Author Topic: Faith Power Thoughts  (Read 1754 times)

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Faith Power Thoughts
« on: July 16, 2015, 12:25:01 AM »
I was toying around with True Faith power ideas to help someone and thought of this. Any recommendations or changes?

Wielder of Faith - (-1) Requires the Righteousness and Holy Touch Powers.
Your Faith is so profound, it's like a physical force. You can bless mundane objects and imbue them with the power of your Faith for a short time.
Pay 1 FP, choose one mundane object, for the remainder of the scene it gains the following powers:
Holy
Holy Aura (this object projects an aura of holy light similar to a Sword of the Cross)
After the scene is over, the object becomes mundane again.

This object is usable by anyone you hand it too that does not have Holy items as a Catch.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:05:08 AM by moireth »
"The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, the sky responded with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again."

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Faith Power Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:59:05 AM »
A few thoughts:

- In my opinion, Righteousness or Holy Touch allows one to "bless" objects and make them Holy anyway. I wouldn't even require a FP unless it was mid-scene and fighting a demon you say something like "I land next to my golf bag and pick up my four iron--good thing I blessed it--and swing at the demon..." ((Dogma, anyone?)) A maneuver would also work for that case.

- I think giving the ability to make anything a temporary Sword of the Cross reduces the narrative power the Swords bring to the table. Champions of God tend to be pretty FP-laden in my experience, and I expect a person with this power to more or less have a Sword of the Cross (minus All Creatures) on them at any time. And given that they can make mundane items into Holy Weapons, they don't have the issue of trying to carry a big ol' Sword around in broad daylight. Pretty much everyone knows when a Knight walks into a room if he's got a Sword on him...this person would throw off no such warning to others.

- True Aim, IMO, is rather powerful--particularly when the PC also activates Righteousness--and I'm not a big fan of it being a common power in my games, but that's me.

- That said, it seems more or less balanced.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:07:32 AM by dragoonbuster »
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 01:20:39 AM »
Looks really weak to me. True Aim is almost certainly a 1-Refresh Power and making light is a tiny effect. Making objects holy isn't enough to justify 1 Refresh and 1 FP/scene.

You could get a similar effect from this houseruled version of Holy Touch. Maybe give that a try?

If you, bear in mind that the houseruled version is stricter about who it gives a stress bonus against.

Offline moireth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 01:31:33 AM »
It's not for me, someone on reddit asked so I threw that together really quick. He wants to imbue things with Faith to make them stronger. I came up with that as a result. I'm just looking for improvements and suggestions about it.
"The sparkmage shrieked, calling on the rage of the storms of his youth. To his surprise, the sky responded with a fierce energy he'd never thought to see again."

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 01:33:28 AM »
Honestly, I'd just call it a Conviction manoeuvre upon an item and be done with it. Want more than that? Take Refinement and use the Enchanted Items rules to model holy weapons.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 01:35:37 AM »
Maybe drop the cost to 1 Refresh and add some kind of extra effect. Like a new Aspect with a tag, or +2 stress vs unholy creatures.

Also, I don't think making the item lend-able would break anything.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 02:25:32 AM »
A conviction maneuver placed on an object and then handed to someone else is just narrative fluff for passing along a tag.

Put the aspect 'blessed' on an object.
I'd allow you to invoke the aspect to bypass toughness of a creature with a catch of holy for a single hit.

Giving an additional effect when you tag or invoke that aspect should be worth a refresh, depending on what it does. The tag is free but each additional use requires a FP as normal...