Author Topic: Chapter 1  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline ITheHellAmFan

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »
I like it so far.  I'm really digging the way it unashamedly revels in the ludicrousness of Steam Punk and Airships without devolving into winking at the reader or loosing a sense of real excitement and tension (not that I expected anything less from Jim, but still it should be said).  The sense of anticipation as:
(click to show/hide)

Spoilers may not have been necessary there, but I figured better safe than sorry.
"I will not treat your dusty path and flat,
Denoting this and that by this and that,
Your world immutable wherein no part
the little maker has with maker's art."
-Mythopoeia, J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Radhil

• Conversationalist
  • Part-Time Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:23:47 PM »
I admit I was holding back a few snickers when I read 'Captain Grimm' in the blurb text.

Now that I'm reading it, my brain went, "OK, Demos jumped ship from Alera and has his own book now, I'm cool with that."
Radhil Trebors
Persona Under Construction

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
Oh God, I couldn't get throught the first line. Why those names, whyyyyy?  :o

Seriously, I will wait for the book. I don't feel like reading the samples right now, not with that beginning.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
Seriously, I will wait for the book. I don't feel like reading the samples right now, not with that beginning.
All the characters in the story are full of awesome, the one with the name you object to included.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
I am sure about that. Jim characters are awesome. That is irrelevant for my feeling about the name.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 08:16:03 PM »

Actually, I was going to say that I felt the same way (and ditto when trying to listen to Jim read the sample chapters a while back).  I'm not sure where this is coming from, since I would have expected to be really hyped for the new series.

I think it's a combination of feeling a little overwhelmed by all the new terminology all at once and the oblique "Victorian" speaking style.  I get that it places us in the action all at once and helps give that steampunk flavor, but I know that I'm going to have to go back and read the first chapters again once I get ~halfway into the book so I can understand what everything meant.  It just feels like a bit too much work to figure out everything right now.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html