Author Topic: He Couldn't Lose [SG Spoilers]  (Read 56042 times)

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: He Couldn't Lose [SG Spoilers]
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »
Not just Ivy's knowledge, but also how she became the Archive. In Death Masks, she says that when her mother gave birth, she went into a persistent vegetative state, and that that was how the Archive always passed from one to another -- at the new Archive's birth. In Small Favor, the story's completely different -- that Ivy's mother killed herself while still pregnant, that the Archive passes upon the death of the previous Archive, and Ivy's situation is wholly different and unprecedented.

Sooo... is there WOJ that this was a mistake, or are we assuming?

Because Small Favor was about preventing the Archive from becoming corrupted, but what if someone wrote down some malicious code that actually rewrote Ivy's memories?
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »

Because Small Favor was about preventing the Archive from becoming corrupted, but what if someone wrote down some malicious code that actually rewrote Ivy's memories?

Pretty sure it is a confirmed ret-con. As for messing with the Archive with malicious code...she's not actually a computer she just gets digital info. And even if it could effect her she would instantly know the remedies to corrupted code too anyway.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »

There's a WoJ that most of what Ivy tells about her purpose is smoke and mirrors since she's running one side of the Oblivion War.  That might extend to her background.

As far as general inconsistencies with the series go, Serack made a huge reference post a while back.  Some things Jim has admitted are mistakes, but some things the beta readers caught that Jim left in on purpose.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2015, 03:24:22 PM »

I dont particularly think so myself, I chalk most of it up to her simply not going into all of her most personal details with a man she'd just met (and only in an official capacity), and to The Council being less that perfectly accurate with modern definitions of Death (a Wide and Grey spectrum in the DV, by all accounts).  If, for example, Ivy's mother tried to kill herself but only managed Brain-Dead instead of All-dead, then both Ivy's description and the Council's tactical assessment would be accurate. 

As far as WOJ, the closest I know of is that he did say he'd intended fro her to be a one-off character, but decided to give her a bigger role after.  But That doesnt actually qualify as a Retcon to me, rather I just call that Story Development. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2015, 03:35:50 PM »
As far as WOJ, the closest I know of is that he did say he'd intended fro her to be a one-off character, but decided to give her a bigger role after.  But That doesnt actually qualify as a Retcon to me, rather I just call that Story Development.

Going from, 'my mother passed the mantle down to me as a result of my birth which left her as a shell' vs 'my mom resented having me as a teen and decided to kill herself' seems like a pretty serious fork in the road to not be considered a ret-con.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2015, 05:28:27 PM »

There are plenty of examples many of them small.  For example, Michael's sudden ability to be a combat medic in SG when he told Harry earlier that Charity was the one with the medical training.

Let me use a classic.  Harry and Lea have a conversation in Changes about her garden that guards his other side.  She notes she was always able to find him because they are so close together.  However, multiple times Harry says that distance in the NN is not like that in the real world.  That being 10 steps away in the Real World could be 1/2 the size of the NN.  So which is it? 

All I was trying to imply is that I take the word of later novels over the earlier ones.  A claim in SF is less likely to be true than one in SG.  Not an absolute, but a weight.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
Let me use a classic.  Harry and Lea have a conversation in Changes about her garden that guards his other side.  She notes she was always able to find him because they are so close together.  However, multiple times Harry says that distance in the NN is not like that in the real world.  That being 10 steps away in the Real World could be 1/2 the size of the NN.  So which is it? 
That's not really an inconsistency.  Faeries are pretty fast in general, and Lea had Maggie Sr.'s NN notes.  Lea has the stamina to not worry much about whatever NN environment she's going into next, so no slowing down there.  Not to mention whatever option Odin came up with post-Chichen Itza is probably available to her in a pinch.  Shadowing Harry shouldn't be all that difficult for Lea.  Basically, "close" is relative to the ability to travel quickly.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2015, 06:00:08 PM »
Not to mention that Lea can probably speed herself up when trying to reach Harry, since he is her Godson.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2015, 06:01:39 PM »
There's also the fact that in Turn Coat, naagloshii don't procreate but in Skin Game we meet the scion of a naagloshii.

I'll... I'll show myself out.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2015, 06:27:21 PM »
There's also the fact that in Turn Coat, naagloshii don't procreate but in Skin Game we meet the scion of a naagloshii.

I'll... I'll show myself out.

