Author Topic: Rune Wizard Idea.  (Read 2080 times)

Offline JohnDKBalman

• Participant
    • View Profile
Rune Wizard Idea.
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:46:08 AM »
So my thought was to have Wizard that can't do much with evocation ( can lights candles if need be but that's about it on flash magic).

Instead he focuses on runes.
His spells can be powerfull but they can take time to setup.(i'm thinking spell-casting like executing programs).

most his skill focuses on creating enchanted items for battle ( aspect : be prepared is a creed).

He could also have certain rune arrays on his body for strength and healing ( as need with certain costs)

I feel this could sagway in to a fullmetal alchemist type combat(more Al style)

any ideas or contest

Offline Cyberchihuahua

• Conversationalist
  • Lft. WMC_Cyberchihuahua
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Wizard Idea.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:22:05 AM »
Mechanically it would be as simple as focusing on Thaumaturgy and potions, (runes). If you have focus items, those could be your tattoos, or a bag of rune stone. You could also have an aspect involving your runes specifically, so you can always have an easy tag based on your theme.

Did you have a theme, like FMA or a variation it that anime? Also, will you be using an existing set of runes, on an invented one?

Your comment on programming gave me the thought of some young computer geek from the currant generation, immersed in computers and social media from the time they could talk. Then BAM! Puberty and their powers hit, and they lose it all. But their powers are affected by the way they grew up. Casting spells by writing the effect out on a keyboard, spells written in programming languages, (indecipherable to other wizards).
Moo!

DV Cyberchihuahua V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP++ JB- TH+ WG++ CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH [Murphy++]   currently...

No Changes, know peace! Know Changes, no peace!

Offline JohnDKBalman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 07:40:18 AM »
Mechanically it would be as simple as focusing on Thaumaturgy and potions, (runes). If you have focus items, those could be your tattoos, or a bag of rune stone. You could also have an aspect involving your runes specifically, so you can always have an easy tag based on your theme.

Did you have a theme, like FMA or a variation it that anime? Also, will you be using an existing set of runes, on an invented one?

Your comment on programming gave me the thought of some young computer geek from the currant generation, immersed in computers and social media from the time they could talk. Then BAM! Puberty and their powers hit, and they lose it all. But their powers are affected by the way they grew up. Casting spells by writing the effect out on a keyboard, spells written in programming languages, (indecipherable to other wizards).

That's been one of my basic idea is computer/manga nerd all of suddenly loses direct access to technology but get magic... their for he tries to use magic like all the manga/computer he is read  or know.. The big problems i've ran into is is this how do i prevent him from breaking one of the laws and still learn the skills that way story wise. Even if he does brake the laws if he isn't apprentice he will still be looked at strangle by the council and all their traditions.

I do have another question that would effect my backstory is about the sight and soulgaze. When do wizards first get this abilities. is it when they fist unlock the powers or is after they ever reached certain level of magic ability....   

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:14:15 PM »
I have a major NPC in the game that's a Focused Practitioner that uses Rune Magic.  For the record, I'm inclined to believe that Rune Magic doesn't necessarily cause accidental hexing in that the runes themselves provide the power.  Otherwise, I see Rune Magic as mostly Enchanted Items and one-shot "potions" (Runes tiles) for her 'oomph..." but the Runes are going to mostly be for Thaumaturgic effect.

Still not sure if Runes qualify as 'Sponsored" magic; rather, I think the fact you can't perform evocation/evothaum is compensated by the lack of hexing.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
Sanctaphrax and I put together a Rune Magic sponsored magic that's more or less what you described -- no Evocation, all focus on crafting and Thaumaturgy. The hook with them is you could 'store' a full-blown thaumaturgy spell in a one-use rune.

RUNE MAGIC [-4]
Description: A long time ago, Odin stabbed himself with a spear and hanged himself from The World Tree as a sacrifice to himself. By doing so, he acquired the power of Rune Magic. Now Odin gives some of that runic power to his Valkyries, making them able to serve him better.
Sponsor: Rune Magic comes from Odin, greatest of the Aesir and master of runes.
Agenda: The agenda of Odin is not entirely clear, but it definitely includes making preparations for Ragnarok. Users of Rune Magic might be called upon to find new Einherjar for Odin's armies or to gather weapons for the final battle.
Evocation: Rune Magic does not provide any form of Evocation.
Thaumaturgy: Rune Magic rituals are mainly useful for divination, warding, and crafting. Some other effects might also be possible, but no Rune Magic effect may extend beyond the immediate proximity of the runes used to cast it.
Evothaum: Rune Magic does not grant the ability to use Thaumaturgy with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: A user of Rune Magic may create special Rune Items. Creating a Rune Item requires a ritual much like an ordinary thaumaturgical ritual, except that the caster spends an Enchanted Item slot for each exchange he spends casting the spell. If the ritual succeeds, the resulting Rune Item functions identically to a single-use potion containing the ritual's effect. In addition, Rune Magic users get a free specialization in Rune Magic complexity and gain the ability to read and write the secret language of runes. Finally, Rune Magic provides five focus slots instead of the regular four.
Note: The cost of Rune Magic is not reduced if the character taking it has Evocation. But if that character has Thaumaturgy, reduce the cost of Rune Magic and the number of focus slots it grants by one and two respectively.

Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:13:27 PM »
That's been one of my basic idea is computer/manga nerd all of suddenly loses direct access to technology but get magic... their for he tries to use magic like all the manga/computer he is read  or know.. The big problems i've ran into is is this how do i prevent him from breaking one of the laws and still learn the skills that way story wise. Even if he does brake the laws if he isn't apprentice he will still be looked at strangle by the council and all their traditions.

I do have another question that would effect my backstory is about the sight and soulgaze. When do wizards first get this abilities. is it when they fist unlock the powers or is after they ever reached certain level of magic ability....

...I'd have Luccio check up on him.  Tell him about the laws, and that she's watching him.  I'm inclined to think she'd be interested to see where his computer-code magic takes him.