subforum, and remove/archive the book club ones.

Thank you.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Request a purge of sticky threads
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »
Likewise, the Skin Game Predictathon is outdated, and even locked, so I suppose that's just here for bragging rights now?

Oh, hey that one is a curator's preview.  I just tapped knnn's shoulder. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 07:24:44 PM »
On another note, the as a curator, I have the perspective that the mod crew, in the long term, has done a lot of work on things along this nature, and eventually coasts along and stickies and stuff end up getting inertia that can be difficult to overcome. 

It's hard to believe that it was over 3 years ago that I took note that the FAQ section was practically necrotic, and proposed the DFRC as a new, more dynamic (but very deliberately not as dynamic as the spoilers section) resource.

Since then, it's been hard to summon the energy to do the serious revamp that would be necessary to get the "WoJ compilation" updated to the standard I set back in 2011.  Such an effort would probably require more than the 100+ hours put into it thus far.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

wizard nelson

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »
Since then, it's been hard to summon the energy to do the serious revamp that would be necessary to get the "WoJ compilation" updated to the standard I set back in 2011.  Such an effort would probably require more than the 100+ hours put into it thus far.
this has been long in waiting, being the dresdenite that I am, if you told me what to do, like say collect all Woj on Mac into singular post and post it in a specific spot, then you could simply copy and past it to your own organized threads. I could offer a few hours one day a week at least. Which is more time than has been spent on it overall recently. Not that I'm blaming anyone, RL is a busy place full of important moments.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
On another note, the as a curator, I have the perspective that the mod crew, in the long term, has done a lot of work on things along this nature, and eventually coasts along and stickies and stuff end up getting inertia that can be difficult to overcome. 

It's hard to believe that it was over 3 years ago that I took note that the FAQ section was practically necrotic, and proposed the DFRC as a new, more dynamic (but very deliberately not as dynamic as the spoilers section) resource.

Yeah.  I'm hoping that it's simpler to unsticky stuff than do the major overhaul that some of the more elaborate projects would require.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 03:27:32 AM »
But I love sticky threads! Are they so bad? I love that the SG predictions thread is there... Predictions are awesome. I wished my GS prediction that
(click to show/hide)
would be sticky  :P And I would love to add my WAGs (Like
(click to show/hide)

Edited because WN feels it was the right thing to do.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:25:38 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

wizard nelson

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 04:59:01 AM »
Hey, spoiler tag that last part Dina. And yea I wag that too  ;)

*you spoil tagged GS plot but not potential future plot....?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 05:10:51 AM »
Eh...yes? Because one thing is speculation. I don't think I need to spoiler that and the only reference is to SK. I bet people coming here has already read it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:24:35 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 05:22:37 AM »
But I love sticky threads! Are they so bad? I love that the SG predictions thread is there... Predictions are awesome. I wished my GS prediction that
(click to show/hide)
would be sticky  :P And I would love to add my WAGs (Like Mab asking Harry to kill her as his final favor)
Predictions are awesome, but they're also outdated and at this point, nobody is actually doing anything with them.  So they only serve to take up screen real estate, and be a nuisance.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 05:26:11 AM »
I disagree. It's fun to read and see what people thought.
Missing you, Md 

wizard nelson

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 05:33:48 AM »
*puts hand to face* well that ended up being pointless for the moment....

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 05:37:44 AM »
I disagree. It's fun to read and see what people thought.
I'm not saying we delete them, just unstick them.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 05:46:21 AM »
Un unsticky thread would be deleted by the time, so it would be the same.
I agree about unstick other threads but speculations are fun to keep.
Missing you, Md 

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 06:09:48 AM »
And for how long do we keep speculation/prediction threads stickied?  Because we've got a dozen or so books still to go.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 06:12:17 AM »
I would leave them for ever (of course, closed, so they don't keep growing). And I think not. And I think we only have 8 books to go?
Missing you, Md