Author Topic: Review of Paranet Papers  (Read 2402 times)

Offline coboney

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Review of Paranet Papers
« on: May 08, 2015, 07:55:41 PM »
Hello guys,

I've been registered for a while but mostly lurk here when I want inspiration and ideas that you guys toss out as well as some of the wonderful discussions that go on. So its with a bit of trepidation that I make my first post a bit self promotional.

I'm a reviewer at TechRaptor (or have been for the past 8 months or so ) and I got to do my first tabletop ones really recently with the Paranet Papers (I did DFRPG vol 1 and 2 just to provide a basis for that review basically). I found the book to be pretty good on the whole with a few weaknesses but a good read as one would expect as the writing in it was again top notch.

Just a little snippet from it here:
On the whole, the Paranet Papers is basically more Dresden Files. It updates for a couple of novels, writes some really interesting settings, and tosses in a bit of crunch. If you were looking for any major fixes or tweaks to the system, that’s not here and I suggest continuing to wait until Dresden Files Accelerated comes out using Fate Accelerated. On the other hand, if you want to dive into the universe of the Dresden Files, or use a similar urban fantasy and hack it up with Fate V3 rules (or use an online conversion guide for Fate Core), this is a well-written book with great art and tons of ideas.

If you want to give the thing a read it would be appreciated and it can be found at: http://techraptor.net/content/dfrpg-paranet-papers-review-paranormal-explored, and I'd love to hear your feedback on the review (and if you want the original ones too). I am aiming to do more tabletop reviews so some feedback on it would be great.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Review of Paranet Papers
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 12:07:45 AM »
Good, thorough review. I'm going to bookmark that comment about the Fomor and see if I can sneak in some details when working on Dresden Files Accelerated Edition. (I'm its lead settings writer.)

Thank you for the kind words and constructive feedback! Will pass this along to the rest of the team. :)
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline coboney

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 12:36:09 AM »
Thanks,

Would love to see some sneak in there! Out of curiousity, how far up is the accelerated version going? Just to Even Hand or is it going to try and go up through Skin Game?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 01:16:53 AM »
A very solid review. I might be biased, though, since my impressions were quite similar to yours. And reviews always look better when you agree with them.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 01:39:52 AM »
Thanks,

Would love to see some sneak in there! Out of curiousity, how far up is the accelerated version going? Just to Even Hand or is it going to try and go up through Skin Game?

SKIN GAME. :)
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline coboney

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 03:11:34 AM »