Author Topic: The Fourth Holy Sword  (Read 40950 times)

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
Re: The Fourth Holy Sword
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »
There was an alternate theory that the fourth archangel was actually Uriel, who, befitting his role in-series as Heaven's spymaster, provided Soulfire to a mortal instead of a sword.

I had not seen that one...but based on what I outline about the who represents the swords and why, plus Uriel's connection to the guy who wielded Amoracchius, I figure he's a custodian too. He did show up as just that in his first guise after all ;)
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 07:53:04 PM »
If Raphael and his Grace are tied up in Demonreach and MacAnally's, how'd he ever get around to giving anyone a sword?

Maybe the Wardenship of Demonreach is the fourth Archangel's gift.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »
If Raphael and his Grace are tied up in Demonreach and MacAnally's, how'd he ever get around to giving anyone a sword?

Maybe the Wardenship of Demonreach is the fourth Archangel's gift.

Well the idea was the sword was gifted to Roland before he gives up his Grace to Merlin, who if you take Griffyn's theorizing to heart could have been nearing the end of his life around 800 A.D. Charlemagne was born fifty years prior and had his paladins well settled before 800. So that would be how  :)
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 08:22:34 PM »
You've also got this quote from SG:

Quote from: Skin Games
“I didn’t choose for it to do that,” I said. “Seriously. There might be some kind of copyright infringement going on here.”

Uriel smiled again.“I must admit,” he said, “I never foresaw that particular form of faith being expressed under my purview.

Now granted this could be taken in many ways, but it sounds like Uriel was "in charge" of the Lightsaber at that point.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
You've also got this quote from SG:

Now granted this could be taken in many ways, but it sounds like Uriel was "in charge" of the Lightsaber at that point.

Uriel does have a ton of faith, in the mission, in the people he interacts with...he could totally be Fidelacchius' 'watcher' too, though I just think its fits a little better with the Trumpeter, Gabriel, loudly and boldy proclaiming. Whereas love endures, is ever present and ever patient. Uriel plays the uuber long games.

It is also possible temporary 'guardianship' might be ascribed at any time from one angel to another  :)

My own views anyways, nothing wrong with switching everyone around a little bit.

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 08:45:56 PM »
While I do not fully agree, since we do not know if each Archangel sponsors a specific holy sword, that was a wonderful read.  I put it up with Ms. Duck's WAGs.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 09:05:30 PM »
While I do not fully agree, since we do not know if each Archangel sponsors a specific holy sword, that was a wonderful read.  I put it up with Ms. Duck's WAGs.

High praise indeed thank you.

Offline Hofner1962

• Conversationalist
  • Commander of the 101st Chairbourne division
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »
that was a great read.  Excellent bringing in the extra sources.
I have nothing to add.
What the hell am I doing here.
I don't belong here.

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 09:28:52 PM »
that was a great read.  Excellent bringing in the extra sources.
I have nothing to add.

Thank you sir

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:31:44 AM by Eldest Gruff »

Offline canpinter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 09:51:15 PM »
that was perhaps the best fan theory i have ever read

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 10:24:38 PM »
that was perhaps the best fan theory i have ever read

I do appreciate it

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 10:27:05 PM »
Just to add, in regards to which sword would be associated with which Archangel, should they actually be sponsoring one in a passive way.

Quote from: Butcher, Jim (2010-04-02). Changes: A Novel of the Dresden Files (p. 229). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.
“Whatever you do, do it for love." - Uriel

As Gruff said, Sanya got Esperacchius (Hope) from MichaelAA.  It seems likely that it was Gabriel trumpeting loudly through Murphy in CHANGES when she briefly wielded Fidelacchius (Faith).  And Michael seemed to be on a first name basis with Uriel in SKIN GAME, having previously wielded Amoracchius (Love).  Seems like a good chance each takes a vested interest in what their sword, and its bearer, is doing.

Also, If Raphael did have a pre-crucifixion Holy Sword, but was otherwise engaged in bartending due to having given up his Grace, then it would explain how the sword could have ended up unmade.

No need for Merlin to step in and stop a death blow.  If the sword was used against an innocent, it would lose its connection to its sponsor, and leave it vulnerable.  Any number of things could have happened to then leave it shattered and broken, just like Fidelacchius.  And with no Jedi faith to encourage another's belief in the broken blade, and no active archangel to oversee its fate, it fell to the wayside of history.

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »
Just to add, in regards to which sword would be associated with which Archangel, should they actually be sponsoring one in a passive way.

As Gruff said, Sanya got Esperacchius (Hope) from MichaelAA.  It seems likely that it was Gabriel trumpeting loudly through Murphy in CHANGES when she briefly wielded Fidelacchius (Faith).  And Michael seemed to be on a first name basis with Uriel in SKIN GAME, having previously wielded Amoracchius (Love).  Seems like a good chance each takes a vested interest in what their sword, and its bearer, is doing.

Also, If Raphael did have a pre-crucifixion Holy Sword, but was otherwise engaged in bartending due to having given up his Grace, then it would explain how the sword could have ended up unmade.

No need for Merlin to step in and stop a death blow.  If the sword was used against an innocent, it would lose its connection to its sponsor, and leave it vulnerable.  Any number of things could have happened to then leave it shattered and broken, just like Fidelacchius.  And with no Jedi faith to encourage another's belief in the broken blade, and no active archangel to oversee its fate, it fell to the wayside of history.

Oh sure many things. Though to be fair IF i'm distinguishing it from the Swords of the Cross (though it would be post crucifixion too), it might might have some slightly different rules surrounding it...but I like the story regarding why either way, that's mostly why I went that route.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:36:55 PM by Eldest Gruff »

Offline Hofner1962

• Conversationalist
  • Commander of the 101st Chairbourne division
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 11:01:50 PM »
One further note on Archangel cum Master Brewer.

Just about any time Harry drinks one of Mac's beers he makes a comment along the lines of
"this is proof there is a god and he wants us to be happy"
What the hell am I doing here.
I don't belong here.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 11:04:55 PM »
Oh sure many things. Though to be fair IF i'm distinguishing it from the Swords of the Cross (though it would be post crucifixion too), it might might have some slightly different rules surrounding it...but I like the story regarding why either way, that's mostly why I went that route.
Understood.  And as we know the swords were active before the crucifixion, all "four" would have simply been Holy Swords before that point in history.  After that, the three active AA's would have the nails added and became the SotC, while the fourth sponsor just grumbled about being left out while wiping his bar down.

One further note on Archangel cum Master Brewer.

Just about any time Harry drinks one of Mac's beers he makes a comment along the lines of
"this is proof there is a god and he wants us to be happy"
There have been quite a few comments along those lines, in regards to him and his drinks.  Cluebats or just poetic license?