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2015, 06:42:11 PM »
Going from, 'my mother passed the mantle down to me as a result of my birth which left her as a shell' vs 'my mom resented having me as a teen and decided to kill herself' seems like a pretty serious fork in the road to not be considered a ret-con.
Admitting Upfront that I could entirely be wrong about this, I dont think it has to be.  Takes a bit of Fae reading of the statements, but that sort of word game is entirely understandable for that particular subject, especially during a first meeting with a known maniac. Check it out: 

(click to show/hide)

So the Bolded bit is the key, as I see it.  It can be read as "This was my inescapable birthright, just as it was Mom's" instead of "The Archive Construct Passes to the new host at the moment of Birth."  After that everything fits:  She is effectively dead, just as both Ivy and Luccio said, and none of the rest was in conflict.  You simply have to read "Gig" as the Responsibility of the Archive, rather than the magical construct itself.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2015, 06:55:07 PM »
Admitting Upfront that I could entirely be wrong about this, I dont think it has to be.  Takes a bit of Fae reading of the statements, but that sort of word game is entirely understandable for that particular subject, especially during a first meeting with a known maniac. Check it out: 

(click to show/hide)

So the Bolded bit is the key, as I see it.  It can be read as "This was my inescapable birthright, just as it was Mom's" instead of "The Archive Construct Passes to the new host at the moment of Birth."  After that everything fits:  She is effectively dead, just as both Ivy and Luccio said, and none of the rest was in conflict.  You simply have to read "Gig" as the Responsibility of the Archive, rather than the magical construct itself.

Still doesn't jive with the latter info in SmF:

(click to show/hide)

The issue is not HOW the Archive mantle is passed (in the what she gets and from whom sense), its the description Ivy gives in the passage you just put. She describes it as if giving birth to her specifically caused the mantle to flow and once that was done her mother essentially ceased to be. Now we find out later than not only is an Archive mantle meant to be passed to a woman who is fully grown, but also has already had a daughter of her own. The Grandmother would have led a full life, not dying in childbirth in order to conceive a new vessel for the Archive, and so on. The outlier here is Ivy's story, her grandmother died in an accident and her mother was much too young (and still pregnant) and didn't want the responsibility of a task she ought not to have had for another 15-20 years. So she killed herself and passed the power on to her newborn (or her death resulted in the pregnancy).

Either way we have two conflicting 'ways' and timelines of how an Archive is made. One has Ivy tell us it happens at childbirth, and then Luccio tells us you inherent in when you're a relatively grown woman with a family all your own. I get what you are saying about the gig part but its not really how the scene reads when she talks about everything flowing into her from her mother. Her birth is the reason it occurred, so she got the gig in every sense...responsibility AND construct.  Hence, ret-con.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:00:40 PM by Eldest Gruff »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »
There's no fae word games. In Death Masks and in Small Favor, the explanations for how the Archive works are described in ways that are directly in conflict with one another and are mutually exclusive.

Ivy in Death Masks: Says she got it when she was born, and this is how the Archive has always worked.
Luccio in Small Favor: Ivy got the archive at her mother's death, which is how the Archive always worked.

Ivy in Death Masks: All Archives got it at birth.
Luccio: Ivy is extremely unusual and dangerous because to our knowledge she's the only Archive that got it at birth.

Ivy in Death Masks: Is comforted by the knowledge that her mother lives on in her head through her memories.
Luccio: Ivy knows that her mother killed herself to spite her.

None of those are at all compatible. Either Ivy told a pointless lie (seriously, "I don't want to tell you and I don't have to tell you," is leagues simpler and expected of some supernatural entity) and made up a story from wholecloth, or it's a Retcon. Retcon's just simpler.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2015, 07:30:03 PM »
Still doesn't jive with the latter info in SmF:

The issue is not HOW the Archive mantle is passed (in the what she gets and from whom sense), its the description Ivy gives in the passage you just put. She describes it as if giving birth to her specifically caused the mantle to flow and once that was done her mother essentially ceased to be. Now we find out later than not only is an Archive mantle meant to be passed to a woman who is fully grown, but also has already had a daughter of her own. The Grandmother would have led a full life, not dying in childbirth in order to conceive a new vessel for the Archive, and so on. The outlier here is Ivy's story, her grandmother died in an accident and her mother was much too young (and still pregnant) and didn't want the responsibility of a task she ought not to have had for another 15-20 years. So she killed herself and passed the power on to her newborn (or her death resulted in the pregnancy).

