Author Topic: Soulfire Power, -1 refresh?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Xelah

• Participant
    • View Profile
Soulfire Power, -1 refresh?
« on: July 31, 2015, 05:12:17 AM »
As I understand this, each rank of this works like normal refinement in that it gives a power boost to spells, but also adds a stress box to the soul track.  Is this accurate or am I missing something?

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Soulfire Power, -1 refresh?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 11:20:19 AM »
The initial -3 power gives you 2 stress boxes, a consequence, and the ability to use Soulfire.

Every refresh you invest afterwards gives an extra stress box.

So -4 would give you 3 stress boxes, a consequence, and the ability to use Soulfire.
"The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, the sky responded with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again."

Offline Xelah

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:38:22 PM »
That seems rather over priced for a single stress box.  You could take a stunt to get an extra consequence for the same refresh.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 03:58:18 PM »
I don't agree. A third stress box is more powerful than a Minor consequence slot in two ways:
* It absorbs 3 stress rather than 2
* It's not usable against you

Each new stress box after that is just more powerful, as they absorb bigger stress hits. Spend -2 extra on refresh so you have four boxes and you've increased the amount of stress you can absorb by 7, while two more mild consequences would only absorb 4.

Offline Xelah

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:31:56 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but how does 2 more stress boxes translate into 7 stress?

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 10:36:45 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but how does 2 more stress boxes translate into 7 stress?

Because each stress box adds onto the previous one. A 3rd stress box corresponds to 3 available stress, and 4th is worth 4 available stress--so combined, that's 7 stress.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Xelah

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:58:20 PM »
That sounds like how the Greek government does math.  At the end of the day, you still only have 4 stress boxes... which means three usable stress since filling the last box takes you out.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 11:06:02 PM »
Um, no. Reread the rules on stress on p202 of Your Story. They very clearly state that a 2 stress hit fill he second box and only the second box, and so on. If the box in question is filled, you "roll up" and fill the next higher.

This is one of the things that make Toughness strong. With nothing but Good Endurance and Inhuman Toughness someone would need to hit you for 8 stress to go straight to dealing consequences without using your Catch. An 8 stress attack is reduced to 7 by the Armor, filling the 5th stress box and a Mild consequence.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »
That sounds like how the Greek government does math.  At the end of the day, you still only have 4 stress boxes... which means three usable stress since filling the last box takes you out.

Filling the last box of your stress track doesn't take you out, either...exceeding it does. I would second Cadd's advice and review the stress rules.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Xelah

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 11:20:44 PM »
Ah, my bad.  My group just started playing again once we got paranet papers.  Thanks.