Author Topic: trying to write the story arc still... need help  (Read 4390 times)

Offline paperclipkisses

• Lurker
    • View Profile
trying to write the story arc still... need help
« on: August 21, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
Hello,

I have gone back through all of Jim's live journal articles on how to get started (LOVE Them!), but here is my problem. I have written out tons of material, on every detail of the world, culture, different races, histories, and so on. Built a huge 3d model of the world. I even wrote a story a story question. However, my story takes place over 50,000 years...so the story question is really broad due to time. Do I need to admit that I really have a series in mind or can I somehow fit this all into 1 novel? Guess I could write out different story arcs and see if that answers my question?

Also, how does one get help or ask for help without sharing too much where the idea could be stolen? Any suggestions here?

I've had this story in my head for years, started working on it back in 2006. Stopped, now I have picked it back up and my head has kept adding too the story.

Thanx to anyone who responds.  :)

Offline Farmerbob1

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: trying to write the story arc still... need help
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 06:17:33 AM »
50,000 years is a lot of time skips unless the story is really, really long!

Is the lead immortal?  Perhaps a god?  Telling a bunch of stories about a god trying to keep up with humans as technology advances could be fun.

Deity: What is this stuff?
Human: We call it 'writing'
Deity: Hrm.  So what else has changed in the last few thousand years?
Human: Err, I'm not sure.  I've only been alive for twenty years.
Deity:  Follow me then, by good friend, it's time for adventure!  You can write what I do with these 'letters', right?
Human: Yes.  I can, but I need clay, and a fire to harden it after.

And so on, every couple thousand years.  :)

((yes, I know people couldn't write 50k years ago.  Neanderthals were still around that long ago ))

Offline paperclipkisses

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 05:40:05 AM »
Thanks, yeah I've been doing my research, cuneiform was created 12,000 years ago, I'm gonna work on the story arc some more

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
It's going to be a hell of a challenge to fit one novel over that time span, unless you have a cast of characters that can be present for it most/all of it, or else some less common and more creative way to tie it all together (reincarnation, generational links, time travel, magic rainbow ponies, etc).  I read one series (8 short books or so) where each book was the next generation from the last, and the whole story was a slow unfolding of an ancient prophesy that brought several warring bloodlines together. 

You sound like me in some respects; I really dig on the world-building aspects, but I tend to ave difficulty whittling down my worlds to an actual plot worth telling about characters that are interesting. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline paperclipkisses

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »
Thanks, yeah, there are several characters who are 50 + thousands of years old, tanks for all your help. :-)