Either way we have two conflicting 'ways' and timelines of how an Archive is made. One has Ivy tell us it happens at childbirth, and then Luccio tells us you inherent in when you're a relatively grown woman with a family all your own. I get what you are saying about the gig part but its not really how the scene reads when she talks about everything flowing into her from her mother. Her birth is the reason it occurred, so she got the gig in every sense...responsibility AND construct.  Hence, ret-con.
Precisely; That is one, and the most common, way to read her statement.  I was offering a differing interpretation that I believe would solve all the conflicts.  All it would take is the interpretation that nobody actually said the Archive construct always passed at birth, and that Ivy was telling Harry that She was Born with that Fate/Destiny/Job/Gig, and her mother was equally bound to said Fate at Birth.  A prince was still Born to be a King (ie the circumstances of his birth are the only requirements for that gig) even if he is not usually invested with the Full power at birth.

It's a little condescending of an explanation of a hereditary [insert synonym for "mantle" here, because it's not one of those specifically], but not actually a Lie. 

There's no fae word games. In Death Masks and in Small Favor, the explanations for how the Archive works are described in ways that are directly in conflict with one another and are mutually exclusive.

Ivy in Death Masks: Says she got it when she was born, and this is how the Archive has always worked.
Luccio in Small Favor: Ivy got the archive at her mother's death, which is how the Archive always worked.
Per the quote I posted, that's not what she said.  It is, I admit, the most common and arguably the most logical interpretation, however.
Ivy in Death Masks: All Archives got it at birth.
Luccio: Ivy is extremely unusual and dangerous because to our knowledge she's the only Archive that got it at birth.
Per the quote I posted, that's not explicitly/literally what she said.  It is, I admit, the most common and arguably the most logical interpretation, however.  It all hinges on whether she was interpreting the question of her "gig" as Archive being the Fate/Duty of it, or the actual
Ivy in Death Masks: Is comforted by the knowledge that her mother lives on in her head through her memories.
Luccio: Ivy knows that her mother killed herself to spite her.
  "Comforted" is a pretty big stretch.  That implies positive emotions, or really any emotions at all, which were not evident in that scene.  The closest she gets is referring to her mother as "Free of It".  Otherwise she jsut tells Harry that she has no need to be Sorry for her mother dying because she knows

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2015, 07:48:19 PM »
Precisely; That is one, and the most common, way to read her statement.  I was offering a differing interpretation that I believe would solve all the conflicts.  All it would take is the interpretation that nobody actually said the Archive construct always passed at birth, and that Ivy was telling Harry that She was Born with that Fate/Destiny/Job/Gig, and her mother was equally bound to said Fate at Birth.  A prince was still Born to be a King (ie the circumstances of his birth are the only requirements for that gig) even if he is not usually invested with the Full power at birth.

'With it' in the abstract sense certainly. But not 'with it' in actuality. For two reasons, A) a prince can be born destined to be a King but die young and never reach that potential and B) because she wasn't born with a destiny per that description on her part...she was born with it ALL, her mother emptied like a cup and flowed it all into her as she was being pushed out. So while I understand the interpretation, within your own supporting passage is the same girl saying she was born with it all wholesale...not just a destiny but an actuality.

"Comforted" is a pretty big stretch.  That implies positive emotions, or really any emotions at all, which were not evident in that scene.  The closest she gets is referring to her mother as "Free of It".  Otherwise she jsut tells Harry that she has no need to be Sorry for her mother dying because she knows

Well if her eyes turning 'wistful and distant' are any indicator she was perfectly capable of feeling at least sadness and probably no small degree of regret for what ultimately reads like a child who knows full well that she is the reason her mother died and essentially that she killed her by absorbing the Archive away from her mother at birth. As opposed to, as we find out later, a girl who knows her mother killed herself rather than be Ivy's mother...who isn't in a persistent vegetative state but gone entirely and who didn't die an essentially noble death, letting all that she was flow into her daughter so that she might have life but a girl who saddled her unborn (or barely born) child with this burden.

The tones are off in the two conversations (especially Ivy's) to fit the 'facts' as we know them per Luccio into the interpretation of the scene with Harry and Ivy, (without a level of hurdling that while I don't fault you if you'd rather see it that way to try and reconcile the scenes, I can't), when the most likely and obvious answer is Jim changed his mind and now we're stuck with a bit of a discrepancy.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:03:23 PM by Eldest Gruff »