Author Topic: A First Post and maybe some POV from the other end of things?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline PhoenixMcGee

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!

This is my first post, so... bear with me if anything I say here skirts a rule or something. I read the rules but you know how things get your first venture onto a new forum.

I've recently finished my first manuscript at 147,000 words which is at the editor. So, very excited on that end. Working on book two, as well.

I used to work in community management in the game industry, from Aeria games to Paragon Studios where I did a tiny bit of writing on City of Heroes, which I believe Jim played for a bit. I remember running into him once or twice there.

After working in the game industry though, I got myself a job at Smashwords, where I've been for the better part of 3 years working on the vetting team. I remember seeing some posts that people had about Smashwords in this forum and I just wanted to offer up answers to any questions people might have.

Honestly, it's just great to be around writers. Storytelling is my main passion in life, and I hope to make many friends here.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Re: A First Post and maybe some POV from the other end of things?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:00:49 AM »
Welcome!  :D

We're a pretty informal group around here --- about the only thing that's a nono beyond the form rules is posting any stories you're working on.

My background is game writing too -- worked on both Battletech and Valiant Comics RPG lines for Catalyst Games Lab. Co-wrote and self-published one novel and I'm working on the second.

So, enjoy yourself!

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: A First Post and maybe some POV from the other end of things?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 03:29:08 AM »
Good to meet you.  Been writing seriously since december 2011 and published since 2012.  13 books and counting.  I do sci-fi and fantasy.  Been an avid reader and D&D player since I was a pre-teen.

There hasn't been a whole lot of activity here lately but other than the absurd restriction on no discussing what you're actually writing or have written things here are pretty good.

BTW since you work for smashwords, back before I pulled my books off the site I got a check for 100+ dollars.  Unfortunately it was one of those expires in 90 days checks and as I'm living in the philippines and forwarding my mail right now... so anyway smashwords never reissued the check and I never did get my money.  Not that I specifically asked.  Or that its a genuinely significant amount.  I may still have the check I can't cash laying around.

Not too terribly important I guess.

How is smashwords doing lately?  Any new promotional or advertising opportunities available on the site?  I'm going to give amazon 3-4 months to check out what this new paid by page count thing does but due to a number of things I'm toying with the idea of going off the exclusive thing, at least partially.  Back when I was non-exclusive I was just never really able to get any serious traction on other sites than amazon when I tried so it didn't seem worth it.  Maybe if I could get another bookbub lined up it might be worth it to diversify to the other sites again....

Oh well have a good one and enjoy the site.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)