Author Topic: Watsonian McAnally: the son of the chief physician.  (Read 29136 times)

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
Re: Watsonian McAnally: the son of the chief physician.
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »
@EG I prefer to think of Harry as the choosing one instead lol. It's possible, because most of Harry is the chosen one is perception, that Harry won't be the central hero, for the end at all, but more akin to the immenence Gris, the power behind the hero. He certainly managed to do a number on butters. Impact will and the alpha's, Molly, Murphy, and indirectly but to an even greater degree, Thomas. Mmm pure WAG but what if
(click to show/hide)

I could live with it but I just don't see it being the case. Rather Harry's 'choosing' ultimately ends up surrounding himself with allies, resources and abilities for anytime he ultimately needs them for his task as much as it does put them into play in general.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline Shadowsdance

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »
I view the books a little differently from the destiny/fate/chosen one trope.  Yes Harry is Starborn, but he has to choose his path.  To me that is what everything boils down to.  Harry chooses to fight the urges of the Winter mantle.  He chooses to not take advantage of Sarissa.  He chooses to not kill Maeve.  Conversely Karrin chooses to.  Karrin chooses to misuse the sword and break it.  Waldo chooses to overcome his fear and take it up.  Charity chooses to forsake her power.  Even the "Fists of God" aren't really the enforcers of God.  They are the enforcers of choice for the coin holders.  Nicodemus chooses to sacrifice DeeDee just like I believe he chose to sacrifice Jesus for the coins.  (I believe he is Judas).  Why does Mac have to be any different?  People, humans have to choose to let Outsiders into our reality right?  Sure they can batter the gates, but to really get in doesn't someone have to choose it? When Maeve oh lovely Maeve gained the power to lie didn't she have to choose it? If we look at it that way it kind of leaves me with two choices for Mac's real

Offline Shadowsdance

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2015, 09:25:33 AM »
Identity.  (see what I did there  :) ).  He is either the first wizard who let the Outsiders in.  Or he is Lovecraft himself.  He choose to abandon the Outsiders.  Sharkface even says he made his choice.  And Sharky sees him as empty.  Empty of the Outsiders grace.  Remember for Sharky the Outsider gods are the one true dieties.  What do you think?

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »
Mac = H.P. Lovecraft? I would very seriously doubt that. Not saying its impossible. We've had some far fetched ideas thrown about before but for stretches this one is Fantastic Four caliber. Sorry.
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline Shadowsdance

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2015, 01:36:03 PM »
Watcher = author ?   lovecraft was the first one to write about alien deities from outside our reality who had to work through mortal worshippers.  Plus normal men (remember wizards are just men who have access to the forces of the universe) couldn't do much against these beings from outside our reality..  I prolly am over stretching but.... I do like to play with this theory.  What if lovecraft/ mac was their first worshipper and chose to turn away from them when he realized what he'd brought in?  Could make him long lived.  There is a long history in the Dresden verse of classic authors knowing waaaaaaay more than mortals.  Just thinking mac does have an awful.... Chummy... ;) relationship with sharky....  Sorry bout the puns.  Can't help it.

Offline Shadowsdance

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2015, 01:38:46 PM »
And the fantastic four reference = awesome

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
Lovecraft was a teetotaler. He was loquacious. We have millions of words set down in personal correspondence. This doesn't fit Mac.

I rate this Lovecraft theory zero shoggies.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline alllawyersarewizards

• Participant
  • Lex Ubique Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2015, 03:31:12 PM »
I've always just assumed that Mac is The White God, taking a back seat while reality plays itself out. He's always wearing a white shirt, using a white rag.  Harry even desribed Mac's beer as "God's own beer" and the guy has the respect of Odin, Mab, and everyone else.  The only beings who have dared defy him so far are The Outsiders. 

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »
I've always just assumed that Mac is The White God, taking a back seat while reality plays itself out. He's always wearing a white shirt, using a white rag.  Harry even desribed Mac's beer as "God's own beer" and the guy has the respect of Odin, Mab, and everyone else.  The only beings who have dared defy him so far are The Outsiders.
I don't see that as making him a good candidate for TWG. Maybe the White Christ? Though that's doubtful too, since I recall someone describing TWC as never moving without a host following, trumpets blowing, etc. (Mab?, Lash?... don't remember) And, TWC isn't "out" -- meaning he is not/or cannot be involved.

The longer the story goes on w/o a resolution to Mac's identity the closer I think he's going to be in the climax/resolution of the whole story. But TWG? I seriously doubt it.

wizard nelson

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2015, 04:13:30 PM »
I don't see that as making him a good candidate for TWG. Maybe the White Christ? Though that's doubtful too, since I recall someone describing TWC as never moving without a host following, trumpets blowing, etc. (Mab?, Lash?... don't remember) And, TWC isn't "out" -- meaning he is not/or cannot be involved.

The longer the story goes on w/o a resolution to Mac's identity the closer I think he's going to be in the climax/resolution of the whole story. But TWG? I seriously doubt it.
Actually he reminds me very much of TWG in dogma, just some quiet dude chillin on earth living his immortality, out of the game itself.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »

No, that wasn't TWC.  She was talking about the archangels.  Michael was Prince of the Host with all the pomp and ceremony.  Gabriel was the Trumpeter, appearing in a chorus of light. Alfred/Mac Raphael was the Demon Binder, who traps demons in Demonreach takes tasks on his own shoulders.

There's been no mention of TWC being an ongoing character in the Dresdenverse, as far as I can recall.

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »
No, that wasn't TWC.  She was talking about the archangels.  Michael was Prince of the Host with all the pomp and ceremony.  Gabriel was the Trumpeter, appearing in a chorus of light. Alfred/Mac Raphael was the Demon Binder, who traps demons in Demonreach takes tasks on his own shoulders.

There's been no mention of TWC being an ongoing character in the Dresdenverse, as far as I can recall.
Ah... ok. Must have been my interpretation.

Offline Shadowsdance

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »
isn't mac just a human?  I thought that Mr. Butcher had said he was just a human?  Can anyone help?

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2015, 08:48:21 PM »
Jim lies with all the gusto of the Fae.

His exact words were that we haven't seen Mac do anything a human couldn't do.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline ~Shadow~

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »
'Mac has never done anything beyond a vanilla mortal' or something I think it was...