Author Topic: Beta Readers  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Blaise Corvin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad page
Beta Readers
« on: August 30, 2015, 02:08:18 AM »
Question:  How were some of you able to to get beta readers?

I feel like after I publish my first novel it won't be much of a problem, but right now I'm struggling to get feedback.  Of my group of friends, only a portion really read much and of this number, only a fraction are comfortable giving critiques.

Then of this number, a tiny number of them have the time or inclination to read an unfinished work.

So what did you all do/are doing?  Should I just give up on beta readers until I actually get something published?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:10:34 AM by Blaise Corvin »
Look hard for the looking place

Offline Farmerbob1

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Beta Readers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:18:04 AM »
A lack of beta readers is one reason why I started with blog fiction.  Most of the responses I get are grammar and spelling related, but there have been some very useful comments on other aspects as well. 

Offline Blaise Corvin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad page
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:20:12 AM »
What do you mean by blog fiction?  I am posting my rough draft on wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/44462558-the-crimson-artifice)- is this what you are talking about?

So far I haven't been impressed with this method of exposure.  At least, it seems to be difficult to garner any attention without years of previous exposure.  I was inspired by the success of a writer on wattpad who was signed to a major publisher after getting millions of views to his story, but he had been on there for a while previously writing fanfics.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:22:50 AM by Blaise Corvin »

Offline Farmerbob1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 08:53:34 PM »
What do you mean by blog fiction?  I am posting my rough draft on wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/44462558-the-crimson-artifice)- is this what you are talking about?

So far I haven't been impressed with this method of exposure.  At least, it seems to be difficult to garner any attention without years of previous exposure.  I was inspired by the success of a writer on wattpad who was signed to a major publisher after getting millions of views to his story, but he had been on there for a while previously writing fanfics.

I use Wordpress myself.  Never heard of Wattpad.  When I attempted to start reading your story, it tried to make me sign in.  I couldn't read beyond your introduction without signing in.  This means I'm not reading it.  Maybe that's just me, but I don't think so.

Here's where my most recent project is, if you want to see the sorts of comments I'm getting:  https://setinstonestory.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/chapter-01/

You can also see that not all fiction sites are the same, because I have ALSO been posting the story here:
http://royalroadl.com/fiction/1246

Royalroad has a lot of readers, but the audience is more focused on light novel styles, reincarnation, and protagonists-in-a-game fiction.  I get very, very few useful comments from there, though the readership numbers are not terrible.  Also, once you drop off the top pages of recent posts, unless you have a large following already, the readers don't find me often.  They are searching by tags, and my work doesn't have the tags they want to read.

Something like Jukepop might be interesting.  I am looking at that for my next project, since Wordpress is doing horrid things with their backend.  I plan on writing at least one more project as blogfiction before translating it as an e-book.  After that, I might start poking some of my most vocal readers and seeing if they want to do beta reading for me.

I am not certain how Jim feels about Baen's Bar.  Yes, that Baen.  Their official forum.  You can post whatever you want in their generic slush pile, and people will read and comment on it.  One chapter at a time, or perhaps a short story all at once.  I won't link it.  You can find it easily enough.  Just remember to put it in the generic slush pile.  Also remember that the slush pile ONLY contains content.  Every slush pile has a paired thread for comments on the contents of the slush pile.  You post a chapter in the slush pile thread, and then post a request for review and any specific requests you have in the slush pile comment thread.  Clearly naming the thread posts the same is a good idea "My Story Chapter 1" in both threads, is best.

Offline Blaise Corvin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Wattpad page
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:27:05 AM »
Hmmm...

I'm starting a wordpress blog for reviews.  Perhaps I can point people to my work on the side.  Thank you for the ideas! :)

Offline JLZenor

• Lurker
  • Author of Rite of Passage and Guardian.
    • View Profile
    • J.L. Zenor, Author
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »
Find a good writing group. One that is a critique group, sure, but also look for the less structured ones where people just get together and write. If you can't find one, then start joining in on NaNoWriMo events around your city, since November is just around the corner. Make contacts, talk to people, find others who will trade works with you. They need beta readers too.  8)
In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.

Forum for new Writers

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 01:53:43 AM »
Yeah I started out on bar.baen.  Don't use them much anymore but they're alright.  I know Chris Nuttal puts all his books up there for review/critique/grammar check before publishing.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)