Author Topic: Fate Core / Atomic Robo conversion to DFrpg?  (Read 2910 times)

Offline CrackedOzy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Fate Core / Atomic Robo conversion to DFrpg?
« on: March 26, 2015, 08:31:21 PM »
Has anyone seen this? > http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/145833/The-Fate-Codex--Volume-2-Issue-1

I'm about to start a new game and I'm considering using the rules provided to convert to Fate Core. Has anyone tried them?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Fate Core / Atomic Robo conversion to DFrpg?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:57:37 AM »
I've read them. And I'm not a fan, so I won't be trying them. Probably best if I just link to my comments on the issue. (ctrl-F for "Philippe" to see what I've got to say.)

Offline CrackedOzy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 05:52:14 AM »
Well looking at your issues, I don't see anything significantly wrong.

The skill section doesn't say anything about changing the Presence skill. Maybe that's intentional, but I'd expect it to be gone since Fate Core's default list doesn't have it (or social stress in general.)
Similarly, I would've expected to see Fists, Weapons, and Guns replaced with Fight and Shoot. But I'm not certain that that was a mistake.
Page 8 also says that Provoke is much broader than Intimidate, but as far as I can tell the skills are basically identical.
These skill issues are easily fixed.

On page 9, shields are not explained very clearly. The text never actually says they provide armour, but it implies they do and the example sure makes it seem like they do. So...they provide armour, right? The rules text should probably say so.
Minor goof, the example is pretty clear.

On page 8, fallout is explained slightly wrong. It doesn't reduce your roll, it reduces the power of the spell. And its possible effects go beyond just making negative scene Aspects.

And I think that wizard supremacy sidebar is misguided at best.
Care to elaborate?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:01:12 AM »
Like I said, those were minor issues at worst. I only listed them because Mark specifically asked for help editing.

My actual complaint:

Quote from: Me
Not to be negative, but I really didn't like the Dresden Files article. It seemed to miss the things that make DFRPG a good game in its own right, ignoring them in favour of being as Core-like as possible. It would be possible to make a Fate Core/DFRPG game that preserves the strengths of DFRPG, but this article didn't do that.

Care to elaborate?

Shifts of fallout can do anything the GM wants them to. Creating Aspects is just the start.

I think the wizard supremacy sidebar mis-identifies the issues and proposes bad solutions for them. The sidebar is about trying to "get those pesky wizard players using their brains instead of just their fireballs", but honestly wizard supremacy is only really a thing when wizards do exactly that. Fireballs aren't the scary thing about wizards (especially since fire is probably the worst element).

As for the proposed solutions...

-Limiting Refinement to +1 will weaken Wizards massively, but it won't make them well-rounded. It'll just make it impossible for anyone to really specialize in, or be good at, anything. And as a side effect, Focused Practioners get kneecapped.

-I don't think her rationale for removing foci is correct. Foci do get mentioned in play. And it might weaken wizards a bit too much...still, it's the best idea of the three.

-Dividing the mental stress from a big spell into two hits might actually make wizards stronger. It increases the maximum power you can draw by 1, and when you're drawing deep like that you often intend to end the fight right there.

Offline CrackedOzy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 01:23:39 PM »
Shifts of fallout can do anything the GM wants them to. Creating Aspects is just the start.

Can you give some examples, I still don't know what you mean. What kind of fallout effects would you do that aren't covered by aspects?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:30:11 PM »
- Temporary or on-going Environmental damage
- Attacks on allies
- Repercussions such as alerting enemies, or other factions to the scene (police, fire)
- Introducing new enemies to the scene

Kind of depends on the situation.  Lots can be covered by aspects - but not everything.

Offline CrackedOzy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 01:57:45 PM »
Ok, but looking at the article again, it's not like they say fallouts can't be anything but negative scene aspects, they just list that as a quick explanation of how it works. There is an assumption with the rules they give that you have the DF:YS book and will just use their stuff to make some changes, not completely re-write the Evocation rules.

It seems like a lot of nit-picking and dislike of a sidebar, which by it's nature I'd assume is optional. If you don't agree with the basic premise (that wizards are too powerful) then ignore the rules within.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 03:51:39 PM »
Of course it's nitpicking. The guy asked for proofreading. Proofreading is nitpicking.

The real complaint is, as I quoted earlier...

It seemed to miss the things that make DFRPG a good game in its own right, ignoring them in favour of being as Core-like as possible. It would be possible to make a Fate Core/DFRPG game that preserves the strengths of DFRPG, but this article didn't do that.

Ok, but looking at the article again, it's not like they say fallouts can't be anything but negative scene aspects, they just list that as a quick explanation of how it works.

A correct explanation would've been just as quick as the incorrect one they went with.

If you don't agree with the basic premise (that wizards are too powerful) then ignore the rules within.

It's explicitly optional. But even if you agree with that premise, I don't think its suggestions are very good.

Offline quantus2

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 07:26:33 PM »
@CrackedOzy did you try it in the meantime?

Offline zaboron

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »
I tried the conversion and it is a lot more fun than DF:RPG. I am a big fan of Fate and DFRPG is quite far away from the core principles of Fate in some cases. If you want to have more "Fate" in your game then I'd seriously consider using this conversion. Especially Atomic Robo is a significant development and several steps ahead of the comparatively "old' DF:RPG and fixes many issues that annoy me greatly in the original DF rules. I would recommend getting the Atomic Robo book though, you'll have trouble understanding the conversion just using the Fate Codex article.

Offline zakmo86

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »
Has anyone seen this? > http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/145833/The-Fate-Codex--Volume-2-Issue-1

I'm about to start a new game and I'm considering using the rules provided to convert to Fate Core. Has anyone tried them?

So I went and downloaded this and it makes me excited! I'm struggling to understand Skill Modes; it's probably because I've just skimmed through Atomic Robo. Why does the "WARDEN" Mode cost nine? There are seven skills in that Mode.

Also, how do you breakdown the benefits for Stunts?

The only part of this DFRPG to Core "conversion" I'd change outright would be swapping Will and Spellcasting. Spellcasting seems more "action-y," while Will seems more passive. Conviction, in my opinion, is the more "passive" skill when compared to Discipline. It was always a constant, while Discipline was the Skill you rolled.

I wanted to do a Fate Core conversion of DFRPG for games I ran. I'd want the Evocation elements to be more unique or have specific in-game effects. It would have been like in Stormcallers. An example would be blocks made with earth gained +2 duration. Or air gains a +2 when Creating Advantages like Flying Debris. Fire spells gain an additional boost from consequences where you set someone on fire (maybe it was an "upgrade" to the consequence you inflicted for fire). Some such nonsense.

My "home brewed" conversion never got to see any actual game play. If anyone has used these rules from the Codex, I'd love to hear about how it turned out.

Z